3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you guys prepare your Hunting Clothes  (Read 794 times)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you guys prepare your Hunting Clothes
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
I don't do anything special. I wash or dry clean when they get dirty, but I just don't have faith in the scent control stuff. Therefore, I don't do any of the odor control things like special soaps or storing in a bag of pine needles, etc. A deer can smell your body, so it does not make much difference if he can smell your clothes. I think it is best just to carefully hunt the wind. I used to do a lot of odor control but did not see any better results.
Sam

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
I put everything in a plastic bag, hook up my ozone generator and zap em. this leaves them smelling like they have been hanging outside forever with absolutely no odor left at all.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline GardenerHunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
I go to a swimming pool supply store and buy a 50lb bag of Baking soda.I wash all my hunting stuff with it. We also wash all of our regular laundry  with it. We also use All Free and Clear for all laundry hunting and regular. I figure a washer is bound to have hold oder from house hold laundry. I also store all my hunting stuff with cedar chips. A big bag is cheap where ever pet supplies are sold.Take a old sock throw it in with wash and dryer everything is cedar fresh. There are alot of Cedar trees most places I hunt.

Offline DayTripper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 12:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
About the only thin I do is sprinkle in some baking soda on my clothes and make sure I spend a little time standing in the first cow pie that comes along-Elk poo works great too. Bring wind indicator and use it often!
Ditto cow pie and elk poo. I also stopped using fragant soap few couple days before.

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 01:10:00 AM »
I stop at every road kill along the way and get out and roll in it, oh that's what my dog does not me. I use baking soda for laundry and shower with unscented soap about it besides airing out my gear.
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 01:44:00 AM »
I wash mine in the machine with the HS Scent Killer/UV detergent and then dry with the same brand of earth scented dryer sheets.  When I get where I'm going I put a HS wafer on my hat and spray down witht the scent killer.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012, 07:42:00 AM »
I'll hand wash everything with scent free laundry detergent and baking soda. Line dry it outside near a bon-fire, then store everything in plastic bins with some pine branches and oak leaves.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 07:48:00 AM »
I like the elk poo solution, and fresh pee works, too. I rub my clothes with sagebrush as I move around, as well as pine tar. Wood smoke is another scent I like to have on my clothes.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Yelloweye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 08:06:00 AM »
Arm & Hammer unscented wash, Baking soda rinse, sometimes Baking Soda in the storage bag.
I do this in the washer cause my tub got used so until I get a new tub I will have to clean out the washing Mech. & rinse with baking soda. Heavy cloths are stored in a cedar closet. Like to make my own cover sent made from stuff from the area I hunt. But sometimes in the early season that attracts more bees than covers any up I guess. Where I hunt deer seem scarce and are hunted hard try to get an edge even if it just in my head

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »
I don't take any special scent precautions and feel most of the commercial scent eliminators are just another gimmick to separate hunters from their cash.

I hunt the wind, works every time.

I do keep my wool clothes in a tub with some cedar sticks in it. This is to keep moths from munching on my wool, not for scent control.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
Remove from hanger. Put on body. Go hunt. Been doing that since 1967.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
My wool is stored in air tight containers.  I will hang them out a couple weeks before hunting season, then store them back in the containers for the drive to my hunting area.  I wash my hunting tee shirts and moisture wicking under garments in some of the UV free laundery detergent.  I'm starting to believe in that UV free stuff.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Hunter74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
 I play the wind, religiously.  I am thinking now that most times, all the rest really doesn't matter a bit.  If you are upwind. .  you're busted.

ChuckC
BINGO! You can not beat a deer's nose. The biggest trick I've found is to use milk weed seeds to see what the wind is doing. They'll float for a long ways and you can see what the wind is doing right next to you as well as 100 yrds away. It's amazing how things can effect how your wind travels, learning thermals is key. Once you get a good understanding of what the wind and thermals are doing you can hunt what seems like the wrong wind when really your wind is going over the top of the deer or getting pushed out put by a crosswind.

Offline Muss03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
I wash my hunting clothes in the HS scent killer detergent and keep them in a plastic bin until I hunt. I also use the scent free soap and deoderant. Honestly, I started seeing alot more deer and started having much more sucess when I started wearing knee high, rubber boots. I keep them in a seperate plastic bin and spray them down literally, right before I walk to my stand. Prior to that I have watched more than one buck approaching my stand only to stop and tear off the other way as soon as he crossed a trail that I had used.  I keep those boots for bow hunting only and I have had them for years. It has made a huge difference.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
Do the best with what you choose for your clothes, but hunt into the wind!!!

Offline machinist

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by TooManyHobbies:
I just put them on and go. I'd rather hunt than wash clothes.
I am with you, take it off the hanger and go withit!

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
5 gallon bucket full of cold water,1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide 1/4 cup baking soda soak 5 min line dry.If home wife takes care off them.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
Wash, dry, hang, hunt... with the wind in my favor.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2012, 10:05:00 AM »
smoke 'em. Seems to work really well. I rub my boots in the old ashes after the fire is long since out.

Honestly, I have had many deer on public land walk on or across the trail I walked in on without any concern. Obviously, if the deer are downwind, they will smell you no matter what you do. I think the smoke helps eliminate any human scent you might leave behind by rubbing on brush etc. while walking into your hunting area.

The other thing I do is step in a puddle or walk through some water. Smoke and water seem to do a good job. I don't wash wool and I only wash the cottons when they need it with some baking soda.

Your mileage may vary.

God bless,
Charlie

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
Before ever hunt I stand by a smokey fire with my hunting clothes on it's a great cover up.
Larry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©