3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Feed store bag target  (Read 308 times)

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
Feed store bag target
« on: August 23, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
I've read all the posts about DIY target out of feed store bags but nothing was mentioned how to close the bag once stuffed. I got 2 bags today and want to try it out
Thanks
Black Widow PSA II #52 @ 26"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Feed store bag target
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
I stitched mine up with some cheap twine I got from Home Depot. Put holes in with my Jack Knife.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
After stuffing mine with plastic grocery bags I sew it shut with twine and a yarn needle.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
As said above or zip ties work too. When the bag wears out just shove in another one. Won't stop a broad head but does field points.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
If you can keep it dry the best stuffing is tee shirts or rags(take off any zippers or buttons) (buy at church sales or thift)if it's in the weather shrink wrap makeS a (or shopping bags) water proof stuffing. I use power pro fishing line to sew shut.
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
I stuff mine with Wallyworld bags. They even stop a compound arrow. I sew them with an Awl. Check this link.
 https://picasaweb.google.com/101789943398415867999/ShootingRange
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
Thanks! Was thinking same or staples to make it really easy but not sure if would tear
Black Widow PSA II #52 @ 26"

Offline Mike B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
Best thing to use is zip ties.Works better than anything I've tried.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 01:27:00 AM »
I use those black paper clips.  they are real strong, fast and easy.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Mongo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 03:35:00 AM »
I use scraps of fiberglass screen from the local hardware store.  I usually just stitch it up with twine.
If God didn't want man to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 07:44:00 AM »
i put the ends together with 2 peices of 1x2 and 3-4 sheetrock screws and then drill holes an inch in from the ends and hang with rope
Mike

Offline Rigs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
If you use zip ties, just place a piece of rope running with the opening on the bag with the tag ends hanging out both sides.  Roll the rope and bag together (like rolling a sleeping bag) then run the wire ties around and fasten...now you can use the rope to hang the target...  No tear out this way...

Happy hunting,
Jason
Hunting and Fishing ARE family values!  Lifetime member Traditional Bowhunters of Montana, member of Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
I use leather sewing needles with a big eye and braided fishing line in a loose whip stitch. Takes all of about one minute. Don't leave in the sun as it will deteriorate the bag in no time.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 12:38:00 AM »
Years ago I had a hunting buddy who was a meat cutter.  He saved plastic bags and shrink wrap all year.  When he had enough we put it into a burlap sack and closed the top with a sewing awl.  You can find these at most feed stores.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 06:27:00 AM »
I use an awl made for stitching leather baseball/softball mitts and jute cord.  I roll the ends over and then do a running stitch or a series of interupted stitches.   The thick plastic bags used for water softener salt are good.

Offline gokartjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 08:06:00 AM »
I used poly bags for grass seed for years. Now, I have switched to burlap bags from a coffee shop. I havent been shooting at these for too long, but they are holding uop great. I have one stuffed with old clothes, and one with plastic bags. They both stop arrows. I stiched both up with twine and used a paper clip for a needle.

JOn

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »
My bag has foam  that has to be at least 15 years old. I went by a mattress factory and got all the scraps I could load in my truck. All the material starts off as king size width and gets trimmed to the size they are running.

I have recovered this bag or stuffed the material into another bag several times.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
I've had this target since the mid 1990's and I wish I had a dollar for every shot that has been fired into it.  It's got that poly-fill stuffing in it and when the bag getts shot up, I turn it upside down, shove it in a new bag, spray paint a new target on the opposite side and have at it for a few thousand more shots.  You can see in the pic below that I don't even bother stitching the top shut.  Just wrap some parachord around the corners and hang it up on my conduit frame.  I often think about buying a new target, but then think "why".

>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline greenbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »
I twisted the open end of mine up and wrapped it in duct tape.  It now has a little handle for which I can easily grab it.  Stuffing is filled with the fiberglass mesh that came in a previous commercial target.  When that was beaten down by shots (but more so the weather) I sliced it open, discarded the burlap and cardboard and kept the good stuff.  I don't leave it out anymore, and although it is a bit hefty, I now have the duct tape handle to move it in and out doors. When this one is shot through, I'll simply place it in a bigger bag (as shared in another post above).  Keep it simple.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »
Ive always stitched mine with a large needle and braided line.
The great thing about burlap or nylon bags is there ability to hold up well, as well as being cost effective, not only that, if you dont mind just a bit more work you can get creative. [/url] [/IMG]     [/url] [/IMG]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©