3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Guided Elk Hunt  (Read 219 times)

Offline parshal

• Trad Bowhunter
Guided Elk Hunt
« on: August 24, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
I've been training dogs on a 67000 acre ranch in Wyoming that has lots of elk.  They guide on the property and the adjacent ranch for deer, elk, antelope and bears.  I asked about a hunt and the price is $6k plus the license.  It's now in a general hunt area and takes one preference point to draw.  I asked what I'd expect and was told I could expect shots no farther than 30 yards and should hold out for a 290 - 310 inch bull which are fairly common.  The largest bull shot last year was taken by a bow at 12 yards.  They get bulls every year in the mid 350's.  They said if I don't get one with a bow I could come back with my rifle later in the season.

They have no openings until the 2015 season for which I put my name on the list.  All this seems quite reasonable although still expensive.

Thoughts?

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Guided Elk Hunt
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
Pretty expensive thats for sure...but it seems your odds at a "300" bull are pretty good.

I know lots of guided hunts in my area that are close to that dollar amount but a smallish 5 point is all you will most likely have a chance at.

2015 gives you a chance to save...but by then you could have enough preference points for some decent units and probably kill just a big a bull for less money.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline parshal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »
I've got 9 points here in Colorado but I've never been able to even see a bull while hunting!  I'm going to keep saving points here just because it's cheap enough since I live here.  I have the money now but I have no idea if I will in 2015!

Offline JJB2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
Where are you hunting in CO?  

To each his own is my philosophy but personally I'd rather shoot a cow and do it myself than shoot a 400" bull with a guide...and pay $6k to do it.  That's just me.
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
JJ  I have to agree 100%.  I do not dislike guides, but I really like to do it myself whenever I can.

ChuckC

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
With 9 points you can probably hunt unit 61 in 2-4 years.  Depends on how being added to the hybrid draw units effects points.  I have the tag this year so I'll know a lot more about the hunt after a few weeks.

Folks spend $6K on a lot more forgettable vacations than chasing big elk around in the rut.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
I would do it personally.  That's only saving 2k a year for the next 3 years.   If you think about it you could easily spend $1000 a year huntinc locally between gas travel etc time off of work. The whole enchilada.  Only to see more hunters than elk till you draw a good tag. (years in some cases)  another thing we have to contend with this year is that a lot of the OTC unlimited units we have here are currently under logging operations roads are closed there's no access. And if there is. You wont hear bugles over Trucks and chainsaws.  Oh ya and some of the sell near 4000 tags.
Private hunting property is more valuable than gold in my opinion

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Glunt:
With 9 points you can probably hunt unit 61 in 2-4 years.  Depends on how being added to the hybrid draw units effects points.  I have the tag this year so I'll know a lot more about the hunt after a few weeks.

Folks spend $6K on a lot more forgettable vacations than chasing big elk around in the rut.
Agreed...unit 61 is not far off from you and has lots of 300" bulls.

But if you have the money now, it would be a hunt you won't soon forget. I killed my first bull with a bow (not 300")on a guided hunt and I don't care if t was guided or not, I hunted hard and lots of opportunities went by before it all came together...just cause it is guided don't make it a gimmie.

If you go in 2015 and learn a few things from the guide...when you use your points later on in a good unit, your chances of scoring then will be better. I learned a ton on my guided hunt and the same tricks I learned then (bout 12 -13 years ago) I have used many times over since and have killed bulls because of it.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Geezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
A guided hunt; especially with a good outfit is something all of us should try once though.  A ranch with quality opportunities probably sells all its hunts....better do it.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
RMEF / NWTF

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
I have hunted Elk with Guides in NM & Utah. Living in PA makes it hard to do it myself. I appreciate the Guys who put in the time & effort to do it themselves. I have my own business and at this time in my life cannot take off the time to do it myself. The Guides that I have hunted with felt like you were just hunting with a buddy that knew the area. I think $ 6000.00 is a decent price. I have paid more and I have paid less. Do what feels right to you. As long as it is free range Elk with Trad Gear you will have a blast.

My opinion, Randy Chamberlin
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline AZWarts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
I would try and go to AZ, NM, or UT they quality of trophies are quite different. Atleast for here 350s get passed up until the last day. With that said it is also a lot harder to draw a tag but well worth it IMO.
A superior pilot uses superior judgment to keep from using his superior skills.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
I have 9 points in Colorado as well. I'm hoping just to hunt an area on my own and get into more elk than other hunters. I have never been guided but prefer to do it on my own as others said but it's your decision there is nothing wrong with it if you can afford it.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »
I hunt elk every year in colorado for about 1500.00 driving from michigan and have done this for 16 years. I have killed seven elk in this time including 5 bulls, one in the 320s. I have alot of self satisfaction in having done it on my own and would rather do it 4 times the way I do than spend 6 grand for someone elses idea of a good hunt, thats just how I see it.

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by DWT:
I hunt elk every year in colorado for about 1500.00 driving from michigan and have done this for 16 years. I have killed seven elk in this time including 5 bulls, one in the 320s. I have alot of self satisfaction in having done it on my own and would rather do it 4 times the way I do than spend 6 grand for someone elses idea of a good hunt, thats just how I see it.
Hey DWT, you wanna stop in Southwest PA and pick me up on your way next year? LOL!!!  I'm dying to do an elk hunt.  :)
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline k. sisco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
Fair chase is fair chase,have a good time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©