3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Suggestions on quietening a bow  (Read 516 times)

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
Suggestions on quietening a bow
« on: August 08, 2007, 08:53:00 AM »
A buddy of mine dropped a bow by my house the other evening to see if I could set it up to shoot quieter.  It is a Hoyt GameMaster riser with Win/Win limbs.  The bow shoots very hard but makes a pretty loud "whack" with each shot.  When I got it, it had an endless loop string (nylon serving on the loops) with 4 small rubber string silencers.  Also had moleskin under the string on the limb tips and 2 sets of the big compound limbsavers on it.  Between the limbs and the riser there is some sort of rubber pad material.

I started by twisting a DF97 flemish string last night.  I'll serve it this afternoon and install Hush Puppy silencers, but I am skeptical that this will completely take care of it.  Anybody have any suggestions where the noise may be coming from.  The limbsavers are positioned about 4" from the riser and 4" from where the string makes contact with the limb.  I'm curious if the limbsaver positioning could be adding mass that is contributing to the problem rather than helping.  I'd welcome any input since I mainly shoot longbows and have'nt dealt with trying to set up a recurve like this before.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Suggestions on quietening a bow
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 08:55:00 AM »
Limbsavers should only be at the fades! The ones farther out are adding mass where you don't want it.

Das Kinetic sells stuff for quieting the Gamemaster.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 09:10:00 AM »
Greg, I've shot a GM set up with top W/W limbs and it took some trying to get it quiet. Like Dave says, first step is the kit from DAS...that made the most difference. Second thing is bowhush wrapped around the loop and down the contact point of the string. With Hushpuppies and these two things, we were able to get it pretty quiet, but only after a lot of fiddlin on brace height. That second set of limbsavers is really only adding weight and reducing performance.

Have fun with it, once you get used to the grip it's very conducive to good accuracy...at least for me. Good performing bow once the stock "dog" limbs are replaced.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by JC:
Have fun with it, once you get used to the grip it's very conducive to good accuracy...at least for me. Good performing bow once the stock "dog" limbs are replaced.
It is going back to the owner when I get it set up.   :wavey:     I'm sticking to my longbows.  It shoots like a rocket and would'nt take me long to get used to it, but I'd feel like I was carrying a boat anchor through the woods.

I'll check out the kit from DAS.

David,
Thats what I thought about the limbsavers out near the tips as well.  I'll go ahead and take them off.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »
I have one that I have made no headway with getting it quiet.I got frustrated after a couple of days so it is just resting on the rack right now.I love the way it shoots but will have to go back to it after a break to start again.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 11:51:00 AM »
Just got a little more accurate info on the bow.  The limbs are Dalaa limbs and have the DAS bushings in them.  The limb pockets have the DAS pads on them as well.  I'm a little concerned about getting it real quiet after talking to the original owner of the bow.  

What is the recommended brace height range?

Is the bow hush material the same as the material the guy that made the mountain muffler strings used?

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »
Bow hush was before MTN Muffler.

Do the limbs have DAS Bushings or GM bushings made by DAS? DAS bushings would make for a loud bow and bad fit.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by vermonster13:
Do the limbs have DAS Bushings or GM bushings made by DAS? DAS bushings would make for a loud bow and bad fit.
Good question.  Unfortunately, I don't know.  The guy that put the bow together ordered the GM riser from a local Hoyt dealer.  He then purchased a set of the Silver Dalaa limbs from 3Rivers.  He bought the pads to go between the limbs and riser from DAS and also added 2 sets of the large compound limbsavers.  I have'nt had the limbs off the riser to check the fit and see what is going on there.  I gotta believe there should be some solution to make it reasonably quiet, but I did'nt get much of a vote of confidence from the guy who put it together.  How do I identify which bushings are in the limbs?

Man! I love my longbows!  ;)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
If he bought them from 3 Rivers than the odds are he never switched the bushings to the ones for his riser. The bushings are to big! Going to be making some noise with that loose fit. and not doing the limbs much good either.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »
Also the Hoyt risers can be finicky about non Hoyt limbs
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »
David, what did you mean by added mass wieght to the limbs?  :confused:  I put some on my limbs the other day and never thought anything about it untill u said added MASS WIEGHT too the limbs...  :help:
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »
Limb savers beyond the fades rob performance from the working part of the limbs. All you're doing is adding extra weight and slowing them down.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
I just got off the phone with the guy who put the bow together (again).  He actually bought the limbs from David Sosa and they do have the GM bushings.  Also, the string came from DAS and is the HP 8125 string with the silicone sleeves and bowjacks string silencers.  I'm becoming less optimistic the more I learn about this bow.

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
10-04. I'm goina take them off right now. Thanks, I didn't think about the extra wieght thats also smacking at my limbs every time i shoot. That may after some time hurt the limbs.I'm not going to take that chance. Thats why my lower limb pocket's a popin.  :knothead:    :thumbsup:
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »
The Jacks never did as good for me as plain whiskers. They add a lot of weight to the string(except the minis). The silicone sleeves are pretty much a waste from my experience too. Terrys stuff works much better.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »
I'm gonna try a flemish DF97 string with "Full-Blown" Hush Puppies.  I don't have any Bow Hush, but depending on how this helps I can order some.  I was having a little noise problem with my metal riser ACS-CX with the light weight 41# limbs.  20 strand Hush Puppies fixed it right up.  They have become my favorites.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »
Keep us informed and good luck.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »
GM's are known to be loud; but my guess is the arrows are light too.....................

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »
I own a GM and took the following steps to make it quite. Changed the stock string to a FF+  flemished 18st with rubber whiskers. I then put paper (from a folder) between the limbs. I used 10gr per # arrows. Small limb savers before the fadouts. Mine is real quite. there are outher tricks that can be done also........Mark
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
GM's are known to be loud; but my guess is the arrows are light too.....................
You are correct.  52# bow / 500 gr. arrows.  They were the heaviest arrows I had that were the right spine.  Bow shoots like a rocket, if I were shooting it I would try something around 650 gr, but I'm not sure it would quieten it a whole lot.  I do have some weight tubes I can stick in just to see.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©