3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow is slapping the top of my hand  (Read 326 times)

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow is slapping the top of my hand
« on: August 24, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
Sorry for another spine question, but I have a feeling that's the direction this question is going in. I'm shooting a #50 two tracks ambush (I love this bow !) & have been having this weird problem of the arrow fletch chewing up the top of my hand.

Specs:
Two Tracks Ambush (short recurve)

Weight is 50 lbs. @ 28 inches

My draw is almost 27 inches

Shooting 55 - 60 spine cedar arrows

Shoting 2 fingers under using a tab

125 grain tips

I shoot the arrows fine, nice grouping, have had a friend watch the flight & he says it looks good. I shot some 60 - 65 spine arrows & the hand slap went away, but so did my grouping. I have moved my nock up & down as far as is safe to do so. I have trimmed up the fletching lead & even wrapped sinew over it & it will still chew up the top of my hand after 25 arrows.

I'm going to a 3D shoot tomorrow & want to use the bow I will be hunting with & I realized that I might tear up my hand shooting all day at a 3D shoot & am looking for some last minute advice.

I say it's a spine question as the slap went away with higher spine arrows & the poor grouping could of just been me. So I guess I want to confirm what you think I should be using for spine first.

Thanks !
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow is slapping the top of my hand
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
Try cock feather in or heat and turn your nocks slightly.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
Thanks for the quick, easy advice, heading out the door to quick try that !

Thanks !
Dan

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
Definitely try cock feather in first but I do agree it may be too weak of spine, especially if your bow is using a non-stretch type string like fastflight.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
I am using fast flight string, Thanks for having me add that forgotten spec.

I guess I'm also asking, because if I need a stiffer spine tomorrow might be the place to buy & try stiffer arrows. I'm going to the Lapeer Michigan trad shoot tomorrow.

Dan

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
I thought cock in might of fixed it, but every 3rd arrow is still slapping the top of my hand. I did make sure it was not always the same arrow as I marked the ones that slapped me. It is not hitting my hand hard, just enough to leave a light red welt, but after about 25 arrows that "light welt" starts to turn into a "heavy welt" after 50 arrows we might have light blood starting.  

Dan

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
Ive had a couple of fickle bows that did the same thing, I found that by going 5 to 10 lbs under spine it took care of the problem lickety split.
Also you might want to check your nock location, as that might contribute to the problem as well.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
I would shoot it through paper and if that doesn't produce the culprit you might adjust the brace a bit.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
I just measured my nock height, it is 5/8     :confused:  
But that's what I ended up at to get minimum hand slap & decent groupings, desperate men start doing desperate things & I was moving the nock all over the place & that's where it ended up at.

Dan

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
I also use a two tracks ambush recurve. FYI I love it! its a lil speed demon. It sounds to me like your way under spined. I shoot carbons now but when I shot woodies out of it I was in the 80-85lb range before they were even close to darts with 125gr heads, and my bow pulls 60lbs at my draw.I'd get a test kit with the lowest set being 60lb if I were you and go from there.

Also, I personally found on that short little bow my "sweet spot" is when its braced at 7 1/2 to 7 3/4 inches and the nock is 5/8. good luck to ya
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
All the advice above is good, with a little hit and miss you will figure it our but until you do, get yourself a leather work glove for your bow hand and enjoy the 3D shoot.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the specs on your Ambush Kamm1004, I too love that little Ambush & I do remember Chuck telling me it likes heavier spined arrows, I guess I just wanted to check with you guys before blindlly buying heavier spined arrows tomorrow, & with that said I wonder how much heavier do I go ?

Thanks for the glove advice JamesV, I better see if I can find my old golf glove as that was very light leather.

Dan

Edit: I just checked my brace & it is at 7 1/2 inches

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
I've got a fat hand and like to be close to the shelf. I have a lot of feather burn.
I use a glove with some leather sewed on top of my pointer knuckle.
Before trying anything else I'd  suggest the paper tuning.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
danD, Go heavy. like 65-70lb spine and work up with 125gr points, just my opinion. also, for grins, set your brace to 8inches. shoot a few arrows or a group. pay attention to noise as it can be a factor with this bow. also pay attention to the arrow hitting your bow hand of course. work down to 7 3/4 inch brace, do the same thing. then try 7 1/2, where your at now. pay attention to the differences and what fits you best. Chucks grip forces your hand close to the shelf which is a good thing and helped my accuracy alot. You'll get used to the grip, it took me a while but if you play with how your grip it and make sure the bow is in the meat of your thumb so its got bone alignment and has no "play" from your wrist you should be good.

P.s. if your having issues with a little noise like I did with mine. Get bow hush. Mines quiet as a church mouse now. and tune once its on as it could possibly affect things. good luck!!
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
Sounds like your nocking point is off.
I was shooting a string I just made before serving it and no nocking point on and put a feather in my hand. I then served it and put a nock on it and it is just fine.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
Thanks for all the advice kamm1004 !

I do love the bow ! In fact I let Chuck know I want another one !  

It's my fault I waited to the last minute to tweak in this minor problem, I have backed off on practicing and I want to shoot this bow tomorrow & shake the dust off !  

With all the advice I at least know a few things to try tomorrow & heavier spine arrows are on my wish list as Chuck said the Ambush likes em on the heavy side & I know why as these arrows are getting down there lighting fast !

Dan

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
Try putting a little bump under you arrow rest to jack up your arrow a tad. Also, if you haven't already, put a drop of fletch tite or feather adhesive on the front end of you feathers to prevent the quill from digging into your flesh.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
I'd slap it back!
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »
This may be a simple diagnosis. Then again..
If you are rt handed and the arrows are rt wing fletched you may get this problem. I do. I shoot same arrows fletched left wing, no problem. The down side to left wing is it will loosen, unscrew the points over time. A touch of fletchtite in the threads fixes it. I shoot wood so that isnt an issue.
DonD

Offline twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »
Is this possible...

I think I read you say it was every third arrow... is it possible that the first 2 are being shot in a certain way... and on the 3rd your either fatigued or your hand placement is varying... heeling the bow more or ??? that's causing the difference and the arrow to slap your hand...

Just a thought...

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©