3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead sharpeners  (Read 639 times)

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead sharpeners
« on: August 08, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »
Hi guys.  I need some info/help on choosing a sharpening system for my two blade Zwickey Delta's.  I have been looking at the KME sharpener but it doesn't come with the stones in a kit where I have found it.  I am also looking at the twin file setup from 3rivers/kustomking for two blade broadheads.  What I need is some good info from those that have used these or who could suggest a better way altogether to get my heads as sharp as possible.  Thanks for any and all help.  Mark  :help:
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead sharpeners
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
Hi Mark,
I always mounted the head on a piece of shaft, held the shaft in a vise with the head verticle and then used a file.  It was easy to control the angle with two hands on the file.  I haven't had any experience with a sharpener on the Zwickey.  Some may recommend the wheelie sharpener you see on the Simmons broadhead website.  Some guys speak very highly of it.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »
Im in the same boat. If you do a search for kme on this site you will find alot of info. I tried using just a file and did ok, but I kept taking a lot of steel off. And was not as sharp as I would like. I received my KME last night from 3 rivers and stayed up until 3am trying to get a good edge using the wet/dry sandpaper method. I was using the paper dry, maybe thats why I couldn't get that hair popping edge others have expereinced. Will try again tonight. Good luck.
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »
http://www.razoredgesystems.com/

This link should help. They make a nice little jig called the "arrowhead jig". They also sell a kit which uses Japanese water stones. I've been using the jig, as has Charlie Lamb, for about 35 years now but I found the water stones to be soft and they hollowed out after some use. I use the jig with DMT  stones and the heads come out as sharp as anything I have ever seen...a true razor edge, which I prefer. I sometimes use a file or a wheelie like device to get the edge to a burr and that is when the razoredge jig shines the best...turning that burr into a scary sharp edge that you can, literally, shave with.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 02:48:00 PM »
I have tried must things; file and stone holders, 'paper sharpening wheel system' etc, etc. They all work.
What works best is lots of practice with whatever you choose to use.
Personally I'm back to plain filing till the head will cut some hair and then either strop on cardboard or leather, or simply an 'accusharp' till the head is really sharp.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 02:55:00 PM »
I use a single cut mill bastard file lightly flipping the burr back and forth till it flakes off then polish edge with Chromium Oxide on piece of leather.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
same as joebuck mill bastard file real good then i use a steel to finish.  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline shawnee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
I also use a file for most of my broadhead sharpening, but for quick fixes, or for anyone who is "sharpening challenged", the accusharp is really hard to beat.

Like Bjorn says, the best thing is to practice until you become proficient with whatever system you are using.
Well, who'da thunk it!

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 03:16:00 PM »
I am another "Accusharp" user and believer..."so easy even a caveman can do it".
Lon Scott

Offline DJT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
Mark go to the KME website they sell it in a kit with stones.  if you have the holder they also sell loose stones and the customer service is great.  I have not use a better product for sharpening heads.  Incredibly well built entirely in the US, easy to use and gets your heads scary sharp.  Definitely try it.
d

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline DTS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »
Go to one of the sponsor's Alaska bowhunting supply and see the sharpener he has.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »
I just bought a DMT broadhead sharpener from Three Rivers.  Works great on two blades with straight edges.  Razor edge in no time at all.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »
I use a file initially to get the angle correct. I finish with a Tru-Angle stone and strop it on leather.
Damn Nice guy

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
The Li'l Shaver does a great job on the 2-blade.  A Simmons "wheelie" works good on both 2 and 4 blade.  Never could keep the angles correct with a file without "help" from some kind of guide.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
I'm back to free filing without guides or attachments followed by 'Accusharping'. The results speak for themselves..........I am hairless and the critters run and hide when they see me! LOL!! To each his own.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 02:01:00 AM »
Lol @ slowbowinmo, that's funny right there.     :biglaugh:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 10:17:00 AM »
Sharpening broadheads has been for me a very frustrating subject. I like to do thinks as easy as possible with the best results. I ve read all the sharpening threads. I started off with a 8" file, and it worked but I would take to much off. I ordered a KME from 3 rivers, tried it, sending it back today. For me, the angle on the KME was to high. I was using the wet/dry sandpaper method,it puts a nice polish on the edge but not sharp enough. I tried the lanskey sharpener and spent 40 minutes on one side and still couldn't get it to shave. I have done all this over the last couple of days. I realized that my sharpest results was from using a file. I went back to file and took it nice and slow and within 20 minutes I had an edge that would shave. For me the file is the easiest, fastest with the best results. And I am very sharpening challanged. Just thought I would share my experiences. Have a great day. Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
I'll second the Razor Edge Systems Guide.  It's all I use.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline stickflngr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 10:48:00 AM »
Tru-angle type sharpners work very well. I make my own by cutting an 11 degree angle on both sides of a piece of wood then attached a set of files to one block for the initial angle then leather to another block for the polishing and can make all my 2 blade heads "scary sharp" in no time at all... Kenny
SHOOT STRAIGHT AND TRACK HARD>>> Kenny

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch"
      " Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©