3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: So, we attempted to go crow hunting with our recurves  (Read 383 times)

Offline mgompf

• Trad Bowhunter
So, we attempted to go crow hunting with our recurves
« on: August 26, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »
We made a valiant attempt, but got skunked on our first attempt at hunting crows with our recurves. We heard plenty of crows all around us but we just couldn't convince them to come in. I think we underestimated just how hard it was actually going to be to call them into range. Even though we didn't harvest any crows a fun time was still had by all. We are already planning our next crow hunt; maybe the second time will be the charm.

Have any of you ever tried hunting crows with your bows? Got any tips or tricks?

Here are a few cool pics from the hunt and a short video.

When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and
with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20
feet closer to God.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: So, we attempted to go crow hunting with our recurves
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
Ive shot them out of a ground blind eating corn while deer hunting, but have never tried to shoot one flying with a bow.

Good luck to you, if you hit one be sure to let us know because thats a feat for sure!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
Great video! Well done.

My doctor says I need to cut down on my crow consumption anyway.  :D  

Thanks for sharing.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
I've never tried it with a bow, but some buddies and I use to do it when we were teenagers.  It is a lot of fun when you get them coming in.  The trick is to knock off the first one that comes in and the rest follow.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
One of my favorites things to do in winter. Your camo needs to be impeccable including a face mask or paint... just holding still in plaid won't cut it.  
 ;)
When they come in it will be just above the tree tops. Don't call from mature timber. Find a fence row with short trees in it.

An owl decoy and one or two crow decoys helps a lot. A piece of black cloth hung beneath the owl so it can flutter in the wind will make the crows crazy.

Don't shoot at the first bird that comes in. He will probably be a scout. If he sees you it will be over. Wait for the whole herd.
   :D

A crow call+ varmint call (raspy) blown at the same time will get them fired up as well.

Go on line and learn their basic calls.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
My buddy and I tried it one time. We got all set up, owl decoy, camo, around 50 arrows each, good cover, etc.

After an hour of wailing on the call we finally had success and called something in..............................it was a cow!

She came tromping in and just stood there, almost in our laps. We had a great laugh over it as we packed up and left, determined to get it right next time.

That was about 25 years ago and we never tried it again.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
I never tried with a bow,but I shotgun hunt them alot. I'd go with a feeding setup and forget the owl and distress calls. Set some decoys on the ground and maybe one or two in the trees.Don't use the loud distress or fighting calls either,just the feeding/gathering "Caw Caw Caw"  The birds will filter in a few at a time and give you shots at relaxed birds,much better bow shots. The owl/distress setups usually bring a huge mob in all at once and going crazy until one figures out the setup and it's over.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
Exactly what Charlie Lamb said......you have to be at the top of your game!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
I've tried pass shooting crows (no decoys, calls, or anything).  Took some shots, but never connected.  If you hear them going after an owl, you might be able to get some shooting.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
The crows we have here (Alberta)are all packed up and going South shortly!  So you will have more to practice on . Good Luck! Maxx
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
You picked a hard row to hoe! Good try! From experience, they can recognize you easily if you aren't well hidden. They also like to feed at pecan trees. Great story!  I think I need to get some flu flu's......
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
The best time to hunt them is now in the woods with leaf cover they will dive bomb in. you hunt them in the open they are too smart and stay really high. if they can see they wont come in very close. in the woods they have to come in to see and you can take advantage of that. also i ate crow one time, it tasted awful and my dad yelled at me and my brother for even trying to eat it. lol     :knothead:  great video, and good luck. one thing can make you feel better, they are easier to hit than doves. and they will sometimes land and hover above you offering a fairly easy shot.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
The only time crow hunting ever worked for us was when a friend put a big owl in his apple orchard that made whoo whoo sounds to try to keep out the black birds and robins.  Got two and missed a bunch, they could tell when we were going to shoot at them, but they would land in the trees when we would go out to pick up our three fluflus.  Crows taste odd.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
They can actually dodge an arrow. I first bowhunted them last year and missed a truckload of them. I'll try this winter again.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
I never have bow hunted them before but I have sat in the back of my truck under a tree and called and shot quite a few with a shotgun.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »
I live across the street from a College Baseball Diamond. If I could sneak a few shots in town at the Noisy Suckers, I  KNOW  I could snuff a Crow or Two!!  :readit:    :banghead:   So I dont push my Luck, as  BAD  as I want to!!  :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline agtex42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing the video, looks like yall have a great concept for your blog and I can't wait to see more!

Offline VaJD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
Find a thick place along a rarely driven road. a field on the other side. Go to McDonalds and buy some frenchfries toss some fries and the bag across from your hide, and get ready!  you might need to bait the spot if the crows in your area are not used to picking through trash. And of course pick up the bag before leaving.
JD

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »
I hav never tried crows but I have taken a pheasant out of the air and I am on a quest to take a dove out of the air. I started th dove thing last year and learned very fast how quick and smart they can be. I'll be out there again this season to try to bring one down.

Good luck on the crows!

Bisch

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
Ha I use to try that never got one may try again this winter. It's hard enough around here with a shotgun!
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©