3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ticks are bad this year!!!  (Read 364 times)

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
Ticks are bad this year!!!
« on: August 26, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »
The last two times I went to check my trailcam I ended up covered in seed ticks! HUNDREDS! This time I sprayed down with off and took the bottle with to wipe out the microscopic herd befor they could make it too far up my arms or legs.

I don't know if I can hunt this area because  they are so bad in there!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ticks are bad this year!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
I can only imagine what the deer look like.

Chiggers are terrible around here.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
I think I heard the ticks placing a "to go" order!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
NRA Life Member.

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
yep and it was so hot and dry this summer the catfish in our river have ticks !!!!!  :bigsmyl:
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
True story....a friend and I spent an hour and a half today looking for a trail camera he put out in July before I was lucky enough to find it.  He forgot where he put it because he discovered he was covered in ticks, so he just put the camera up and ran out of the woods......he is terrified of ticks.  Upside? There were 164 videos on it!!!  (Plus I get to hold it over his head for a long, long time!)

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
I lasted 10 min. the other day before heading back to truck. They where crawling over freshly sprayed OFF like it wasen't there. I hate ticks.

Permenon and pantyhose are a boys best friend.  :D  

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
i sprayed my leafy suit with permythrine (splg), and i was out for a good 8 hours today, covered maybe 5 miles up and down,...no ticks!

im a believer in that stuff now!

Offline GardenerHunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
There have been more cases of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever in Tn this year than ever before.If you have had a hidden one for more than 24 hours/if they are full of blood. You best get yourself some Doxycilin

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
Take this seriously guys.....I suffered ( and am still facing issues) with Lymne disease this summer..... never been so sick and feeling lousy in my 55 years.....this is a tip from your old Uncle Lar'.....spray ALL you can with permythrione....  :banghead:
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
Hey Jim. You gotta get the Permanon/permethrin products. Went out a month or so ago and got COmpLETELY eaten by chiggers/seed ticks or both and was hurting for weeks. Posted on here that night asking for help and many recommended the stuff. Picked some up at Bass Pro...just happened to be there but I hear Wal Mart carries it too. After coating my pants boots and socks, have gone out a few times a week since then without any problems. And--- I've whacked through some pretty heavy bush. Sprayed arms and neck with the deet spray as well. Trad Gang saves my skin!!
I was out for about 6 hours today and again, not one problem!!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
PERMETHRIN, buy some, and apply it to your clothes till they are damp!!   Tractor Supply Store, Agway, Horse supply Stores, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc..   The Tractor Supply store sells a un-cut jug of the stuff, read the recipe for .5% or so and  apply and let dry!  Gives 3 weeks of protection.
  Wearing wool clothing? Fine, apply it to your long johns that keeps'em off you.  Deet? ya, right, sure.

Offline dpg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
When do tick typically stop being a problem in the Midwest? They don't last into deer season do they?

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
They stop being a problem when the whole landscape burns to the ground! Only way I know of to be absolutely sure they are gonners.

Doesn't get cold enough, for long enough to kill them off in Oklahoma.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
NRA Life Member.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
After some good frosts I stop worrying about them til the next year.

Come on cold!  :pray:  

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Medley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
Any product that has Permethrin in it will actually keep all ticks, chiggers, and mosquitoes off. You guys have got to use this stuff, but follow the directions. I haven't had one of any of those since I started using it 5 years ago.

Cabelas has it labelled Sawyer's. Name doesn't matter as long as Permethrin is the active ingredient

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
i use the stuff. but i wonder if its hard on any clothing? like wool?
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by razorsharptokill:
They stop being a problem when the whole landscape burns to the ground! Only way I know of to be absolutely sure they are gonners. .
Not to sure if that will even do it Jim. I was out walking some of the scorched earth from the recent fires out by Mannford today....I'll bet those buggers cover it up as soon as the ashes cool!!!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
Guys, try Permanone. It kills ticks. OFF is just dipping sauce to ticks, but Permanone kills them and chiggers both. Spray your clothing with it but don't spray it directly on your skin as it may cause irritation.  Spray your pants both inside and out, and let it dry before wearing them.  This weekend, I used it on my pants but not my shirt. I got chiggers on my arms from handling brush and limbs but my lower body was just fine.I have not had it harm any of my clothes or boots. Don't forget to treat any backpacks, gear bags or haversacks you will be using.
Sam

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 03:16:00 AM »
I dont know if this is OK TradGang ettiquette but there appears to be a few suffering folks here so I will lend some help.

Dont bother with the crap from Cabelas or any other commercial retailer.  They are overpriced in the long run by a long shot.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/permethrin-sfr-368-quart-p-445.html    

I get this stuff from this site and use it on my house inside and out, my dogs kennel, ALL of my clothes.

This is the concentrated stuff that the Orkin man would use.  It is a quart bottle and you use it one shot glass per gallon of water.  It will last a long time.  Use a garden sprayer or a spray bottle.  Just follow the mixing instructions for 0.5% solution.

If you have never heard of it before, there are biting gnats down here during March and April.  Sometimes longer.  They are Satan's worst children.  They swarm and bite and itch and everything else that is bad.  I got ate up my first year here.  Since I started treating my clothes with this stuff I dont get bothered nearly as much.

Ever since I started using it for my dogs bedding she has been flea and tick free.  I give her Advantage Multi and a prescription strength tick collar but it was not enough so I started treating my house and her bedding with permethrin and fleas and ticks virtually disappeared.

I treat my yard where the dog plays with it too.

The only real problem I see with it is that it does smell.

Just dont use it on cats.  It will kill them.

I just recently found out that Permethrin is the active ingredient in Permanone.  I had not a clue what Permanone was until a few weeks ago when someone on here suggested using it for chiggers.  I said to use permethrin.  Who knew?
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
They're REALLY bad down here this year too. We had a particularly mild winter, which I guess is the reason.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©