3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Reading on stand?  (Read 534 times)

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Reading on stand?
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
I used to, when I had to 'do something' to enjoy myself.

I do so much with family, work, volunteer activities, etc. etc. etc. that when I get the opportunity to sit in a stand or blind, I just zone out/in to the woods around me and try to relax as much as I can.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
I never do,way to much other stuff going on to look at,other critters,birds,bugs,etc. I do read alot though,just never while hunting.

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
I have had deer show up 5 minutes after I am set up and give me the shot.

No reading for me always alert and looking for the twitch of the ear in the brush.  :nono:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
I read about a book per week. I've tried reading on the stand but I don't enjoy it. Deer hunting does require your undivided attention.
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
I use to study all the time when I hunted from a treestand, now I don't have to study anymore from books, but I like to study nature while I am part of it, and it does become pretty spiritual sometimes, but to answer your question, no, I don't read anymore while hunting, I'm afraid I'll miss something of natures show.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Spitfire Htr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Butch Speer:
Iowa, thanks for the tip on the bible. Mine is in the mail
Mine Too, thanks for the tip as well.
Groves Mag II 66# @ 28",          Groves Mag II 55# @ 28",           Groves Magnum 44# @ 28"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
No, I never read in the stand.
Sam

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
One of my faves was the Reader's Digest (Geezer Print edition).  I will admit it increased the time I spent on stand, which probably got me a few extra opportunities. The down side was that it also cost me a few that got in the magic zone unnoticed and before I was ready, i.e. standing, bow in hand, etc.  Don't read on stand as much as I used to from a combination of old eyes and old butt!  I need reading glasses now and don't trust the glint of sunlight off of them.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
I just thought of a great idea for guys that hunt and read to be able to put the book away fast. if you wear wool or something that loves velcro, put velcro on the back of the book and just stick it to your leg, of course don't do this to your mark twain first additions. lol thought it might help.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 03:28:00 AM »
Yeah, I used to read actual books on stand.  Then they made me sleepy.  Then I took a nap.

I would wake up and it would be dark.  

Ahhhh, a good day hunting.   :)

Repeat as needed.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »
I like to read during the slow times too.  I read a page, look around, read a page...  I wear a muff around my waist and only take paperbacks that will fit inside, makes it easy to stash if something shows up.

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »
I usually take a paperback and read once in a while, especially in early Fall wehn there is not a lot of activity---I almost never read once I am on a hot scrape---just too excited and hoping to see "Mr. BigBoy" headed my way.

Joe

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
I tend to read the inside of my eyelids when in the woods! It is so relaxing that I drift off to sleep fairly easy. Sometimes even when it is cold. Lots of wool can keep you warm!

When I am awake, I bet reading a book would help me hold still better.

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
I need reading glasses to read, I cannot shoot with my reading glasses or these miserable progressive lenses.  Back in the 70s, when we hunted out of large permanent stands, my buddy got up his and found a Penthouse on it. He read every word in that magazine or so he said.  Then, since he did not want to get caught with it and did not want to take it home, he took to it a sandbar on the river and started it on fire and reduced it to ashes. Later, I asked him if he had any deer come by him, he said he was not sure if one came by or not, but he may have heard one walk by.

Offline NC BowBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Spitfire Htr:

Originally posted by Butch Speer:
Iowa, thanks for the tip on the bible. Mine is in the mail
Mine Too, thanks for the tip as well. [/b]
Again, Thanks. Mine's on the way as well.
Christian Bow Hunters of America

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »
No problem guys. Saw it on a commercial while watching Hallowed Ground Outdoors. its a good show, compounds only so far though. I will try it this year, if I end up not enjoying reading, I will still keep it in my pack. I seem to get to the timber way too early, and could read a little bit of the good book before heading out to stand. Might help me relax and put me in the right state of mind.
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
If I take a book with me i stay in the stand longer knowing that if i get bored I can read. I used to get out of the stand at 10:00 or 10:30am but now sit until around noon. I never touch the book until after 10:30am and half the time don't even open the book until it is noon.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline trapperzeke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
I tried it a few times and found I couldn't remember what I had just read after looking up, so I'd re-read the same page ten times.  90% of the time I don't get bored enough to bother, 5% of the time I nap, and the other 5% I may play a few hands on a hand held video poker game.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
I'm an avid reader and always have a book in my pack for those all day treks. With that said, I find it differcult to read during prime hunting time when hunting with my bow. When rifle hunting in Texas, it was easy to read while hunting, cause you often found yourself hunting over corn from a box blind which hid your movement(page turning). I don't read as much while in the woods with my bow, but I do read some when not on full alert.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©