3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First trad whitetail buck...How'd it feel ???  (Read 688 times)

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
First trad whitetail buck...How'd it feel ???
« on: August 27, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
Please try to describe the circumstances and feelings involved with taking your first whitetail buck with traditional gear.

Thanks, Skychief.

Offline fredbear1969

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First trad whitetail buck...How'd it feel ???
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
the first season i hunted exclusively with a stickbow i hunted my but off for my entire 2 week vacation and on the last day a little 3 pointer came by chasing a doe and put the whack on him at about 18 yds i missed 4 or 5 deer that year but when it came all together it erased all that

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
I'll tell you in a couple months.....
   :dunno:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
I had two mature bucks coming my way across a field. Heart pounding as they got close. The big 8 turned away, out of range. The slightly smaller 9pt kept inching closer. I made a practice draw to stretch my arm/shoulder. He came closer, At 18 yards, I drew again, picked my spot and released. Right through his guts. UUGH. Felt like my heart stopped. The buck didn't know what hit him, he ran about 20 yards, from my left to my right. Stopped at 15 yards, I already had another arrow going on the string. He stood broadside, while I drew again. Sent the second arrow straight through both shoulders, he ran off 70 yards or so and crashed. Adrenaline rush hit me and I had to sit down, so I wouldn't fall out of my stand. It was awesome.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
It was like killing my very first buck all over again. Heck, I even got a little emotional............even with me being as tough as I am and all.   :rolleyes:    "[dntthnk]"    

Took me 3 years after going all trad to kill my first deer with trad. I killed a young doe first with trad and then a week later I killed my first trad buck. This took place back in the late '90s.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
Awesome!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
Like someone poured a bucket of ice in my pants!!  :jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
I can not wait tell this happens to me. I went scouting this afternoon looks good.

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
Like someone else said, it was like shooting my first all over again.
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
You know that other "first time" we all remember? Not anywhere near that good!!!

:D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
wasn't all that awesome for me - the deer might as well have been struck by lightning for all I deserved - we did NOT know how to shoot - we shot a paper lifesize deer target on 3 hay bales and if it hit the neck we thought the deer were in trouble. My heart was pounding so bad I couldnt even hear - no kidding - total luck accident - and it took me about 4 deer kills before I could stay in the moment and pay attention. Mid 70s - 60# browning recurve 2219 and a snuffer. Still dont know if I hit anchor   :)
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
like it was yesterday, two little yearlings came in, i missed the first shot and it took 2 steps. The next shot drilled her, she was down in 50.

I was a wreck!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
It was last season for me. I was in a 8'high treestand,and was there for about 30 minutes.
Late October. I was still getting my stuff in order a little bit,heard a snap to my right,and I turned my head. There he was,a 4 point. I readied myself,the buck walked into a little clearing 17yards or so from me,and sniffed around a bit. He stopped in just the right place,I drew my Centaur,and said to myself...Just shoot at the crease behind his shoulder. I loosed the arrow and he moved forward a bit at the same time. Hit him in the liver area. He took off,FAST! and on a dead run.
I waited,shaking,and loving the adrenal,ancient,primortal,feeling coarsing through me. Thanked God. I got down about 10 minutes later,found a bloody arrow. Waited with my buddy Gary for a hour or so. Tracking was tough,NO BLOOD!! followed hoof tracks,and rustled leaves through the woods. After 100 yards,it got very tough. Went very slow. Looked way up through the woods..THERE HE WAS!! still moving. "We just pushed that deer" Gary said. It was late dusk. I HATED TO LEAVE THAT DEER. First light,went to where we had spotted him last. About 30 yards away from there,he lay! Was very grateful for being able to take this wonderful animal. rat'

Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
You know that other "first time" we all remember? Not anywhere near that good!!!

:laughing:  but not a bad second!    :archer2:
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Online modr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
It was 1992, had eight does pass in front of the stand at about 10 yards, the trailing buck (5pt)decided to pass behind the tree at about 10 yards, twisted around the tree and made a good shoot, the deer went about 80 yards and was down. I can still see myself jumping up and down
and hollering, what a rush. Still get that  feeling today, after taking a deer.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
My first deer kill ever was a bow kill when I was a much younger lad in the early 70's and was a whole lot more luck than skill. I had already shot at a couple of deer and sailed the arrows right over their backs. Then a 10 pointer ambled in front of my arrow, and lo and behold, he went down. I did it all wrong, just set my dove stool against a tree and waited. I had no camo, no scent agents, and essentially no knowledge of whitetail deer.  Fortunately, I was in a good spot. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.
Sam

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
Hunting with my buddy in 1990. We were hunting a small funnel piece in treestands only about 80 yards apart.3 does came up the trail behind me and split off onto the trail to my buddy's stand.I was watching him and saw him stand up and shoot.The three does came crashing by about 30 yards ahead of me and I saw 1 drop.Right then I heard something behind me,turned and saw a little 8 point,standing looking at where the does went.He started off the trail and came about 10 yards to the side of me and I hit him right behind the shoulder.My buddy saw me shoot and my deer dropped about 40 feet from his stand.We were whooping it up pretty good back and forth from the stands. That was a really cool day and we still talk about that hunt all the time,those deer were both our firsts.

Offline wissler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
Amazing!!
It took me 7 years to tag my 1st buck. 2003 (1st deer with "any" equipment)
It's the buck on my profile picture.
I told Dad I wanted my 1st deer to be a nice 8 pointer. He kept telling me just to get a deer under my belt, but I'm a stubborn German, just like him.
Messed up a bunch of times over those 7 years, I tell ya!!

The best thing was calling him on the motorolla 2-way, and telling him "I JUST SMOKED A 8 POINTER!!"
I shot him with my 1st "custom" Timberhawk and a Jim Curlee arrow.

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
It was the first deer I ever killed with a trad bow.  I scouted the are and hadd the deer pegged.  There was a deep gorge like creek bottom that the deer were skirting around on their way to bed for the day.  I hung a stand and the next morning he cam around the trail about 8 am.  I heard him coming and squatted dwn and saw his legs under a cedar limb.

I waited until he was right below me and drew and fired as he was stll walking.  Took him thru the top of the onside shoulder and ut the bottom of the offside.  He ran 60 yards.  It was pretty awesome  It happened so quick.

A person who hunts with a trad bow is so deadly.  I really feel it is the easiest and best way to hunt.  You look at it, you hit it.  No aiming for seconds getting everthiing lined up, stopping them, getting everything right.  You draw and shoot before a compound guy can even get his bow drawn.

It is pure, simple, and so deadly if you just do it. This alone has made every animal harvested a true blessing and one that is appreciated more than words can describe. Good luck and God Bless to all.
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:

Hahaha, oh brother! Are you sure you can remember that long ago Charlie?
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©