3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Hill bows Vs. Northern Mist  (Read 385 times)

Offline HumbleHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
New Hill bows Vs. Northern Mist
« on: August 27, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
Just curious if anybody has had both maker's bows and how they compared to each other.

As much good as I read about the HH bows (Especially on HH Bug page) I was kinda surprised how reasonable the prices are on their website.

I have zero experience with this type of bow but plan to in the very near future    :archer:

I'm especially interested in experiences with bow weights around 50lbs in both bows but welcome all input!

Thanks, HH

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Hill bows Vs. Northern Mist
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
You can add Nate Steen, Dave Miller, and Dave Johnson to the big five there. ALL great bowyers!
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
I shot Steve's(Northern Mist) Swinehart Special that he built for Chuck Deshler(TwoTracks) and it was amazing. That and Chuck's own Hill style bow were a real pleasure to shoot and I've never had much success or enjoyment shooting Hill bows before.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
I have one Northern Mist and several Hills , as well as similiar style bows from various makers .

Craig at Howard Hill'scustomer service and quick turn around build time is hard to beat . Steve Turay's bows are beautiful but being kinda impatient I tend to balk at 9 month waiting lists ... but you can't go wrong with either bowyer
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline HumbleHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
thanks everybody, I really appreciate it!
HH

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
Have had both ....still have both, can't go wrong with either. It would be wise to shoot that style of bow before you spend a bunch of money....just say'n!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
Same as Ron W.  have both, like both, and miller, and two tracks(shot it) and Johnson

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
Two of the best, kinda like comparing apples to oranges, cant go wrong with either.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
I have never owned a Northern Mist but have shot them a few times. I have several Hills. They are both very good bows - flip a coin!
Sam

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
Another good priced longbow is here

http://www.bamabows.com/hunter.html
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline HumbleHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
great, thanks for the input yall!
HH

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
I own both and give a slight edge to the NM bows in most regards, but like Ben Maher said, hard to beat a 3 week turn around on orders.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
Steve Turay is tough to beat!!!    Bill

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
Why pick? Order the one today and the other tomorrow.

You can enjoy the HH for a year before the NM arrives, and then one can back up the other!
Thom

Offline ScouterMike

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Outdoors Den
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
The basic HH bow is comparable to the NM Classic (slight backset straight limb bow) and I believe HH will make a string follow which is close to the NM Shelton. Past that NM offers several other types of r/d longbows and a reverse handle (HH may make one also). Bow make great bows, depends on the style you want. I have a couple from both and will say that Steve Turay's bows are the most consistent shooters of any bow I have owned, they just hit hit where you are looking with quiet authority.
Rom 1:20

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 12:43:00 AM »
I have both at 50 lbs. They both have about the same cast and speed. Workmanship is similar. The N.M. is just a tad smoother. The N.M has smaller,deeper limbs which probably makes it a tad smoother. My Hill seems more stable but it is a string follow and the N.M. is almost straight. N.M. makes a string follow bow that gets rave reviews.I would order either one and know that I would have a finely crafted Hill type bow. As of now I should be getting a Hill delivered this week.   :)
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 02:35:00 AM »
Ive owned a NM Shelton (string follow) for a month now and am suitably impressed.  Compared to a HH Tembo (which also was a string follow design) I give the edge to the NM in my opinion.  I really think that is just because I favor Michigan bowyers.  Old habits die hard.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »
I just have to say I am not sure I understand why when a person asks a specific question on the forums these days people have to hijack the thread with information that was not requested.

The question was for users that own both a Hill bow and a NM Bow, how do they compare. I own both and have shot several different bows from each bowyer. Neither are bad bows and I would not hesitate to buy either one. My PREFERENCE is towards the Northern Mist. I shoot my NM Classic better than any bow I own, or have owned and I know the bow far exceeds my capabilities for accuracy. The craftsmanship is top notch and my own personal experience is that you would have a hard time finding better customer service than what Steve Turay provides. Now in all fairness I have not worked with or spoken with Craig Ekin directly but based on the feedback of others, some good friends, I would not hesitate to contact him if I needed assistance. I have heard from several close friends that Craig's customer service is top shelf as well.

Bottom line for me, if I decided I wanted a new bow tomorrow the first person I would call would be Steve Turay. In fact I ordered a second bow within 30 days of delivery on the first bow I got from Northern Mist. I am sure it won't be the last one.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
BHGA, I "hijacked" the thread because I assumed that there was a possibility that, from his posts:
1)HH was a newer hill guy
2)He is looking at purchasing a hill style bow
3) he is interested in different makes
4) he may not know what options are out there

So I tried to help. I'm not sure why that offended you.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by HumbleHunter:
 Just curious if anybody has had both maker's bows and how they compared to each other.

As much good as I read about the HH bows (Especially on HH Bug page) I was kinda surprised how reasonable the prices are on their website.

I have zero experience with this type of bow but plan to in the very near future      :archer:  

I'm especially interested in experiences with bow weights around 50lbs in both bows but welcome all input!

Thanks, HH
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©