3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bad Shooting Session!!!  (Read 337 times)

Offline roundbal

• Trad Bowhunter
Bad Shooting Session!!!
« on: August 27, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Finally got a chance to do some shooting today.  Last time was past Friday and I shot great.  Not today!  I just flat shot awful.  Never could get into a rythem, timing and form just felt off. I should have stopped when I knew it just wasn't going to happen today but I just kept going and going getting more mad/upset as I went which in turn made my shooting worse yet. Hope this ain't a start of things to come.  You guys ever just have a REAL bad day shooting?
Kota Prairie Fire 55@28 60"
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 56@28 58"
Treadway Black Swamp 52@28 58"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bad Shooting Session!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
Yep!   :dunno:   It happens now and then!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
I think its because of your avatar.....

(im a DIEHARD Cowboys fan lol)

Just kidding though, everybody has those days! keep slingin brother!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
More than my share, but ive learned to just put my gear away until a later time or the next day.
Ive found that being one of little patience, that getting frustrated just adds the problem, im better than i used be,but ive sent more than one fine bow across the barn lot.   :banghead:

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
ever heard the saying, "if you leave archery for a day, it leaves you for a week". There's definitely some truth in that ole saying.
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
Archery is such a mental thing... so much going on on a subconscious level. If you're not focused it'll show... even if you think you're focused you just might not be. Back things up and hit the basics... blank bale work or drawing to anchor and letting down... form work. The brain is such a fickle creature... at least mines is.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
Yes, had one today.  Aggravating, decided to unstring the bow and try again tomorrow.
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline roundbal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
I have only been shooting for about 6 weeks or so since I give up my training wheels and only get to shoot 3-5 days a week.  I have been putting 5 arrows in the ground one at a time spaced between 15 and 25 yards and shooting from 15 out to 25 and then 25 back down to 15 and have been doing so good (for my rookie level). I am glad I built a back stop! Never needed it until today!
Kota Prairie Fire 55@28 60"
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 56@28 58"
Treadway Black Swamp 52@28 58"

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
I had the worst shooting day of my life at the Muzzy shoot a couple of weeks ago, couldn't hit the barn from the inside, but I didn't let it bother me too much and the next day I shot pretty good.

Don't let it get you down, you'll come back just keep working at it.

Good luck.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
YEP more than I care to remember
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
Everybody has those days. I think that even shooting just 3 times a week is plenty of practice even for a beginner. I sometimes only manage to shoot 2 days a week because of weather. Once you get your form down and your mind trained on the fine art of instinctive shooting you will find the off days come alot less often. You will also be able to take more days off from your shooting if you have to due to a vacation or weather and come back to hitting bulls eyes much quicker.
James Kerr

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
Remember some days are diamonds and some days are stones. And some days are plain damn rocks! Sounds like you had a rocky day. Cheer up, the diamond will return.
Sam

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
OFTEN!!!!!!
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
That is why I gave up my training wheels a number of years ago and came back to traditional archery.  I love the challenge of it!  And as you say, you have to take the good days with the bad, but don't give up.  Few things in this sport are as rewarding as those days when it all comes together!

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
I've found if I shoot 1 arrow every 10-15 minutes I keep my form better! but its hard sometimes to just shoot one at a time!
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
most days. lol  25 yards is a long way for someone thats been shooting for only 6 weeks IMO. I cant shoot a trad bow accurately that far and Ive tried to shoot trad for 20 years. Try staying at 15 and under for a couple weeks then ease back a little at a time
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline sore fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 12:27:00 AM »
I used to have them a lot and i always thought i could just shoot through it. Bad idea. Now if it isnt feeling right after a few crappy ones i rest a while and then try later. Thankfully it doesnt happen very often anymore.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 12:54:00 AM »
I have had those days. Not very often anymore.I used to get mad and like you say it just makes it worse. After a person gets their form down to where it comes natural all that is left is the mental part of it and that plays a big role in shooting good. If my shooting is off I set down in my swing and reflect on my form and clear my head. Then I shoot again. It works most of the time to get me shooting right. If I have to I will get close to the target and get my confidence back.I love it when I am in perfect harmony with my bow. Then its like magic.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 01:12:00 AM »
I had one of those days yesterday.  My elk/deer season opened Sat and I hadn't shot since last Wed so when I came home between the AM and PM hunting I decided to throw some arrows down range.  I was shooting miserably and that evening I had a chip shot at a doe standing perfect broadside 18yds but at a 15 degree uphill angle.  I had let that shooting session play mind games with me to the point I did just about everything wrong I could and shot 6" under her chest.  I did some more shooting today and started out having problems but then all of a sudden I hit the groove and was shooting pretty decent again.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline JJB2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
If I do, I go inside and draw and anchor in the mirror.  Really take my time and focus on my form, anchor, back tension, etc. and then go back out to the range and start close to the target just focusing on my form.  That usually does the trick.  But if I'm just too tired to maintain good form I hang it up for tomorrow.  Nothing creates bad habits faster than shooting when you're p#ssed off or frustrated.
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©