3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Glove or Tab  (Read 384 times)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glove or Tab
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
I changed to a tab in the 1980's. It just seems to be much more convenient. This is especially true in cold weather as I can wear a fleece glove for warmth (that is all that is usually needed in the middle GA winter)under my tab with no problem.
Sam

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
I've tried both and so far my personal favorite is the big shot glove.
James Kerr

Offline Wulomac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 07:39:00 AM »
Great input!  Thanks!
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.  GEN-21:20

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
I used a tab back in my c-bow days, but when I tried it with my recurve, it would fly off every shot. So, I switched to a Damascus glove. I don't worry about dropping it, it fits fine and works great. In the cold, I use wool gloves with three fingers cut off and put it on over my shooting glove.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2012, 03:52:00 PM »
I've shot a glove for nearly 50 years.  During that time, I could never find a tab that felt comfortable.  Finally did, a Black Widow calf hair split finger.  I like shooting with it in nice weather on the range.  Don't think I'm any more accurate with it than a glove, but I do seem to be able to get my fingers a little closer to the side of my face with it, feel my anchor a little better with the tips of my fingers, etc.  

For hunting, though, I'll use a glove.  It always takes me a little time, maybe only a second or two, to properly place the tab on the string around the nock. It has three layers of material and small flaps that protect the two fingers that touch the arrow. I often have to look at what I'm doing.  With a glove, there are no "moving parts."  I can look at the target and and position my fingers for the shot by feel.  As G. Fred has written, "Things have a way of happening very quickly in the woods."  A second or two can make the difference between getting a shot and not.  

In cold weather, I wear a wool glove with the fingers cut off to fit over my leather shooting glove so only the stalls protrude.  Keep my hands in a muff until I'm ready to shoot.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 12:52:00 AM »
Started out with a glove 48 years ago. Switched to a tab and have been shooting a tab for the last 47 1/2 years.

The tab gives me a cleaner release.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 05:14:00 AM »
im not a fan of feeling the string so i use a thick black widow tab i dont like feeling the string, its heavy and thin and hurts haha
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©