3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: North Carolina Deer Season Prep and Highlights 2012  (Read 4200 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
North Carolina Deer Season Prep and Highlights 2012
« on: August 27, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
With the low of 59 a few nights ago in Asheboro I truly felt the onset of the upcoming deer season. Not many days have gone by since the 2011 close that I have not shot my bows and thought ahead to the Sept 8 opening day.

Good luck to all you Tarheels out there. The Old North State's deer season looks promising. I hope your opening day is filled with twitching whitetails and a short blood trail.

Let's hear your prep stories, scouting reports, and eventually, your tales of success.

Keep your broadheads sharp.

Cheers to all.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: North Carolina Deer Season Prep and Highlights 2012
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 06:30:00 AM »
I'll be hunting in Randolph Co on a 21 acre tract that I hunted last year and on my family's 12 acres. I scouted a tad in Uwharrie a few days ago, but I have never been able to find a definite pattern to the Uwharrie deer.

I have my fingers crossed about an opportunity in Guilford Co. Turns out a retired co-worker lives next to a farm where I primed tobacco back in the early 80s. This farm now sits abandoned with the passing of the landowner and his only direct heir is his daughter who lives in the Concord area. My friend has carte blanche access and has told me to come on over.

I used to hunt land in Laurel Springs NC and land near Jefferson, NC. I'd love to read some reports from you mountain guys and gals and see some pics. Too bad that land is now inaccessible to me.

Come on 9/8/2012.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 06:34:00 AM »
I hunt near Kings Mountain on a 120 acre parcel the brother-in-law and I have leased for the past few years.  There is not a lot of deer, but enough to keep us content.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 06:41:00 AM »
Good luck this year Rick. I used to travel through that area heading to Chimney Rock with my family. Always liked the scenery as we headed west of Charlotte.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 07:32:00 AM »
I'm looking at houses down there so I'll keep an eye on this thread.  Good luck guys!!  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 08:36:00 AM »
Rockingham Co has one of the highest deer and turkey harvest reports.

Close to Va too.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
Checked my stand area in Rockingham Co yesterday. I had a turkey invasion. Turkey poop everywhere and a tail feather left behind.

Spring turkey thoughts already?? :)

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
I will be huntign at the beach and possibly around RDU with my son. Just hope it cools off and the bugs don't carry me away.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
OBX,

I'll be at Sunset Beach the 15th thru the 18th. Any opportunities nearby in the way of game lands?

Offline agtex42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
Good luck this season yall, unless things drastically change I won't be in the woods this fall.  Can't wait to read the stories and see some pictures!

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
OBX,  Just back from a week on Hatteras...love it down there! I have always wanted to look into deer hunting on OBX. Can you provide any direction for your area?  I know there are deer in the Buxton area and all along 12 but not sure about regs etc.  Any direction, specific or otherwise, appreciated.

Brent
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline hunt4life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
First year here in NC. I'll be hunting camp lejeune and the air station. Hopefully I can tag something, it's been awhile.

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
I'll be hunting some game lands on the north side of Lake James and in the mountains around Linville Gorge:::Our season starts Sep.10:::GOOD LUCK TO ALL   :archer2:

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »
Woke up at 2 am couldn't get back to sleep. 5 am put on full camo with face net walked up the hill and got into one of my stands.I did get a little sleep in the stand and that's probably why I didn't see anything but a few squirrels. Thought I'd sit some stands this week and do some aerial scouting.
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline agtex42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by hunt4life:
First year here in NC. I'll be hunting camp lejeune and the air station. Hopefully I can tag something, it's been awhile.
Good luck on Lejeune, I just sent you a rather long PM with some tips cause the deer on Base can be rather frustrating at times!

Offline NC BowBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
Teenage daughter & I will be hunting private land in Forsyth & Davie counties, Gamelands in Davie.
All our gear has been layed out for 2 weeks
Christian Bow Hunters of America

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
There is the green swamp you can hunt near Sunset beach. There is also hogs down there so see if you can get a walk in the woods or two!

Hate to say it but my hopes are not that set on this yr - beginning of deer season is going to find me floating off Cape Lookout! Deer options here are the Croatan and you might as well go fishing! LOL so fly rod and false albies mixed with jetty specks over the stick and string.

Have been scouting alot and just not too good out there in the big woods. Will wait for it to cool down and the dog hunters to get in there and stir them up before I start bow hunting.

Wish everyone luck and will be following the thread! PICS!!

Chief
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline amazonjim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
I hunted the lasr several years north of RDU

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
Hey Bud,I hope to get down there sometime this year.Loved hunting with you last year.
see

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Open door invitation Dwight. As far a I can tell the big'un is still crossing that tract we hunted. I'm off from the 8th until the 22nd.

If you're heading back in Nov shoot me a pm and I'll give you my work schedule.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©