3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: North Carolina Deer Season Prep and Highlights 2012  (Read 4300 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: North Carolina Deer Season Prep and Highlights 2012
« Reply #140 on: September 26, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
Way to go Dalton!

Lookin' forward to the pics  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2012, 11:42:00 PM »
Sat in the stand this evening but nothing. The near full moon began to rise well before sunset. It was bright coming out. Barely a need for the headlamp.

Just before climbing down I heard a deer snort off in the distance. Not sure what it was wheezing about, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't me.

Going to hit it again tomorrow evening, but not sure how it'll be with the moon the way it is.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: September 28, 2012, 06:15:00 AM »
today should be better.

J-Dog, yes lukens island. I think you told me the story once.

Me and a buddy are headed down for the afternoon set.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: September 28, 2012, 06:17:00 AM »
oh by the way, My longtime hunting buddy and friend Jet Mathews shot a nice bull moose up in Maine this past week. #979  gutted 52" spread. Hoots recurve. He called me 45 min after the shot. to say he was excited would be an understatement.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: September 29, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
Went out this morning and had a couple of youngsters, 4 pointers visit me within about ten yards.  Hope
Nobody shoots them...should be shooters in a couple of years.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: September 30, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
Stalked my stand tonight to get it out for my work week. I don't want it stolen...   :mad:  

But, walking ever so slowly I walked up on two doe who appeared from behind some bull brairs. We saw each other at about the same time. They bounded off but did not blow in their retreat.

Maybe next time.   :banghead:

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: October 01, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
Finally got some ripe persimmons falling in one of my spots...Hope to hunt it later this week....
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: October 01, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
I had 5 bucks and 2 does come in last night. I shot the biggest doe, shot looked perfect right behind the shoulder. 15 yards treeshark, she ran off like I had smoked her. A friend was with me hunting about 100yards away, she ran past him he heard a gurgling sound.
I found no blood and where she ran to was a huge cut over couldn't find her. That sucks. LCH

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »
Gotta hate that Lee. All this rain we've been getting is making it hard to find a good time to hunt. I'm getting ready for work and awoke to the sound of thunder.

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
Yeah Bud the ground was nothing but wet black dirt with a few leaves mashed into it. If there was blood it didn't show. Todd was sitting in the stand she ran by.LCH

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
Good luck when you get back into the woods.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: October 06, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
Saw my first red fox in years this morning while on stand. So did the nearby crows. They were circling above him and he was twisting his head to watch them circle. He sniffed the air and went on.

No deer seen.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2012, 06:38:00 AM »
Shot at a doe yesterday and everything was looking perfect until tire lower limb on bow hit the cable on my tree stand causing the arrow to dive right under her. Now I am 0 and 3.  I am finding out that this Trad stuff is a lot harder than you may think...different things to consider than using a "wheelie"

Online adkarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2012, 07:42:00 AM »
I have not seen a deer since opening weekend.  There were 2 weekends I was not able to hunt because of work (and I only have Sat. - gotta love the No Sunday hunting thing), so it has been a slow.  I did see my first NC turkey yesterday, got all excited and then remembered no fall season here.  Oh well, good to see one.

Adkarcher
New York Bowhunters - Life Member
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Assoc.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: October 07, 2012, 07:44:00 AM »
My opening day was yesterday. Been so busy with work or my kids school and sports functions that I haven't been able to get out....till yesterday morning. I had a doe moving in to my shooting lanes but she was very skittish, but still coming. I thought this is it and I had my fingers looked and ready to draw with just a few more steps when a huge limb falls out of a nearby tree and sends her the other way, hunt over! It was a very good hunt anyway, some much needed time in the stand to relax. I hope to get back out there again this week, maybe I'll get another shot at that ole nanny.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: October 07, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by adkarcher:
I have not seen a deer since opening weekend.  There were 2 weekends I was not able to hunt because of work (and I only have Sat. - gotta love the No Sunday hunting thing), so it has been a slow.  I did see my first NC turkey yesterday, got all excited and then remembered no fall season here.  Oh well, good to see one.

Adkarcher
As long as you're not hunting public land you can hunt on Sundays with bow on privately owned land, unless the landowner deems otherwise.

I'll be heading out this evening to take advantage of the arrival of this cold front.

Online adkarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: October 07, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
I have not been able to get hooked up with private land yet, so the no Sunday hunting thing is a major barrier, really stinks for the working man.

Is that the same for turkeys in the spring?  Can you bowhunt turkeys on Sunday on private land?

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: October 07, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
Adkarcher,
I understand where you are coming from, I need a place to hunt on Sundays too. This afternoon would have been perfect in our part of the state, and I have the day off too. I am a transplanted northerner like you and I love NC. This state is beautiful and the people are so nice. I have to figure out a way to meet some land owners so I can set up a Sunday spot.

The turkey bowhunt question is a good one, but I don't know the answer to it. I'll be looking that one up.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online adkarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: October 07, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
I would imagine the private land will eventually work itself out, at least I hope.  Just some seems like a waste this year - nice cool temps today to hunt and I sit home while I had to hunt in hot weather yesterday.  Still working on some people at work for private land, just seems like a foolish law.  I can do everything else on Sunday but hunt.  Oh well, I will enjoy the times I get out and wish I was in NY on Sundays...

Offline longrifle346

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: October 07, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
Yes sir, you can certainly bow hunt turkey on private lands on Sunday. From what I read the only restriction on Sunday hunting is migratory game birds. Page 42 I think....
If you find yourself in a fair fight? Your tactics suck!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©