3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: North Carolina Deer Season Prep and Highlights 2012  (Read 4213 times)

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: North Carolina Deer Season Prep and Highlights 2012
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »
Went to check out one of 'my' spots on the gamelands and was greeted by a fellow loading empty bags of corn in his trunk (that's a no no on the gamelands).  In fact, it was the same guy I turned-in last year for the same thing.  I actually walked the game warden to the spot he was dumping and where he had his trail cam set last year.  He must have just been too hard to catch ....    :knothead:  

In any case, good luck to everyone.

Offline longrifle346

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 07:15:00 AM »
I'll be hunting the swamps, planted pines, and bean field edges of Pamlico and Craven this year. Perfect conditions are forecasted for traditional morning and evening feeds. My gear is in order, broadheads shaving sharp, and my opening morning natural groundblind is groomed. It's a purty spot, about 40 yards off the edge of the swamp, and in the transition between oaks and bedding. Got my goal set to take a deer with each of my 3 traditional bows this year...

Good luck to all the other Tarheelers, didn't know there were so many here!
If you find yourself in a fair fight? Your tactics suck!

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »
I will be hunting public land and private land piedmont section of the state. Chatham county has been good to us with a huge population of deer for us to work on. Persimmons look like they are gonna go early this year - acorns look good so far. We have been only using days off no vacation time last  few years and still are tagged out and burnt out by Thanksgiving - hope this year is the same or better.
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
Been ready for a while, then I hurt my back. I hope it is healed by mid September so I don't miss too much of the season. It looks good out in the woods this year.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
Ive not seen alot of acorns where Ive been looking. A few water oaks around some field edges are full but not much else. I got a feeling that this year is gonna be better than last about shooting deer though.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
I've been seeing alot of acorns fall that are underdeveloped and mostly caps. No mast.

Hopefully it's just scattered and not widespread. The drought and heat took its toll, I believe.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
Anyone heard from Broketooth? or Bernie? Been awhile -
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »
Bud, I'm here in the mountains. Also i have a bunch of private land,   that is fully accessible to me, over 20 spots. LOTS of acorns, apples are spotty.

Im having trouble seeing "good" deer this year for some reason but i have tons of deer.

The foothills are getting riddled with disease I'm hoping thats stays down there needless to say.

If you would like to, we may can work out a hunt or 2 up here, I'm a college kid so i can hunt all the time. Depending on the dates we can work something out.  And i have plenty to hunt.

Good luck to all! shoot straight men!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline agtex42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by Don Batten:
I got a feeling that this year is gonna be better than last about shooting deer though.
I'm with you Don!  With all the fires we had last summer and the amount of rain that's fallen since then the browse should be phenomenal.  I saw a ton of deer before I left and I can only imagine that this will be a very productive season for all the coastal hunters.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 08:43:00 AM »
The place I used to hunt in Ashe was called Carson Woods. There was a HUGE Osage tree near the old homeplace just off the dirt road.

That's been a looong time ago.

Thanks Dalton. Same invite here. I have the one 21 acre plot I can hunt and I'm off Sept 8 thru the 22nd.

Glad to see good reports across the state. Not sure why the acorn crop, so far, around here looks iffy. Hopefully the good acorns are way up top and I can't se them on the tree.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2012, 10:24:00 AM »
Ive got my main stand set and ready to go here in Troy ! Bud B. you ought to come down  and help me scout out  some (archery only) game land thats here in Troy , no one hunts it and its loaded with deer or so Im told . I need a good hunting partner on game land so I wont get turned around after dark on a blood trail .

Mike Britt
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
PMing you my cell # Britt!!

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
Bud,
Thanks for posting this thread. It will be fun to keep up with everyone's season around NC. I have 2 trees rands and a ground blind set up and I am confident that I will see a lot of deer if my schedule allows me to get out like I want to.
Let's all keep in touch here. And I wish all my NC trad friends a safe and fun season.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2012, 04:03:00 PM »
No problem!

Ive been there, i have a couple of spots within 5 miles of there lol!

Gotta love good ol' Ashe.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Online Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
goose season opens in the morning. been a hundred in one of our pastures every morning this week. got the double bull and a few decoys in the truck . gonna try and shoot one or two early tomorrow. dove is the main thing saturday. I won't be bowhunting them.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
I hear that Don! Got the waders in the truck! But i won't mention the weapon under them! lol
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline postman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
Hunting behind the house and my sisters farm. Used to hunt Camp Lejeune but they have built houses and daycares and a  new highway where I used to hang my stands, makes me sick every time I go by there. Do a little hunting in Butner in Oct, and then  West Va. and Ohio bound for two weeks. Got the longbow drilling with the VPA's out to 35 yds. Can't wait.

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Did a little recon work a couple of weeks ago on my hunting property(Franklin County) and saw 5 shooter bucks in one group. Usually I don't see all shooter size in one group. I think this is going to be a good year for nice bucks. We've been passing a lot of bucks over the last few years and I'm hoping this year we see some higher quality bucks.

Went out today and did a little scouting. Still finding a few, very few, acorns. Some of them very good size and the sign I'm finding tells me the deer are cruising the oaks looking for the few acorns that have/are falling.

Have not found any rubs yet.

I'm real excited about this season as I'm hunting with my Hill style longbow this year. Planning to scout some Monday.
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Centex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
I am so jealous of you guys. I left Transylvania County 3 1/2 years ago due to a layoff and I think about NC everyday.  Used to live in the heart of Pisgah but now live in the heart of Texas, while I see more deer here I enjoyed the scenery of NC better.  Does anybody hunt Pisgah?  All of the locals in Brevard seemed to go down to SC instead.
Howard Hill Halfbreed "Sol" 68" 50@29
Hoyt Buffalo 62" 45@28"

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
I am going to go and pull my trail camera card tomorrow and see what's been moving near one of my stands. I'll move the camera to a different spot too.
Getting ready.
   :archer2:
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©