3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: North Carolina Deer Season Prep and Highlights 2012  (Read 4201 times)

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: North Carolina Deer Season Prep and Highlights 2012
« Reply #260 on: November 06, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
Mike great news.
<><
<-------------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #261 on: November 07, 2012, 04:19:00 AM »
Congrats to you and your daughter Mike. Sounds like a perfect shot.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline T-D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #262 on: November 07, 2012, 06:25:00 AM »
Congratulations Preston on your new addition.

Congratulations Mike to you and your daughter.

Poor ole Bud it will be ok. I'll see you later this afternoon.
Resident Hog Slayer

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #263 on: November 07, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
Had 2 bucks come by looking for does this morning. One was the 110-115 inch 8pt I passed Sunday evening. It was all I could do to let him was he was at least 3 1/2 year old. I doubt I will be able to withstand the temptation again. He was 8-9 yards.LCH

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #264 on: November 07, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
Good on you Lee. Let em walk and shoot a few does for meat.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline NC BowBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #265 on: November 08, 2012, 12:04:00 AM »
Great self control, especially at that distance. Don't know if I could have let him walk
Christian Bow Hunters of America

Offline hunt4life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #266 on: November 08, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
Hunted this morning. Public ground. Saw a small bear right at daylight. About 0820 I hear deer hounds barking. They get closer, then I can see them about 0840. They ran around in a 100 yard circle several times and wouldnt leave. I decided I had enough and walked back to the truck. There were guys all up and down the road, sitting in their trucks with rifles, and rounding up their dogs. Thank god duck season is about to start.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #267 on: November 09, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
nothing this morning, tonight I had deer comming through the rhododendrum. Doe walked out downwind about 22-25 yards that was nervous so I waited because I knew she had more deer following. Buck came out at 15yards broadside. He was about even with his ears. Dumb to the world, and concentrating on that doe. I watch him chase her. He chased her through the gap in the fence and I have a camera there. I should have got him on camera. I think I know which one it was. Hoping to shoot a long nose doe for jerky.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #268 on: November 13, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
hunted today - snuck in just as the rain was stopping - cold N/W wind and saw 0 deer - but I did call in a gray fox and a great horned owl - both to within 10 yards and both at the same time  :)  had a head bobbing session with the owl until he decided I was too big to eat - the fox was figuring a way to steal a meal until he saw that owl and he VANISHED talk about scared !
I'm getting tired - might be close to pulling my tent for fall deer - I still love it every time out but I am BEAT  :)  been cooking vension chili ad backstrap w home fries
<><
<---------------<<<<<<

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #269 on: November 14, 2012, 06:54:00 AM »
deer movement has been slow here for the past few days as well. Heading down east today with friends to try and shoot a bear. Windy as hell this am. Hope it lays in the pm.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #270 on: November 14, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
Anyone going to K-Zoo.
Been seeing deer, no shooters, I guess I will have to settle on some does. I have several up and coming if they make it through rifle season. Starts Saturday here in the mountains. Road hunters holiday.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #271 on: November 15, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
Good luck down there, Don. Pierce a nice Bear!  :archer:
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #272 on: November 22, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
Finally had a doe come by me that was not running for her life from a buck chasing her. I made a 24ish yard shot and hit her through the ham. Thank goodness for those Simmon's Tigersharks. It worked out pretty darn good. She went about 100 yards the shark came out under her abdomen and almost field dressed her. Great broadhead.

Anyone else doing any good. Bud B. haven't heard from you are you able to hunt this weekend?LCH

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #273 on: November 22, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
Not much hunting lately. My oldest daughter got married last Saturday and we've been watching our new grandson while the couple is away on their honeymoon. Her husband has a son he adopted and now she's a mom and my wife and I are grandparents    :)    .

Aidan and I along with his new uncle, Duke (slim_grim), have done some stumpin' in our woods. That's about it.

I hope to get in the woods Saturday but that's not a guarantee.

Hope the trad hunters are still doing well now that rifle season is in.

Good luck all.

Bud
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #274 on: November 23, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
I should get out tomorrow and Sunday at least half a day each - might be my last deer hunts - almost time to switch to hog hunting and getting some sets in for coyotes. Was thinking about duck hunting for a day but I have not seen any real ducks on Jordan. Hunted Tuesday and saw no deer but saw a new bunch of baby squirrels coming out of a tree nest - really cute and little like hamster size. They were playing for some minutes until I moved just a little - probably thought my head was an owl cause they shut it down immediately and ran inside.
<><
<----------------------<<<<<<<

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #275 on: November 26, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
Bucks are still chasing. Shot a good 8 point this morning with the gun - he was chasing a doe big time. My cousin also shot a big 8 point in johnston county this morning - he was chasing does also.
I think this week and next will be real good - based on my buck success these weeks in past years...
I'm gonna see if I can get me something with my Northern Mist longbow now. I've killed at least one deer each year since I took up trad in 1995. I had bad luck on recovering a 6 point and doe with the bow this year so put it up for a while to get my head straight. I'm ready to pick it up again now    :)
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline mtnwalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #276 on: November 27, 2012, 05:29:00 AM »
gun season is in full effect in wnc, going out sat. unless kids get sick again.  going to wear as much blaze as i can.  lots of hunters on public land, well within the first 1/2 mile into the woods. stay safe during gun season folks.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #277 on: November 27, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
I went Saturday evening, I was on call Thursday and Friday so I did not want to chance it. About 4pm, a 2 and half year old 8 point came through and right under the stand. He was cruizing. I had him twice with a chip shot. He walked up jump my fence and was gone. I sat there thinking he better wize up and listened for a distant shot. Then Zoey came out with her fawn. She had two but I guess the coyotes killed one. Her and her fawn feed under the tree then a coyote hipped and she walked towards the sound and fed off. Zoey is my neibors deer, she has a tendacy to follow me through the woods looking for a handout. I can't get rid of her, but her fawns freak out. I guess they think she is committing suicide.

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #278 on: November 27, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
Congrats Preston and Melissa!!!!

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #279 on: November 27, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
Preston,
Sorry but I forgot to congratulate you and the wife. Very happy for ya'll. Sounds like you've got your priorities straight too.
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©