3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: North Carolina Deer Season Prep and Highlights 2012  (Read 4212 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: North Carolina Deer Season Prep and Highlights 2012
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
Hope you get some good pics. Post up if you do, please  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2012, 04:03:00 PM »
I've got my couple stands up as usual.  I've got two different cases of red bugs while trimming up shooting lanes. Food plot plowed and planted(peas, turnips, rape, and clover) , for those late Nov., Dec. hunts.  I've got 4 shooters on camera. Three during day light hours. The biggest has only showed up for the camera during the night times.

As far as shooting, i've been shooting at the whiffle ball in the back yard out to twenty yards.  I feel like I'm ready for the moment of truth.

All I can say, is the few cool mornings we've had (lows in the upper 60s), has really got me ready for the cooler temps and all that comes along with it.  I've even started to grow my winter coat. I'm not shaving until the end of Jan.  The spousal unit (stole that from another tread   :saywhat:  

I'm ready!!!!!!
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline adkarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »
Hi guys, just moved to NC a couple of months ago, living in Clemmons now and leasing a house in Lewisville in 2 weeks, outside of Winston-salem.  I have not had tine to scout with the recent move and job change, so winging it this year.  Anyone have experience with the Perkins or Alcoa game lands?  I see they are near me, no private land to hunt, so thought I would try those lands out.  Thanks for any info you might have.

Adkarcher
New York Bowhunters - Life Member
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Assoc.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
Come on down towards Asheboro sometime and we'll stalk/hunt Uwharrie. I'm probably an hour from you. Maybe a little more.

No info on those other GLs. Sorry.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
Adkarcher,
I cant help you with those game lands, but I'm in Clemmons and would be happy to help you out with any knowledge that would be useful to you. I am a member of Carolina Traditional Archers and will help you get connected with the great members there and go to the events we hold. Drop me a PM and we can talk.
Welcome to North Carolina.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
Adkarcher,
I cant help you with those game lands, but I'm in Clemmons and would be happy to help you out with any knowledge that would be useful to you. I am a member of Carolina Traditional Archers and will help you get connected with the great members there and go to the events we hold. Drop me a PM and we can talk.
Welcome to North Carolina.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline adkarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
Joe - sent you a pm.  Bud B. - will try and make it down, sounds like fun.

Adkarcher.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
Just donated $40 to NC for my hunting privileges. Best $40 spent all year!

My daughter's fiance' showed me his stand. There are over 15 persimmon trees within 30 yards of it!! And ripe persimmons are already on the ground. He's in a honey hole for sure.

Offline adkarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2012, 06:43:00 AM »
$40 is a steal.  Cost me $88 in NY for the same thing and then and extra $10 in order to shoot a doe (during rifle season) and that $10 does not even guarantee me a doe tag, just a chance at one.  I never felt the $88 was too bad, I certainly got my money's worth, but it was sticker shock (in a good way) when I bought mine Sunday.  I feel like I can buy some extra arrows or something now!

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »
renewed my license $80 sportsmans + CFRL + Trapping - this is one of the best deals in the country. 6 deer tags and I can buy 2 doe tags at a time w/o limit $10 per two tags.

I switched to Chippewa Wedgelocs about 12 years - and have 2 Climax platforms so I hung one yesterday on a cluster of oak trees. This way me or a hunt buddy can slip in with just the seat from a lone wolf climber and get a shot. The tree has 8 simmins steel bolts to cimb up and a screw in bow holder. I expect we'll get two at least from this set and it is a a back up spot.

Thunderstorms finally shut down my scouting LIFE MEMBER NCBA
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
Good luck this weekend guys!!!!
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
I just came back from checking my spot that's close to home. I jumped a bedded deer that was lying about 10 yards from my stand tree   :banghead:  

I plan on hunting it next week. I'll be elsewhere opening day.

Now, out to the bales...

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
Give Green's Swamp a try.  On Hwy 211.  Plenty of deer sign (dead deer in the road in the mornings).  Blood trailing in the poccisins is somewhat difficult.  Be sure to bring salt, pepper and some Jack Daniels in case you can't find your way out after a trail.  Exta water & coffee would make a nice touch.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2012, 05:43:00 AM »
Sorry I haven't looked at this thread for a couple days.

Bud, not sure where sunset beach is. I am up in kitty hawk.

Butchie there is a lot of hunting over here and a bunch of deer. They are very hard to hunt since it is big woods and no patterns to speak of. Pm me your number and I will give you my little knowledge

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2012, 07:35:00 AM »
Sunset Beach is near the SC line. I got a call last night from the Game Warden for Brunswick, Matt Chriscoe. Looks promising for Columbus County GL   :)

Offline cottonstalk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
This will be my first year with traditional equipment and will be hunting craven,Jones,lenoir,duplin,& caswell counties.

Offline n.c.swamp buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
Onslow and pender counties for me this year.One week in november out of state.can't wait.good luck guys and stay safe.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Almost here fellas!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
I hail from the Hillsborough area and over the years Butner-Falls GL has been my stomping grounds and down east, Croatan NF as well as some other well known eastern GL. I'm no longer setting stands. I have 2 climbers and I also hunt from the ground alot. I wish everyone good luck and I'm looking forward to following this thread. Go North Carolina!!
Member NCBA

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2012, 08:11:00 AM »
I have to leave for work in a short while. I'll try to hit the target butt for a few rounds of practice before leaving, but after that it's the real deal in the morning. I won't get back home from work until around 1030pm tonight.

Hopefully the rain will hold off, and let the cool front come on in...

Here's to a successful season for all.

:campfire:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©