3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: North Carolina Deer Season Prep and Highlights 2012  (Read 4297 times)

Offline agtex42

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: North Carolina Deer Season Prep and Highlights 2012
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »
Good luck this weekend yall!  Pick a spot and shoot straight, I can't wait to see the pictures.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »
I'm working this weekend, but I am sending good energy to my NC trad friends for their success this weekend. Good luck.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Mike Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
Working this weekend, hope to get on stand Monday. Good luck everybody!
NCBA Member
60" Wes Wallace Mentor T/D Kanati Limb Bolt Bow Quiver
60" Stalker Coyote XT Longbow Kanati Dual Arc Bow Quiver

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by smokin joe:
I'm working this weekend, but I am sending good energy to my NC trad friends for their success this weekend. Good luck.
x2 Stuck at work today as well.  Calling for afternoon storms, so evening hunt is our.  Good luck and hopefully we will be getting some good reports from those that were fortunate enough to kick the season of right this morning!!!!!!!!!
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
Checking in guys, my father and i doubled up on does this morning eating acorns. I knew the shot would be around 30yds due to a lack of suitable trees, Thats just a touch far so  i cheated and used wheels.

Normally i wouldnt have, but Dad really wanted to go there so i was happy to get to spend the morning with him.

Hope you guys had a good morning as well!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:

Beginning on page 11

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=118617    

Got some things to do so check in on the Hope and Faith thread for Faith's success in the Tarheel State.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
That's awesome Bud!  I hunted morning and evening today but didn't see hide nor hair.  I have yet to have any luck in NC since moving here in 2004, I just can't get the hang of early season hunting.  I still kill all my deer back in WV -- wish I could get them figured out here though.

Congrats again Bud!
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Online adkarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
Had 2 deer literally almost run me over, running right at me ( I was on the ground) till she noticed me at about 15 yards and the spun, took off.  Had a racked buck at about 25 yards, but always behind a tree or limbs till he took off and then 2 more does came out while I was watching him, but all were just our of my effective range.  I then saw 2 more does on the way out.  Overall, a good evening for my first ever hunt on NC gamelands and not knowing the territory.

Adkarcher
New York Bowhunters - Life Member
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Assoc.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
If you're on game lands you're doing great! Keep at it!

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
Congrats Bud.you are starting out great this year.that bloody arrow is sweet and the buck tells the story.Does it still have velvet?I hope to come later on this fall.stay at it.
see

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2012, 05:46:00 AM »
Yep. Still in velvet.  :)

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2012, 06:36:00 AM »
Good going, Bud.
   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »
Way to go Bud. Velvet makes him even better.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
I took my climber out this evening to set up for in the morning. I figured I'd sit for a while. A fawn appeared within about 30 minutes and hung around for a good while. Momma never showed up. I sat until dark.

Maybe in the morning.   :thumbsup:

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
Bud - AWESOME

hey guys I just got done breaking and icing.
HUGE Doe about 125 # I couldnt even pick it up - 15 yard shot - 40 yard recovery - 66# longbow - 2020 w 165 simmons sharks - what a beautiful day !!!! - saw several - this was the biggest - Persimmons are hammering NOW they are at least 10 days early guys go find one            :)          

was gonna hunt tomorrow after work but Im too tired - next hunt Thursday. I only have cell phone pics ?? not sure they ll make it to here.

soon after lunch I met my buddy Matt Quick since we hunt several properties together. We split the list and went seperately to scout check sign mostly acorns a couple a persimmons and we usually are looking for deer droppings this time of year since there is so much feed available.

I bumped 4 deer bedded under some oaks at one of our spots then proceeded to my afternoon spot. We'd been in there late August there is a single persimmon tree heavy and going early. A few large oaks nearby are not really going yet and there is plenty of big timber in this creek bottom. I park at the end of a cultisac and cross a fairway. Soon as I watch someone finish putting I blaze across this method mostly keeps me from getting hit by golf balls but I do hear plenty.

down the side - cross the creek - and I already have a tree in mind that is 20 yards from the persimmon. I sneak quietly after shinning up the creekbank and go to attach my lone wolf climber and IT DOESN'T FIT !?!?!?! - now im annoyed by making such a stupid mistake having laid an entry trail now which I hate - I quickly backtrack - down the creek - to another tree - and the stand goes on - but just barely. Ended up having to jump up into it grabbing the seat and doing a pullup sort of thing.

Quiet, quick climb and I am 16 feet up easily having made no more noise than a squirrel. A branch in front of me will make perfect cover so I hit it half way with a pruner and it lays half way down perfectly providing a sheild in front of me and since the tree I am in is a little too thick it completetly breaks any silhouette. hang pack - scew in a bow holder - screw in another one to hold my quiver and in just minutes I am practice drawing at shot windows in and around the persimmon tree and just as I start to relax I see a fruit drop           :)           so I immedaietly break out mini 10s binoculars and scan the ground. ? Nothing - looks like everything has been cleaned up and we know creek bottom and river bottom deer move a lot more than just dawn and dusk.

45 minutes later a hound dog pushes a doe by me and crashes what was a beautiful afternoon. moments later I hear people talking 150 yards away - could be a new homesite or timber work - dogs and people come with the territory hunting chatham county.

an hour later things look good agian - some more fruit has dropped - shadows have lengthened - crows have been yelling all afternoon - must be a roosted owl or hawk nearby - and I start thinking it may be time to pull that bow off the holder and at least have it in my hand - and as soon as I thought it I bumped it off the hook and too the ground !? You gotta be kidding me - I expect to make mistakes day one but this is ultra stupid !!

So I climb down - get my bow AND arrow - and climb back up - as I am turning to sit 2 deer blow at me and cantor out of there - bummed. That was probably my chance - lucky at that since a dog already pushed a different deer out earlier - I can't believe I have blown it and begin to get mentally ready "when to pull out" but also it is a beautiful day so I just sit back and enjoy the show. Sunset is only 15 minutes away and i have a front row seat.

10 minutes later the biggest doe I have seen in years walks in almost directly under me - I do not move - and she looks at the trail I entered and I think she thinks I left. I am pretty sure she heard something earlier but if they are bedded you almost have to step on them to get em up.

She walks under the tree and starts nuzzleling and feeding - and in just a couple a minutes her head is behind a tree trunk so I stand slowly steadily and with no noise. her head comes up she scans around and starts to feed and walk at the same time like deer like to do and I see an opening in some lower limbs she will go under and i decide if her chest goes through that opening I will shoot.

She does and I make a perfect shot from full draw 15 yards and she bucks and steps back and stands there - obviously not knowing what has just happened. Couple a seconds later she takes a few quick walking bounds and stops 40 yards out standing still but tail twitching wildly and I know she is annoyed at something. About 10 seconds later she falls over front legs futilly motioning running away she passed into a final sleep.

I put the binoculars on her to confirm but I was shaking so bad it was nothing but a blur - then she must have completely relaxed as her weight rolled slightly showing bright white belly we all do love to see. It is amazing how well deer can blend in alive but when they are dead that belly is like a road sign.

Happiness is a lot of things and for today double lung placement and a trail so short it can be confirmed from stand will have to do           :)          

Matt was hunting a few miles away and good thing since I could drag the deer out but could not lift it.

By Friday the meat will be aged 5 days and we are making a huge batch of chili out of the whoe deer (minus backstraps of course)

Great start to what looks like a great year - we have a small circle of friends we send cell ph pics too for some years now - first thing we do when we walk up on a kill - after a brief prayer of THANKS.

<><
<-----------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline cottonstalk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2012, 12:43:00 AM »
Congrats, I haven't seen anything yet.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2012, 05:19:00 AM »
Congrats Cory!

:thumbsup:

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2012, 06:20:00 AM »
Good going, Cory.
   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2012, 07:06:00 AM »
Thanks for the pic Cory. Simmons did the job again for you. (as usual).  

I'm starting my season thursday as well ( my 50th birthday). Gonna be after them hard thru  the weekend. Moon will be darkest on saturday. Feels good out this am. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2012, 07:41:00 AM »
Congrats Bud & Cory. Cory Simmon's is the way to go. Happy Bday Thurs. Don you are catching me. Good luck everyone.LCH

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©