3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can you believe this?????  (Read 361 times)

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
Can you believe this?????
« on: August 28, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
Hi Gang,

when training with one if my pupils something remarkable happened. We were shooting balloons. I found out that balloons are very stimulating to aim better... Besides of that, you can make them as big or small as you like, they come in different colors and don't cost much. We shoot them between the 15 and 60 yards.
We were at 40 yards or something. As my pupil had difficulties in hitting the medium blown balloon, I warned her I would shoot it (it always sucks when somebody else shoots the balloon).

To give you an idea: I was shooting a 45 lbs hybride, six strands string, no silencers and a Sitka Spruce arrow of appr. 450 grains and a very sharp fieldpoint. This set-up gives my arrows a speed of against the 190 fps.
I was sure I hitted it dead-center with my first arrow, but no popping sound and the balloon stayed in one piece. We walked towards the pack to check things out. My arrow went straight trough the balloon, dead-center all-right and nailed it to the pack. But: ...it didn't pop just the air was very slowly going out, it shrinked in 15 minutes or so.

Weird? I think maybe the rubber of the balloon melted around the arrow and sealed it?

We took a pic of it, because we thought this was very remarkable:

Shot at 2012-08-28
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can you believe this?????
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
That is very interesting!  I am also curious as to the target shown in the picture.  Is it a commercial unit or is it something you made yourself?

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
Good shot, interesting result.
Sam

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
COOL!

How did you end up with a spruce arrow of 450 grain?
I tried to get the lightest shafts I could in spruce to end up with 450 grain total arrow for my 45# bow but they were always 100 or more grains overweight.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
Just one of life's unexplainables  :dunno:  

Steve

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
The pack is a commercial unit. it is from the German bowcompany Bearpaw. They are 80 by 80 centimeters and the black center is interchangable when it is worn too much. It is expensive: €130,- for the complete pack and a spare black center cost € 25,- You get the first center for "free".
Kustom King has import from Bearpaw but they don't have the pack as far as I know.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Zradix:
COOL!

How did you end up with a spruce arrow of 450 grain?
I tried to get the lightest shafts I could in spruce to end up with 450 grain total arrow for my 45# bow but they were always 100 or more grains overweight.
I use 100 grains fieldtips   :)   The bare 32 inch shafts weigh at 60 lbs between the 340 and 360, depending ont the batch. I cut them to 29.5 inches, so I loose some weight. When I finished them I always end up around the 450, inclusive fletching, nock, 100 grains fieldpoint and dye
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 11:11:00 AM »
That is strange!  Interesting!
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
Thanks Ad.
100 grain tips do make a heck of a difference.
I do love spruce shafts..so light and strong..
   :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
John,
I do love them too. As you said, light and strong and also mostly in the same weight range.Downside is that the bare shafts as you get them aren't very straight. But I am have a simple technique for straightening them, now its a breeze for me.
On my 45 lbs bow I use a 53 lbs spine and on my 51 lbs bow I use 60 lbs. All with 100 grains fieldpoints. On my 51 lbs bow this results in 450 grains too, or 9 GPP. It shoots that fast, my vanes start smokin'. Lets say it is well above the 200 fps.

You could consider buying 100 grains two blades glu on Magnus broadheads. Yow will end up with a FOC around the 10% but that shoots awesome.
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »
That would not have happened if you were using a VPA   :biglaugh:
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
Shooting with VPA's or similar broadheads will ruin your expensive pack in no time...
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
THANKS FOR THE INFO AD!

I've always looked for more foc than that which led me to higher spined shafts (70# range)...which of course ended up weighing more and with the 200 grain tips I was ending up with 650-700 grain arrows.

I'll have to look into trying a light 100 grain head...

Right now I'm dabbling in the dark side and trying a beman bowhunter 500 full length with a 175 grain head. Comes out to 450 grains and flies nice...but it just isn't wood...

Thanks again!

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
Sure, try the 100 grains head. You can try fieldpoints first. I use a spine of 54lbs, standard nock, and cut the sitka's shaft to 29,5 inches. I draw 29 inches and my bow delivers 45 lbs@29". High- or low FOC, when you hit the vitals, the animal is dead.  

Truth be told. I ordered 3 dozen GT 1535 (.600)Blems at Big Jim's for my 45 lbs Peregine. I leave them uncut, use a standard insert (11.4 grains), use a 85 grains fieldpoint and fill the nock up with a little led, so it weighs around the 20 grains. Then I have to fill up the shaft with some foam, otherwise it is too light.
In this way I end up at 9 GPP (405 grains) and a FOC of 10%.
This set-up is similar to my 53 LBS Pregrine but there I use Sitka. The idea is to switch without any problems between the two bows, because the arrows weigh the same and have the same FOC.

However, for me wood shoots much better. Like you said, carbon's fly nice but it just isn't wood!

It's no good if it ain't wood!

(it just popped in my head suddenly)

If I can't get used to the blems, I will sell them again...    :(
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Ty-bone727

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
When I was in the 3rd grade a teacher brought a balloon and a shiskabob stick and showed us that you can stick the sharp pointed stick in the balloon without it popping.   Still can't explain it but it is possible.

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
It has something to do with the molecules and their density in the area.  They are more compact and not stretched at the top and the knot of a balloon.  If you were to run a skewer or in this case an arrow through this area it will just poke through rather than pop.  So the more saggy a material is the less prone it is to ripping.  An animals hide is kid of the same.  An animal with relaxed skin is going to have smaller holes in it than one who's skin was taught.  Science, Hunting and Archery all in one lesson!! I love it

BTW nice shot!
The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years.
---James Forrestal

Sticks and stones will break some bones and feed my family this winter.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »
"The Arrow Aint No Good If It Aint Wood!!"  I Like it!!    :thumbsup:   All the Arrows I shoot are Woodies anymore!! Need to unload some Aluminums, one of these days!   :biglaugh:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
Thats pretty cool.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
I am assuming the balloon was only partially inflated and the low pressure within allowed the balloon to flex with the shot, until the resistance of the backstop as met.  At the same time, the hokie that as created was partially closed when the arrow pinched the balloon into the backstop.  (kinda' like why you don't remove a knife from a stab wound until you are in the hospital)

Kingsnake

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©