3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wood shafts & cracks  (Read 236 times)

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
wood shafts & cracks
« on: August 28, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
What's the best way to check for a cracked arrow? I have one that appears to have a split near the field point, but it's hard to tell if it's a surface imperfection, or if it is deep enough to matter.

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wood shafts & cracks
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
I would flex it by trapping the tip with something and using my hand to flex right above the suspected area. If there was no clear answer after that I would discard it and never fire it again without a second thought. Too risky. God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
X2
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »
Thanks. Figured flexing was the only way, but was hesitant to do it.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
Down near the tip is tough but I'd unmount the field point and see if the crack extended right down to the point of the wood. As other have said, discard it if broken.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
My good archery buddy Doug just recently had a woodie explode at release and the fletched end half went through his hand by the thumb. Not a pretty sight. Very lucky there was no nerve or bone damage. With that being said if the break is across the shaft at the tip it's done and you will have a shorter arrow but if a small crack (inch or so) extending down the shaft (usually after a field point has been broken off and light splinter) toward and into the tip of the field point I have glued several, retapered and shoved them back into the field point with hot melt and they have been fine until the next rock. It's your call but be smart about it. The tip of a woodie can look pretty beat and still be OK. Anywhere in the shaft and not at the tip I would discard.

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 05:48:00 PM »
You can also hold the point with a pair of pliers and twist the shaft with other hand and sometimes find a crack that you didn't have clue was there. Can't tell you how hard to twist but it doesn't take much pressure to show a problem if it exists. The vibration test is cool too. I too have scars on my thumb from an arrow that broke in the middle of the fletching. Make ya short draw for awhile I guarantee!
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
Good tip with the pliers Ralph. Never thought of or seen that one. Thanks!!!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
Depends on the type of crack, but a hard flexing is a good place to start.  If it's cracked across the grain, which it usually is behind the point, the point will likely break off.  If it occurs higher up the arrow, the arrow will likely break in half.  Better you do it by flexing than by shooting.  

Good idea to sight down the arrow if you suspect it might be cracked.  If it is, it might have a noticeable kink/bend, behind the point or wherever the crack occurred.  Further, there might be a slight break in the finish. It would look like a small line across the grain. Cracks that go with the grain usually open up and are easy to see.  Twisting will show those splits, as Rufus points out.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©