3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flu Flu`s  (Read 129 times)

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
Flu Flu`s
« on: August 29, 2012, 01:49:00 AM »
I thought the idea of a FLU FLU was for it to slow down quickly and not go that far. I watch guys at my local range shoot FLU FLU`s out to almost 80yds..is this normal?

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flu Flu`s
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 02:12:00 AM »
I know what you mean.  I shoot flu flus and they go pretty far but they do seem to lose speed more quickly.  A sprial feather seems to have more drag than a tall feather and lots of off set on a tall feather seems to slow it dowm also.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 02:34:00 AM »
It depends upon the flu-flu design.
Four big feathers will go furthest.
Six big feathers will not go quite as far.
A spiral fletch will go the least distance.

You just taylor your design to what you need it to do.
If I'm shooting at quail that get up pretty close in heavy cover I may want a spiral flu-flu. But if I'm hunting dove that are further away in open country I'm going to want that arrow to go further before it drops.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
That is not uncommon.  As mentioned the fletching style will greatly affect the distance, with a double spiral fletch having the greatest stopping power.  The other big factor is the angle of the shot.  In hunting situations, ie flushing pheasants, most shots are at much lower angles which results in closer arrow retrievals.  When shooting aerial targets just for fun, I would recommend using the maximum stopping power fletching style and keep the targets relatively low so that I can spend more time shooting and less time walking to get my arrows.

If hunting is the end goal then there is more to consider.  If your flu flu only travels 50 yards when shot at a steep angle, you will probably be lacking the necessary knockdown power on a flushing bird at 15-20 yards.  Stopping the arrow too fast can be detrimental in hunting situations as well as letting them fly too far can cost your arrows in many situations.  Like Greg wisely pointed out, you really need to taylor your fletching style to the bird and terrain you are hunting.  Small birds at short distances don't need as much retained energy as a goose at thirty yards.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©