3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elbow Issue - need some advice  (Read 433 times)

Offline ALDO

• Trad Bowhunter
Elbow Issue - need some advice
« on: August 29, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Well had some pain in my left elbow, I shoot RH, gave it a decent rest since Denton Hill and no better.  Went to Dr., Tennis elbow, wearing splint to assist.  Question for those that have suffered.  I currently shoot a 58" 50# longbow and I can draw fine but the release kills me.  Would going lighter in weight and moving to a 3 pc longbow,(larger/heavier riser) and maybe longer bow reduce the shock of the shot?  1.5 weeks to the opener and this.  Any advice will be taken seriously.
Thanks in advance,
ALDO
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."
     Jose Ortega y Gasset

Re: Elbow Issue - need some advice
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
Not sure what bow you are shooting now but if there is handshock, it will be painful. Less can be obtained with a lighter bow, a bow with a heavier riser, a bow with a different design-- if I were you, I'd look for a 3-piece TD longbow 45#, maybe a Bob Lee or the like. You won't feel a thing.

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
Agreed with Huntryx, shock seems to kill your elbow. Try an hybrid or a recurve.

Good luck,
F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
Shooting less can help.  I had this problem too several years ago.  I hate to tell you but it took a long while to get over.

One thing that worked for  me was a tip from a friend.  Place  your hand against the edge of a table palm down so the back of the hand is against the edge, hand vertical.  Now slowly push against the table stretching the muscles along the top of your arm.  I found doing this several times a day helped alot.  I hope my description makes sense.

Oh and the elbow band works too, it just takes  time.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
My 2 cents worth is this.  58" is pretty short for a straight ended bow -- I hesitate to call a 58" bow a "long" bow.  

Follow Dr's advice first and foremost!!  That said, describe your grip on the bow (death grip or loose and relaxed?) and how your elbow is positioned (locked joint? bent?, etc.).  A locked elbow will magnify any shock generated and gives your elbow no place to go.

Once you are shooting again (per Dr.) try a relaxed grip and a straight but not locked elbow and see if that helps.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
I agree with the above.
Follow Dr. orders.
Find/tune a bow with minimum handshock.
A heavy arrow can really help too.

When I was starting trad I was getting a very sore elbow. I could tell it was from handshock. I tried everything I could think of at the time to eliminate shock. Still really hurt my elbow.
Thought that trad is just not for me.

Tried a buddy's bow..and wholla..NO PAIN.
Since then I've tried a few bows and none have hurt my elbow.
I went back recently and tried to tune the "limb shaker" now that I know quite a bit more about tuning..3-4 shots the pain is back no matter what I do for tuning out the shock.

Some bows bows are just not built for some people...
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 09:38:00 AM »
I went thru the same thing last hunting season and thru the Spring. I dropped down in bow weight a little, quit shooting every day, iced my elbow after shooting, took Aleve as needed.
My elbow is much better now, and as long as I don't shoot the one longbow I still own, that has a little noticeable shock, I'm good to go with my hybrids and recurves. lol
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
Short longbows are kind of an oxymoron.     If you're having elbow problems I'd recommend getting off that longbow and go to a recurve in the 43-46 pound range.

I have a 62" Mohawk, 51# @ 27" and I love it but were I to buy another I'd go with a 64" bow instead.   I can feel a gentle thump in my Hawk but I think that a longer "long" bow would be more gentle.

Anticipating shoulder problems as I have aged I asked Ed Holcombe to build a 43# @ 28" 1959 Kodiak reproduction for me last year.   It's beautiful and it's capable of killing any deer or hog that I'd care to shoot.    Kudo's to you Ed.

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
I have a hybrid longbow and it still causes me to have elbow pain. I still shoot it from time to time but have learned to just stick with my recurves. I can shoot them everyday with no problems.

Ross
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
I went through it as well, but it was in my draw elbow. I was shooting a heavy 3-piece 60# high grip recurve and switched to a 50# light one-piece lowgrip longbows (MOAB and a Centaur). I don't know if it was the change in bowstyles or just the draw weight, but all my elbow pain is gone.

Offline ALDO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
Gentlemen,
THanks for all your input.  I currently shoot a Centaur but have a new to me ACS 3 piece that is about 4 pounds lighter on its way to me.  Was hoping this may help out.  If not I will look to go lighter and I do have access to a Predator recurve in the 45# range if I need to switch.
Again Thanks
ALDO
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."
     Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »
ALDO, in the meantime look into purchasing a Thera-Band Flexbar and follow the exercises that come with it. Get a medium or heavy. Anytime my elbow/shoulder starts hurting a week of consistent exercise takes it away. I also agree with the above advice but with one exception. Don't get a bow with LESS shock, get one with NO hand shock.
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline ALDO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
Bill,
Thanks for the advice on the Thera Band I will look into that.  I am hoping the ACS 3 piece will fit the no hand shock bow.
     Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
I'm surprised your doctor didn't send you to physical therapy.  If you have it bad enough,  changing bows won't help.

Then again, I have zero experience with longbows.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline Knobbir

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
I have a similar, if not the same, issue.  
I made a long bow - 71" and 58#- and it has hand shock.  2 months of shooting and then I'm at the Doc's.  He told me 2 months to 1 year for full recovery.  No pulling any bows for at least 5 weeks.  No stretches, bands, or heavy weights until the pain is gone.  No hunting; the season is half over here.
I'm looking for a 35# recurve, and possibly a coach (I was having release issues before the elbow pain).  These were the Doc's suggestions (he pulls a wheelee bow).  I'll be watching this thread and any follow-ups on your rehab.  Here's to a quick recovery!!

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
Man Knobbir that sucks. Reminds me to be more careful and pay attention to what my body is telling me. I shattered my left elbow (bow arm) when I was 5 years old. My arm is a little crooked but I have full use and no disability. 9 years U.S. Army Infrantry. However some bows just hurt to shoot. I'll be 49 in a couple of weeks and I want to be shooting for a long time. I think I'll just stick to my recurves. Long bows aren't for everyone and if recurves were good enough for Fred Bear they're good enough for me.

Good Shooting,
Ross
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
I  have had this problem in both elbows. See the doctor and follow his orders - no way around this. I did some physical therapy as well. The worst part is that I had to cut way back on the poundage I shot as well as the number of arrows shot at any time. These things helped but I still have flare ups from time to time. Rest is the answer to that. Pain relievers are good but be sure to cover all that with the doc also. This is the primary reason I no longer shoot my heavy weight longbow.

Also, as you get older you will be more susceptible to ailments. That is a fact of life, so adjust your archery as your body changes.Use good common sense and you will be back in good form in due time.

I dropped 13 pounds in draw weight and may need to drop another 10 this year.

Its not always drawing the bow that causes tendonitis. Mine developed when the indoor range I shot on installed new targets. Pulling arrows was very difficult. Soon pain developed in the elbow of the arm I generally use to pull arrows, so I started pulling them with the other arm, and the situation developed in that elbow as well, hence tendonitis in both elbows.
Sam

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
Years back I had a bad elbow, weight lifting to keep my strength for shooting 90 plus pound longbows and a collar slipped off. Fought it for months, the meds did not heal it, they only partially blocked the pain.  I shot a deer that year with a 36 pound Hill, remarkably effective kill. Anyway, I finally went to a chiropractor, he told me that the reason the elbow would not heal was because it was out of place. Treatments, ice and supplements worked and after a month I was back to normal, thankfully I have only had minor strains since then.
  Once this summer I stung my right elbow shooting left handed with a very fine recurve.  I was trying to see how long of a draw I could muster, locking out that bow arm for me, is just asking for problems.

Offline mt-dew10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 02:40:00 PM »
I had this same issue very recently.  The pain was unbearable.  I switched to a recurve and the pain disappeared in a few weeks.  

Prior to switching, I tried differing my grip style.  No dice.  The damage seemed to be done.

The transition to recurve is going okay.  My Gaps are the same at all yardages.
I enjoy being a traditional archer!!

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
I had the same thing and it started and got worse with me using a high wrist grip on recurves.  I had rehab exercises, anti inflamitorys, iced every night.  Changing to a heavier (weight) bow has done a lot too.  I am shooting a DAS DX5 with longbow limbs using a longbow type grip versus the high wrist and have had better results.  Good luck.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©