3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Properly Aged"  (Read 400 times)

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
"Properly Aged"
« on: August 29, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
Just wanted to give a shout out to Ray Lyon for his article in TBM, and his glimpse into life at Shrewhaven.  I thoroughly enjoyed it Ray.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Properly Aged"
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
:(  my store doesnt have the new TBM yet maybe soon? or is this the one that says"shooting accuratly out of your treestand"?
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
Really well done article Ray, I really enjoyed reading it!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
Eric it's the Oct/Nov 2012 issue.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »
Dang it, I thought we were going to have a good ol' Kentucky bourbon discussion.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
Thank you for the kind words gentleman. I've been truely blessed with some great experiences at Shrewhaven and of course wonderful people.  I'm looking forward to the camp workbee coming up in a couple of weeks.  The last four or five miles in to camp is like the same feeling I had running out to the Christmas tree on Christmas morning-you don't know what you're going to unwrap in the form of landscape changes or seeing a nice deer on the way in.  

TJ, we have great bourbon discussions at camp. We're always sampling new stuff and we even go so far as to have a special jug with natural spring water from a natural spring that's just off the roadside about an hour from camp so that we can add a 'splash of branch' to our bourbon.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
I got my magazine yesterday, and have read the editorial and half the letters. I hope to have time to read it tomorrow.

My hunting camp has a spring, about 50 yards from where I pitch my tent. It is just a pipe thrust into the hillside, which at some point got a treatment of flagstones which are sadly dwindling. The water drops about 18 or 20 inches into a gravelly little pool. Do not, for any reason, mess with the natural filter of moss on the pipe's mouth. It will cough up mud for a good twenty minutes.

I go and visit the Spring as soon as camp is mostly up. She will keep me amply supplied with cold water that tastes better than Deer Park for the length of my visit. I drink it without boiling, have done so for about 26 years. I am bonded with that Spring, and think on her often. She flows down the mountain, and eventually past my citified home as bits of Potomac River. She supplies me, body, soul and mind, with good, pure, invigorating liquid meditation.

Adding this water to any beverage raises it a notch closer to perfect. Matter of fact, I believe it to be God's Own Elixir. Too bad Ron put his camp so far away from it.

Killdeer~ getting misty just thinking about her.
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
Agreed. Nicely done Ray.
lll

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 06:44:00 AM »
Dang it. Don't have mine yet. I know Rays work is always a great read.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
Just read it last night    :readit:   , good job Ray.   :saywhat: ..   :bigsmyl:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
I agree with everyone...it's a very good read.  Nice follow up too, Killdeer.  When will you be published in TBM?
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
Just read it last night     :readit:    , good job Ray.    :saywhat:  ..    :bigsmyl:  
Naaaaaahhhhh  :laughing:

G. Fred Asbell

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
quote:
 Naaaaaahhhhh     :knothead:  ....   :mad:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
Yup.

:biglaugh:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
It was a good read.......You fellas are blessed to have such a place......I belong to a camp....have for 30+ years, but alas I'm the only bow hunter and most have lost their drive and spirit of adventure. I guess I'm the only one who never grew up!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
 You guys should cherish every moment you spend there!!  
We certainly do  
 http://www.shrewbows.com/shrewhavenlodge.html

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
"Shrew Haven is an Oasis, where we must return as often as we can, to drink deep of it's healing waters, and thus be sustained 'til we come to this place again."  

You see Killy, the cabin truely was built next to the spring. We're just talking about a different kind of water now, and yet it's the same.  

There was a story years ago in TBM about a camp and the author described the coolers sitting outside the cabin. I believe the camp was in Wisconsin.  None the less, as soon as I read it I thought of our camp, which has about 8 coolers sitting outside containing food for the week and malted beverages.  

This thread makes me want to be at camp next week. But alas it will come before we know it and pass before we know it.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 06:48:00 AM »
I've heard rumors that the top gets pulled on a bottle or two of Basil Hayden's around those parts.  If I were to show up at the gate with a box of Arturo Fuentes finest (that might have to be Curleyheads, not Opus X) would y'all let a redneck in?
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »
  If I were to show up at the gate with a box of Arturo Fuentes finest (that might have to be Curleyheads, not Opus X) would y'all let a redneck in?  
You surely wouldn't be turned away..    :campfire:  

:goldtooth:

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
I finally read it. Great job Ray! Shrewhaven certainly is a wonderful place.

G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©