3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help with Picking out a Treestand  (Read 438 times)

Offline roundbal

• Trad Bowhunter
Help with Picking out a Treestand
« on: August 29, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »
I will be bowhunting all traditional this year.  As a matter of fact my last remaining bow with training wheels will be sold after I get off of work (hopefully). I am wanting climbing treestand because where I hunt you have to move a lot. Sometimes one spot for a morning hunt and another for an evening hunt and I my finances will only let me get one for now.  So basically I have narrowed it down to a climber.  I have been looking at the Summit Titan and Summit Goliath because I am currently weighing in around 315-320 clothed and there stands are rated for 350#. The only drawback (if any) is I am worried the bar on it will interfere with the drawing of the bow.  I will be using my 62" Kota. Also I am not a fan of heights so I won't be that high up thats for sure  :)   What are yalls opinions? Feel free to recomend other stands as well. Would rather have some expert advice and buy a stand I hate later.
Kota Prairie Fire 55@28 60"
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 56@28 58"
Treadway Black Swamp 52@28 58"

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help with Picking out a Treestand
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
i have the most uncomfortable stand in the world

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Gorilla-Treestands-Expedition-Climber&i=444165&aID=503H13A&merchID=4006

i got it for price and the fact it wasnt comphy i knew i wouldnt fall asleep too easily i can shoot my 68" longbows out of it with very little problem
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
Check out Lone Wolf wide sit n climb.  Rated to 350, very quiet and the climbing bar folds under the seat leaving the front open for the shot.

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
PM Sent.

Thanks
Kyle

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Flingblade:
Check out Lone Wolf wide sit n climb.  Rated to 350, very quiet and the climbing bar folds under the seat leaving the front open for the shot.
They aren't cheap, but I'd also think hard on getting one.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline roundbal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
The lone wold looks good and I like that the bar folds down.  I just can't swing $400+ right now.  Looking to spend no more than $300 or so.  I will have to think about it tho.  Very nice looking stand. Thanks for the replies guys.

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
ericmerg, how do you shoot with that knee-busting bar in front of you.  I have the Summit Openshot, which I have no trouble with... and a Treewalker without a front bar and have an issue shooting without hitting my tips on the side bars if the deer is not right in front of the stand.  I have to cant the heck out of the bow to shoot out of it, where as the Open shot and all my lock ons, I have no prob with.

Dave

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
I have a Summit Viper with the bar across the front and have used my 64" recurve with no problems.  I just set it so it a little lower than my waist a bit above mid thigh, just have make sure the bow is out side of the bar when a shot oportunity happens.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
roundbal: have you used a climber before?

If you don't like heights it might be a good idea to give one a trial run before buying. Or any kind of treestand for that matter. Do you have any friends with a climber?

I think it was Paul Bruner that had a funny quote about climbers.

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
Summit. Very comfortable. Very affordable.

Offline roundbal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
Yes I used to use a climber before when I hunted with a compound and sold it when I started using a crossbow.  I didn't go up very high but it was more efficient than hunting on the ground. But I can very proudly say I do not use training wheels anymore! I just sold my horizontal bow and now am strictly stick and string!

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
Summit open shot got mine for 215.00 brand new a few years back it has been great
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline roundbal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
I have been looking at the Summit open shot it's just I am a big guy and I am afraid it won't be big enough for me (5'10" 315lb...fat guy...lol)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »
No on the open shot only a 250# stand I think.  They are great for bowhunters though.

My bad the NEW SD models are rated for 300#s
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
Why don't you consider a ground blind ?, Or a good gillie suite, hunting from the ground is the way to go, especially if your afraid of heights, and it's very productive once yo get use to it.

If not try an Old Man stand, very comfortable, very safe, open shot in front, even though you have a bar, I have tried many but still go back to my old man stand when needed.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Green Mountain Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
I picked up a summit bushmaster (like the open shot I think) from a fellow Tradganger up here for under $100.  It is a great stand.  I also use a Summit Viper but always worry about the crossbar and my limbs!
That's why they call it hunting....

No Name 50# at 28" (maybe Ben Pearson)
'69 Bear Grizzly 40# at 28"
Great Plains Wolf Creek  50# at 28" one piece
Fruit of the Loom Size Large

Offline roundbal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
I am still lost.  Not sure which way to go.  I kind of like the Summit Titan.  I wonder if you can't walk out to edge of base and lean over to shoot? I wonder if bow would need to be inside or outside of rail?

Offline gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
Screaming Eagle...made by a traditional archer...Paul Brunner...you can hang a VW bug from them, and they advertised it.

Offline 10point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 07:16:00 AM »
I have a summit viper and the climbing bar gets in the way,,, cost me a deer last year.  Yeah, you can shoot around it but for close shots it is difficult. Just bought a summit Razor and the climbing bar folds under the seat,,,, a much better choice for a tradman. If you buy direct from Summit, you might be able to buy a Titan base ( 350 lb.) with a Razor top section. one thing about all climbers,,,, stay cinched to the tree at all times including the climb up amd down,,,, saw an accident year when a cable came loose on the way down,,, it was not pretty.

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
If I was to by a climber it would be a Lone Wolf.
But Im a ground hunter. Getting to old to climb trees. And latley for me less is more.
Been hunting from the ground for 4-5 years. Had more than enough shots to let me know that if you are careful you can hunt from the ground.
Between me and my buddy we get more shots than most with compounds (but we'll and have shot anything)
The only benifit to a tree stand in my opinion is see further and your scent is better controled.
Try ground hunting , I think you'll like it.
Slickhead

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©