3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shoulder pain  (Read 308 times)

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
Shoulder pain
« on: August 29, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
There has been a lot of talk about draw weight lately,got me thinking. I shoot a 45# very light (physical weight of actual bow)hybrid.I love the bow. For the last few months my shoulder has been bothering me, I layed off shooting for several days. Shot 12 arrows yesterday and today. Shoulder now thobs - the shoulder is the one that holds the bow. I have no hand shock,this is a quality custom bow. I shoot carbons with a 175 field point. If this continues I was wondering if a heavier bow both in drawing weight and physical weight would help. The shoulder feels like Rotator but that is just a feeling... I took health is high school and they only taught you about dandruff and bad breath - I've had both.. so that doesn't make me a medical expert. Has anyone had shoulder issues that were helped by a change in draw weight and bigger heavier mass/riser?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shoulder pain
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
fm,  Heavier Is NOT, NOT, NOT!!!! the way to go.  It is impossible to say why you are experiencing this especially without a picture or video!!

My first question would be whether you are letting your bow shoulder "ride up"??  YOU need to keep it DOWN AND BACK rather than let it ride up towards you head/jaw on the bow side.

Get your self checked out by a DR. first!!! -- get that shoulder evaluated.  There should be NO stress on the rotator cuff on the bow side if you are anywhere close to correct.

REPEAT!!! Heavier will NOT solve your problem but likely make it worse!!

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
Heavier will kill you. I'm just about dead. Listen to me, moebow and your doctor. DONT MESS AROUND or you will be like me. I havent shot hardly at all since January. Every time I try I go back 3 months.
David M. Conroy

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
After riding out the pain of my shoulder (draw arm) It pays to go to a doctor.  I had surgery in May and I am back at the draw weights I was at before.  You will heal better if it is light damage than if you had major damage ie if you keep shooting.  Heck you never know it may just be a pulled muscle and a week of rest may fix it.
The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years.
---James Forrestal

Sticks and stones will break some bones and feed my family this winter.

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
I am in the same boat with my draw arm. I fell on my board while surfing. I am waiting for knee surgery and do not want to find out that the shoulder needs it too. Can't imagine what a 2nd surgery will cost. Anyone know of a good 2 for 1 deal:)
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 12:12:00 AM »
I had shoulder issues for several years till I picked up a 'shoulder horn' bar to exercise with and began using better mechanics to draw a bow...my back muscles and not my arm. Do a Google for shoulder horn and give that a try. Also take the advice about seeking medical help/examination.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 12:20:00 AM »
Like was said above go to the doc and get it checked.  I put mine off for way too long and what started as a labrial tear ended up with 5 tears found in the test and a sixth during the surgery.  I had labrial, rotator, bicep and I don't remember what they called it but it was the sack around the shoulder joint that holds fluid.  Anyways, my recovery time was much longer and I'll always have pain but I just work through it.  It's much better to get on top of it early when it might be fixable without surgery or minimal surgery.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 12:46:00 AM »
It might not be a rotator cuff injury. When my left shoulder started aching, I thought it was a rotator cuff tear.

It turned out it was not a rotator tear, but a bone spur in the left AC shoulder joint.

Go see an orthopedic surgeon and have the shoulder x-rayed.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 01:01:00 AM »
as a heavy bow advocate i will strongly urge you to stop and  see a doctor and do not! get a heavier bow for atleast a few weeks after
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Offline Tracks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 02:35:00 AM »
Get a heavier bow, but switch to 3-under and you'll be fine!    ;)
Just kidding. If you aren't interested in going to the doc right away, a good physical therapist could help you decide if a trip to the doc is necessary and may be able to get you started with good PT exercises.
Hope it starts to feel better! Shoulder injuries are tough!

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 04:34:00 AM »
If you do get the diagnosis of a Rotator Cuff, there are great exercises you can do to strengthen it. I've battled with it for a long time and by making sure I do the exercises and stretch before shooting I am usually fine. But when I feel it pop up, I lay off. Also check your form and make sure you are not hyper extending your bow arm.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Adam X

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
If your family practitoner will refer you, I'd try a physical therapist that does ASTYM or Graston technique scraping treatment. This has worked well for my rhomboid and AC joint inflammation as well elbow tendonitis in the past.

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
My non-bow arm was sore after shooting and sleeping on it. I put it off way too long I thought it my be a rotator cuff tear. I didn't want to miss the season.
Finally had it looked at in the winter and it was bursitis. Worked it out with physical therapy.
It was a little sore after not shooting for months but now it's fine.

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »
Guys, THANK YOU all for your input. It appears that added mass and/or heavier draw weight is to be avoided. I will check my form ("bow shoulder down and back"-Moebow) and see what that does. I have a great phy. therapist I know who will work with me if that does not do it. Hope everyone has a great season this fall. Thanx

Offline Cato

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »
I've had three surgeries for rotator; two times on one side and once on other.  Not fun.

Absolutely do not go heavier. YOur body is trying to tell you something.  If you can find a physical therapist that has been around a while (say 15 years at least) that would probably be a good option.  The younger ones I saw did not have the experience, and one of them actually had me doing exercises that made it worse.  The guy I found was an archer and very good.  He was very helpful.

If he's an experienced PT, he will know if you need to see a doc.  If so, will probably be an orthopedic.  My bow arm ached badly the last go round.  My PT told me it was probably ligament damage where the rotator and bicept tie in.  I fought it for several years and finally had the surgery.  My PT was right. My tear was medium, but my ligament was shot.

Good news it that is can be fixed, and hopefully yours is a simple matter of some well chosen exercises.  Take care of it now though, or it will likely  get worse.  At least mine did.

Good luck.
Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven.

Offline gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 02:53:00 PM »
While standing, with your hand at your side, knuckles facing forward, raise your hand up laterally(to the side) with your arm straight and your thumb point pointing at the ground.  Any pain??  Now put your  knuckles against your back, right on your spine, above your belt as high up toward your shoulder blades that your can comfortably reach....try to lift your hand straight away from your spine..any pain??  Do these 2 test for both arms to compare the difference.  If there is pronounced pain, see a doctor for possible rotator cuff problems.

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
Please don't mess around, let it rest and get it checked out.  I strained my bicep tendon on my drawing shoulder, and it took 6 MONTHS to heal completely.  I couldn't shoot my 50# bow, but I could shoot my 35# without pain.  So I had to let it rest and wait it out.  Heal fast and good luck.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline Ray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
Indoor league starts in December,toughen up cupcake.    :smileystooges:

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
RAY, The CUPCAKE comment really hurt!
Gordydog,  Did the test, very little pain, have not shot in a number of days so I do not think I have a big problem. I love the info in the test, it made sense. I am going to shoot some tomorrow and try Moebows suggestion on where to put my bow shoulder, low and back. Thanx for test info.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
Heavier is not the answer. I think that will amplify your problem.

I had every injury possible to disrupt my shooting. Check out the last page on the "Argument for a heavy bow" post. I mention what I did for all my injuries.

I think the worse thing you could do at this point is increase draw weight.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©