3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: McAlester, okla. hunt  (Read 186 times)

Offline Sawbonedan

• Trad Bowhunter
McAlester, okla. hunt
« on: August 29, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
I have drawn out for the McAlester hunt, boggy area. Need to know if a climbing stand is practicle or do I need a strap on, or ground blind. Thanks

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: McAlester, okla. hunt
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »
There are some trees that you can use a climber in, I usually carry a strap on myself as it gives you more flexibility.  You can take two stands if you want, use the climber if it works and hang the other one in case you want to switch mid-day without the hassle.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 02:05:00 AM »
I like to take a ladder stand to Mcalester.  Lots of big cedar trees to hide in or behind and few straight hardwoods for a climber.

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
I hunted there a few years ago and it's not a bad deal but I had the flu and was miserable the entire time.   Plus, it rained the entire time I was there.    I was miserably sick, left the hunt early and I never reapplied to hunt again.

When I hunted McAlester I hauled in a Loc-on Limit with some screw in tree steps and eventually found a suitable tree.   I saw several deer, including one buck that I swear had incredibly short legs.   I felt like I was looking at a little person, but that's another story.    I also had a grand stand seat and watched a huge coyote stalk an unsuspecting doe.  Had I not reached for my bow, I would have been witness to a real spectacle.

Were I to go again I wouldn't use a tree stand but I would hunt instead from the ground using a Marc Anthony Ghillie.  You can never tell what the wind and weather will do there and a MAG is a truly incredible piece of equipment.   After I bought mine I have essentially stopped hunting from trees....where the deer have become accustomed to seeing hunters.

McAlester has a lot of rules....probably more than I have ever seen in any one place, and one of those rules if I remember correctly is no electronics...phone, GPS, etc., and you will probably have to team up with several people to ride in and out with.   You'll need to pack in your food, water and a compass, etc.

You're essentially dropped off in the dark before sunrise and picked up at or near the end of the day.   I seem to recall that there are land line  phone stations every mile or so and if you kill an animal you can call in and someone will come and get you.

It's a great place to hunt, no question about it, but it is certainly no frills.   Be sure you review the procedures, etc., so you aren't caught unaware of how things are done on the base.

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
Landman.

Sadly lots of rules but certainly there for a booming reason.

My Bow Hunters Ghillie is the way I would also go.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Grabwad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
Would an 8ft tripod work?  I got a couple for marsh hunting but if there arent many trees I can bring the tripod.

I never been and will be up there oct 12-14

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
Grabwad, when you hunt McAlester you are required to meet, along with everyone else, at the fire pit or whatever they call the thing and arrival time for all of the pre-game yak starts around 4 am.   At that time Bill Starry or his substitute will go over the rules, etc., again.

If you're hunting without a partner of your choice you'll be assigned to a group of guys you will ride in and out with for the duration of your hunt.   When I hunted I was the odd man in a group of three and everyone smoked in the truck and everyone was pretty irritable because of the nasty weather.    My group was not the least bit happy about having me in the truck with them because they were all buds and didn't want a stranger along.  I can understand that reaction.

Anyway, the terrain out there is rough and rocky in many places and hauling in a tripod or a ladder stand is probably OK but check the rules and don't expect anyone to help you with your setup.  You aren't permitted any time to roam your area and scout a place to hang your stand but if my memory is correct, you will set your stand the day before your hunt.   Basically you just go to your area, walk back into the woods, find a tree, set your stand and come back out to the road for a ride back in.

Remember that if you're out there and get hurt you are on your own and no one will know exactly where you are.   For that reason you need to travel lightly and hunt safely and it is for that reason that I highly recommend you pack your food, water, a first aid kit, a loud whistle, etc. and hunt with a Ghillie.

The reservation is covered with deer and coyotes and you won't need a tree stand to see plenty of deer, especially if you're hunting in the rut.    Although it is not publicized McAlester is also home to cougars.   I have worked in the area for years and I've seen cougars in Pittsburg County on more than one occasion.

If the weather is good you'll have a great time and you'll need to give us a write up on your experience.   Remember...no cameras.

Offline Grabwad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 11:02:00 PM »
I read somewhere we have about 5 hrs to scout the day before the hunt begins.  I'll bring my tripod up there just in case the "right" spot doesn't have a good tree

Offline AKP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
If you are lucky, you'll have five hours.  The first time I hunted there, we had 3 hours.  There are lots of giant deer in there.  I have hunted it three times.  Lots of rules.  It's enjoyable once you're out in the field.  Kind of hectic until then.  Don't worry about venturing too far from the roads.  It is not necessary.
LH Martin Hunter 45#@28
LH Chek-mate Hunter II 44#@28
LH Maddog Recurve 45#@28
LH Black Widow PCH 46#@28

Offline BRIARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
I would not take a tripod. You will want to be as mobile as possible. Take a climber that you can set up and down quickly.

Last time I went I had a friend hunt the same spot a week before me. He seen bucks at all hours of the day, I set a stand from daylight till sunset. I moved my stand to a tree 200 yards away that I had seen 3 bucks walk by.(saw the first one go by it at 11am the last at 3pm) The next morning I had a big 10 right under me. I failed to seal the deal.

Point is there is not much room in most of the vehicles. No decoys are allowed. Also multiple stands per 4-5 people can fill a truck up quick.

Look your area over using google maps, you will either drive or ride with someone on the scout evening, go to the spot you think is good, carry your stand and be prepared to put it up then. Get it up, then go look for other promising areas. Hunt the morning from your stand, if you do not see anything and have not had someone that hunted there the week before tell you it is hot, then get down and go find another spot for the evening.

With only 2.5 days you do not have time to sit in a unproductive spot. A ghilla suit may be a good ideal. But remember most of the guys will be stand hunting so try not to move in on them. You can talk with the guys you ride with to figure them out but there are always groups just down the road that end up close.

Thats all I got, I been down close to 10 times and will be again this november. Just follow the rules, hunt all day (stay in the woods and do not nap at the truck) and you will have a good hunt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©