3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: whitetail/mule deer?  (Read 198 times)

Offline pznuts

• Trad Bowhunter
whitetail/mule deer?
« on: August 30, 2012, 06:54:00 AM »
For you guys that live where you have both, are there ever crosses between the two deer? Are they even able to cross breed? Just wondering.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: whitetail/mule deer?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »
We have both, but I have never seen a deer that I could say was a hybrid. According to wildlife biologists, the cross is very rare in the wild, but possible.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
This is not scientific, but in west Texas, we have both whitetail and mule deer. I do think every once in a while, the two species interbreed.

Many years ago, I shot a large deer with the body size and hair coloring close to a mule deer, but with a whitetail gray colored rack. The buck deer was arrowed in Sanderson, Texas which is near the Mexican border.

In the photo below, the gray colored rack is on the left. The very dark colored rack on the right is a whitetail.

Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »
I like that bow rack!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »
I've seen cross breading in my area. I mostly see whitetail bucks chasing mule deer doe. Whitetails seem to be more aggressive.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
whitetail are more agressive breeders thats for sure. I haven't seen it, but hear it happens. We have both here in CO, but they seem to segregate pretty well. Problem is a hybrid is sterile just like a beefalo or a liger or any other hybrid so that could affect your herd if it started happening in your area. If you ever question one, i'd make it a shooter just to be sure.
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »
I used to live and hunt in SE Washington, and the Snake River breaks are full of whitetails and mule deer.  They seem to mingle quite a bit, you can hunt both species from the same blind on the same day, but I never saw one that looked like a hybrid.  I hear it's possible, but so is the existance of sasquatch....

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Iowabowhunter:
I like that bow rack!
It's a commercially made bow rack from Craft Wood Racks. They have lots of different models for us guys who are not into wood working....or have two left thumbs.    ;)  

http://www.craftwoodracks.com/Pages/default.aspx
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Gufunk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
We have what we call bench legs(because they have very short legs) which are cross between a muley and a blacktail.
Excel 21" w/Kaya Tomcats 40#
Excel 21" w/SF Axioms #35
Morrison Phoenix 19" w/ Max 1 #48
Toelke Lynx 66" LB 50#
Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. ~ Ben Franklin

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
We have overlap WT MD here and I've never seen one alive that I for sure could identify, but hybrids do occur here.  I read that the indicator is the size of the metatarsal gland.  Whitetails are really short, muleys are long (4"), and hybrids will be about 2".

Offline AKCrazyhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
when I lived in Wyoming and was buddies with the local Game Warden, every couple years he'd tell me about a hybrid that a hunter had killed.  It happens more often between muley and blacktails where they overlap because the muley and the blacktail are genetically more similar.  Offspring of the union are still sterile I believe.

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 01:59:00 AM »
We hae both whitetail and mule deer in central and western Nebraska.  I have taken a whitetail buck in northwest Nebraska that had the body shape and colorings of a whitetail, but a very gray rack which is much darker than whiteatials in the same area.  It has the smallest brow tines of any whitetail rack I have seen, and had black hairs on the edges of the tail.  I have had several people ask me if the rack was from a mule deer when they see it.  I am not sure if it happens often, but from what our state biologists tell me, it does happen.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline pznuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 07:02:00 AM »
Thanks guys.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©