3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nock end splits?  (Read 150 times)

Offline pznuts

• Trad Bowhunter
Nock end splits?
« on: August 30, 2012, 07:07:00 AM »
Earlier this summer I bought some Gold Tip 3555 Trad.s. When shooting if I missed or hit something hard in a target, I was getting nock end splits at times. I've have broken quite a few arrows at the point end but with this dozen all the breaks came at the nock end. I have to say that I did replace the Gold Tip nocks with Easton S nocks because the Gold Tips just wouldn't stay on my string. They went in nice and weren't excessively tight. What are your thoughts, should I have contacted Gold Tip to voice a complaint? Have any of you guys had this problem? I just bought another dozen for the season and if I have this problem again it may be time for a switch.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nock end splits?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
Go With WOOD!!  :thumbsup:   Ya Wont Be Sorry!!  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 09:03:00 AM »
Looks like you got one of the same batches of arrows that I also got, mine were so bad that old hard foam targets would crack the nock end of the arrow, pissed me off so bad I made the change to beaman ICS arrows. I went out and footed each end of my remaining GT 3555 with some 2117's and now they are rock proof , but I only use them when I go stump shooting now. Sorry about you loss and I hope you find a new arrow that will last.
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
You can use nock collars and that will stop.  I have only had some break when hitting hard stuff like you said.  Sometimes that leaf is just hanging out on top of a rock.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
rmorris is right 2117 makes great footings  and add 1/4 to the nock end and end the splits(unless you robinhood)
If the nocks are the old type Gold tip will replace them just contact them( I did, GT replaced all my old style nocks )
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
Wow i have not broke a gold tip arrow in 2 years foot them and their bomb proof.Improper cutting will also make the ends split use only high speed cutting wheel.And use 24 hour epoxy to put the arrows together.Little things make a big difference.You need 2117 to foot your 3555.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
I've had the Carbon Express arrows break like that in arrows with friction nocks. Even from shots into targets. If I had to buy after market nock collars and cut up aluminums to reinforce a shaft I'd just use something else. I've never had that failure on an Easton shaft, but I'm not sure its the manufacture that was more reliable or the quality control.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©