3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tick Repellent  (Read 546 times)

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Tick Repellent
« on: August 30, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
A Landowner just gave me access to 150 Acres to hunt this Fall!!  :thumbsup:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Passthru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tick Repellent
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
Look for something with permethrin.  Treat your clothes.  Do not apply to skin.  I find wearing tall rubber boots with treated pants tucked into them works well.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 09:18:00 AM »
x2 for permethrin (aka permanone).

Cabelas has a product called "sawyers" that works well.  You apply to your clothes prior to wearing them.  

Also, eat a bunch of garlic.  It works better than you'd expect...

Offline cedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »
Buy 8 oz bottle of permethrin at Tractor Supply.  Mix 1 oz with 16 to 20 oz of water and spray clothes, let dry before wearing them.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
In looking at the Sawyer products they say the pump spray lasts for 2 weeks but the Sawyers aerosol lasts for six weeks.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
Yes, the permanone is ideal for you.It kills ticks and chiggers. Pay attention to the application instructions as you don't want to sparay it directly on your skin, because this causes a an irritation for some people. Spray your pants both inside and out as well as socks and boots. If the vegetation is tall, you may want to treat your shirt as well.

We have serious tick issues in GA, but this product has really been effective. I still use an all natural lotion on my face and hands to repel mosquitoes.
Sam

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
Permanone works!
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mint:
In looking at the Sawyer products they say the pump spray lasts for 2 weeks but the Sawyers aerosol lasts for six weeks.
I have the pump spray and it says it lasts for 6 weeks and/or through 6 washings...  :dunno:

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
A friend of mine who hunts in some of the nastiest brush and swamps on our Eastern Shore uses the stuff from Tractor Supply or Southern States the same way that John49 mentioned.  He never has a problem with either ticks or chiggers and they're both really bad on that side of the Bay.  I usually hunt with him after the ticks have died off, so haven't used it myself, but I believe he knows of which he speaks.
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
Permanone can be had at tractor supply stores in bulk and mixed .05% perm and 95% water.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
Definitely treat your clothes with Permanone. I also use Deep Woods Off. I hunted a lot last year in some pretty "ticky" areas and didn't get a single one on me. My buddy, on the other hand, got several. He didn't prepare adequately.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
I just bought The Sawyer version. Nothing else has worked well this year. Going to treat my leafy suit and Muck boots. Tuck pants in boots and leafy over I hope that works til frost rolls around.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
Is this what you bought from Tractor Supply? Gordon's® Permethrin-10 Livestock & Premise Spray, 8 fl. oz.
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Traditionalist have more fun!

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 01:44:00 AM »
Permetherin is marketed under different brand names but is the active ingredient that repels ticks in all brands.  It should be applied to clothing and allowed to dry thoroughly before wearing.  It breaks down very quickly (20 to 30 minutes) when applied to skin.

It can be purchased in aerosol or pump spray bottles.  Be sure to follow instructions.

Below is a link on use of permethrin and DEET that offers more information:
 http://www.tickinfo.com/permethrin.htm

I and many coworkers have used permethrin in tick-rich environments in multiple west, midwest, and southeast US states with great success.  I have wokred at sites where finding 20 to 30 ticks on each field crew member two to three times a day was common until we started using permethrin products.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 12:47:00 AM »
Has anyone whom has used these repellents, experienced any adverse effects? Either on your skin, your gear, or in hunting situations. Do you feel that you are more likely to get busted, either winded or from crossing your trail, than if you don't use these products?
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline CHENRYIV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 03:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by John49:
Buy 8 oz bottle of permethrin at Tractor Supply.  Mix 1 oz with 16 to 20 oz of water and spray clothes, let dry before wearing them.
Will last you the whole season
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and he bends with his might that his >>--> may go swift and far.

Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 05:19:00 AM »
I buy permethrin by the quart and use it for a few years.  I might buy the gallon next time.

Pest control supply houses will have what you need in bulk.

Treat your dogs bedding for a flea, tick, mosquito, fly, etc. free house.  Treat your mattress and box spring to control bed bugs.  Treat the corners of your house inside and out to keep roaches away.

I hope this stuff doesnt cause cancer because if it does....
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline cedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
Recurvericky, you got the right stuff.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
I have used it for years, and I do have a slight skin irritation if I spray it directly on me. If I wait till my garments dry after spraying them, I have had no problems (and I use it liberally). I have not noticed any scent issues with it, but, in my opinion, if they smell the permethrin product, they will be smelling you anyway. I absolutely recommend that it be the product that you just don't leave home without.
Sam

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
Permethrin works on clothes, if you want to have a bit of extra protection for where your poisoned clothes don't protect you, neck hair etc., in bad situations something on the skin may be needed. My meat provider, organic rancher, uses oregano spray for himself and his livestock.  He swears by it, he has native prairie pastures and legume pastures that are always rather high and full of ticks. He says the ticks are there and yet they rarely get any ticks on themselves. The way I understand it, it is basically oregano tea. I am going to try it for next spring turkey hunting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©