3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tick Repellent  (Read 548 times)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tick Repellent
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tall Paul:
Bowless, the commercial stuff that adheres to fabric is oderless.  Its the stuff thats formulated for vegetation and animals that will have an odor.
Apparently its the solvent or carrier medium that is different...

There is a version one of the big sites that is sold by only ONE STORE in the country that is supposedly formulated for people and clothing...but it's rather expensive and time consuming in you bag clothes and set them and leave them damp in the bag for 2 hrs... aaayyye.

Zradix,

I wear those head coverings with the eyes cut out...I spray them too, wear them and a hat... deer freak out at our /my white skin in the trees!

Consequently, with camo gloves, head face mask, hat, jacket and pants... I have no untreated exposed skin... cept when scouting...

And yeah..if you walk through overhanging brush or pines, you might have them suckers fall on you, but as stated, they hang in brush... and YES, the wee ones we call 'seed ticks" and are of the virulent Deer Tick variety I'm told which carry lyme the most...

Skeeters care W. Nile virus, ticks carry so many different diseases, chiggers make you nuts... (er)and who knows what else out there that bites, stings or sucks blood will do to us now...

I'm back to using Sawyers... but I won't be in the woods without permanone on my clothes.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
I bought permithrin 10% product from a pet supply place online. It has a very mild, maybe castor oil smell.
I cut it to 0.5% with water and add a little primos earth Scent spray to it, figure I am killing two birds with one stone.
I am sure the stuff in the spray can has an ingredient to help it stick to fabric but I have had no problems with my home made spray and have never had a tick, chigger and barely a mosquito get me.
I spray my clothes the night before including head wrap/hat, gloves,face mask  and socks.

I have a Thermocell but I rarely use it except in the worst conditions, I think the clothing treatment keeps them away.

Offline Scott S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »
I don't know how safe it is, but I have heard of wearing a dog flea/tick collar over each pants cuff/boot top.
"The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered." Gen 9:2

Offline Chinook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
So what is the correct ratio of water to Permethrin-10 to get it to 0.5%?  I have some that is made by PBI/Gordan company and it says its for livestock and premise spray.  It smells like Frankwright's does.  (A mild castor oil smell.)  Is 20 oz of water to 1 oz of Permethrin-10 correct?  Thanks
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©