3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer on acorns already......  (Read 359 times)

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
Deer on acorns already......
« on: August 30, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
I moved a game camera to an isolated White Oak that is dropping ripened and unripened acorns yesterday.

I made a quick trip past the camera today and see that the deer are working these acorns over.

Earliest that I can recall.   This was in Indiana.

Best regards, Skychief.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer on acorns already......
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
we have a little activity on white oaks here but it looks more like some early not ripe acorns blown off by wind. Couple more weeks shoudl start a real feed here. I did notice persimmons here look ready about 3 weeks early for my spots.
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Seeing the same thing here in n.c. , not many falling but those that are falling are being eat up
" Live long and prosper "

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
I caught several deer feeding on acorns under a big oak last weekend!

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
They are raining down here on the Farm.....EVERYWHERE!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
We have had a lot of rain lately (I ain't fussin!) and when I was hanging a new stand yesterday I wS surprised to see green acorns on the ground. Everyone I checked was rotten.  

This late summer rain is something new for me as a bowhunter.  I hope the "good acorns" will drop later in the season.....
   :campfire:
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
Ya there droppin fast here. Two weeks early to my way of thinkin. 15 days before season opens.
Can't wait!!!!
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
Our white oaks didn't do anything this year, but the burs are loaded and dropping hard.
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
we have a bunch of sawtooth's around the house and Isaac just put a bunch of them on the ground. I dont know if theres any left on the tree or not.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
Noticed some of the burr oaks are dropping acorns that are all covering and no acorn inside...

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »
Its insane here in NC. Bucks without velvet, even have a buck mounting a doe..NO JOKE. Blows my mind.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »
The acorns have been dropping here for about a week.  They all seem to be good.  Deer quit coming to the fruit trees and fields all together. Last sunday evening I saw well over 150 deer in the fields while riding around looking for them. I noticed saturday while scouting, that the white oaks were dropping in the mountains pretty good.  I drove the same route Monday evening that I saw the deer on and saw less than 20.  I only saw 5 tonight in the fields.

Going to be some good woods hunting here.  Deer are scattered and seeing a bunch from the stand probably isn't going to happen as the crop is thick and the deer do not have to move much to fill their bellies.  Good luck to all.   God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 12:35:00 AM »
We got persimmons on the ground here. They are not being blown out but falling ripe enough that the bust when they hit the ground. Should be good.RC

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 07:54:00 AM »
Some of our red oaks are dropping acorns.  Where I hunt, the size of the acorns are pretty tiny.  Like the size of a pencil eraser.  Must be the dry weather?
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »
Yep Skychief, I found a chinkapin tree here the other day that looks like you had run a roto tiller under it with caps and lots of poop everywhere. Go find the hot trees guys.

Hung a stand for our opening day Tomorrow and now we are having a hurricane. Have been in a drought all summer and now this.  :dunno:
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline JO_EZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
I was surprised to find plenty of healthy acorns while scouting up north last weekend. The apples didn't survive the funky spring, but the acorns are doing fine up here.
I started shooting a longbow because I thought it would simplify things and it did... now I simply need to get a whole lot closer to hit anything.

Work'n when I have to, fish'n when I can...

Offline Wallee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
I need to get a game cam up on my field, seen plenty of tracks on my small plot but acorns still havent dropped here in north ms.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
I recently noticed few deer sightings in bean fields. I assumed acorns were the culprit so I went out with a trail camera in search of some. I slowly circled around a known bedding thicket and located two huge white oaks dropping acorns. Surprisingly it did not look like they were being utilized very much. Also the acorns were hitting the ground without their caps on them. I opened one of the nuts and they seemed fine. I reasoned that they had just begun falling and that not all of the deer in the area had caught on to them. I placed my camera there to verify. Does anyone know what causes acorns to fall without their caps?  I am wondering if it is drought related.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
Most "ripe" acorns around here fall without the caps.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
Thanks RC. That makes sense to me. The nuts seemed fine to me. I tasted a few. They literally just started falling right before I scouted the area. I'm looking for a buck I lost track of. These oaks are the closet ones dropping near where I believe is his main sanctuary. Time will tell!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©