3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow for my wife and daughter  (Read 118 times)

Offline twistedlim

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow for my wife and daughter
« on: August 31, 2012, 07:23:00 AM »
I would like to pick a bow for my wife and daughter to shoot.  I have pretty much settled on a Great Northern Fieldbow for its simplicity, shootability, and price.  The caveat is what pound range to get.  I know I should take them out to someplace to get them both to shoot and see what works best but in all honesty that will never happen.  I will just be lucky to get them shooting at all even though they have finally expressed a slight interest in archery (not hunting).  
My daughter is 5'1 105 lbs and my wife is 5'2 and about 115.  Neither of them are what you would consider body builder strong but they both run and do pilates(sp) and are in very good physical shape.  Neither will shy away from good hard physical work.

I am figuring their draw length would be in the 23" to 24" range based on Great Northern's chart.  That would mean subracting about 12- 15 lbs from any standard poundage at 28". A 35lb longbow at 28 inches would then be about 20 lbs at their draw all things considered.  Am I on track here?  Anybody else with females in the same size range who shoot have any suggestions.  I do not want to overbow them and hunting right now is not an issue so I want something they can be comfortable shooting and will not fight them on their learning curve.

Is this a long enough first post?  :)

Thanks in advance,
Rich aka twistedlim

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow for my wife and daughter
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
Welcome, I think you are right on target with the weight.
I'm always surprised at weight boys or girls find too heavy.
20 to 25 max at their draw would work well.

If you get light weight skinny arrows they will fly fast enough to impress them.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow for my wife and daughter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
My 3 kids have been shooting 35#@28" bows for several years now. None of them draw more than 24" or 25" so the poundage has been a great fit for many years for them. I put much thought into this before I settled on the 35# bows and it turned out great.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©