3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Made a mistake: Shot a Whip.  (Read 346 times)

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
Made a mistake: Shot a Whip.
« on: August 31, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
Alright... I know, the season here opens in two weeks.  I have no business shooting anything other than my Tall Tines recurve that I got dialed in with properly spined arrows freshly refletched, footed and ready to go.  On Monday I traded "Biathalonman" my Toelke Chinook recurve for a Whip longbow.  Got the chance to shoot it last night all the while telling myself, "Don't do it, too close to the season, you're shooting good right now, don't start messing with things".
Well son of a gun, that bow can shoot!  I'd heard/read all the hype about how quiet it is, naturally points, etc.  In my opinion, it's all true.  I scattered the first few arrows (not spined at all for it and really tight nocks).  But after about 15 shots, the arrows just started to fall right where I was looking.  Good groups at 20 yards and 15 and under... money.
Told my brother he can shoot the TT curve this season if he wants (best recurve I've shot BTW), I just have to admit, I'm a longbow guy and this Whip helped remind me why.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Made a mistake: Shot a Whip.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »
It will change your life man!  Good luck this season!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
The Whip is a FINE bow,
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
:readit:       :campfire:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »
Glad you like her...I'm the opposite, a recurve man.  Nothing better then a chinook as far as I'm concerned, but those whips are nice!

Offline yankeevol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
What are the specs on your whip? I've got one that is 45@28, 62" long. Very quick; very quiet. Two weeks is plenty of time. Get her dialed in and go get 'em.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
2 weeks. My goodness you have plenty of time. Make the switch.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »
As much as I love shooting other bows, I always come home to my Whip. Great bows!

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
I made the mistake last weekend of shooting TxAg's whip at the Rod Jenkin's clinic as I sold mine about a year ago.  Now I gotta itch that needs scratchin'.      :knothead:
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
I have over twenty of the top bows in the world, my whip is my favorite.
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Green:
I made the mistake last weekend of shooting TxAg's whip at the Rod Jenkin's clinic as I sold mine about a year ago.  Now I gotta itch that needs scratchin'.       :knothead:  
The funny thing is, I contacted Bob this week about making a visit to his ship. After shooting your bow, I have an itch to scratch, too! He said he'd make the grip however I like.

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
yep... amazing bows.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
I have owned a number of the standard Whips and have recently gone over to the Classic Whip. I draw 29" and the 62" classic Whips with the H.S. limb design are the single finest D/R longbows I have ever shot. If they are not perfect they are about as close as you can get.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
I have a Whip HS that is a 62 inch and 42 lbs at 28 inches that will be coming up for sale in the near future. Why you may ask?  So I can get another at 48 lbs.  these are the best shooters that I have shot to this date...period.

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
Never a mistake to shoot a WHIP !!!!
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
Yankee, my new to me whip is 62" 50@28, I draw a solid 29" so about 53lbs I'm guessing.  
TJ,  I know that you sometimes switch back and forth between shooting 3 under and split finger.  I was shooting the TT 3 under, but this whip is just so quiet shooting split... just a natural point draw and release that I'm thinking about my typical 12-15 yard shot and it just feels right.
One of the rules I try to live by is "Dance with the girl you brought to the party".  Yeah, gonna have to break that rule a little bit this season!
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 06:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by TxAg:

Originally posted by Green:
I made the mistake last weekend of shooting TxAg's whip at the Rod Jenkin's clinic as I sold mine about a year ago.  Now I gotta itch that needs scratchin'.        :knothead:  
The funny thing is, I contacted Bob this week about making a visit to his ship. After shooting your bow, I have an itch to scratch, too! He said he'd make the grip however I like. [/b]
I wish that I had taken my other BRSR Jeff...it has a great grip.  The one that I had at the clinic has a very small grip and was a bow I traded for.  Take your tab/glove and a few arrows....you'll have a good visit with Bob/Zach.     :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 06:15:00 AM »
Currently shooting Dans classic whip in 66" about 60-61# at my 29.5-30 draw. Quiet for sure and a butter smooth pull all the way back not to mention pretty fast shooter. Just started shooting it quiver free and really appreciate its lightness and perfect balance.  You are going to love it, congrats!
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline Petrovic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
Yeah I also made the mistake of shooting my whip after it was sitting in the cupboard.  As a result I had to order a new one at my current poundage. They are addictive and so so good. It is still the only trad bow i have shot a robin hood with.

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
Hey, Petrovic. If you want that old Whip to get a proper burial here in its mother land....I can give you an address to send it to.  Really, it's the right thing to do!!! Let it come home!!   :biglaugh:
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©