3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: VPA-one tough boradhead  (Read 323 times)

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
VPA-one tough boradhead
« on: August 31, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
Well, I've been tuning some arrows for a 300 grain head and got things shooting pretty nice,tonight I put on a VPA head and due to being tired I pulled the shot.  Wouldn't you know it I bounced it off a tree root and because I shoot with a 10foot brick wall as a backstop I knew my brand new arrowhead was going to get ruined.  I looked for it in the bushes behind the butt and couldn't find it for quite awhile, finally I looked up and there it was-stuck in the brick wall.  I pulled it out and took it to the picknic table and gave it a spin and the darned thing spun true and is barely scratched.

Ray-thank you for a great product!!

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: VPA-one tough boradhead
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
Yes, great heads! Very tough!

I shot under a bull elk last season, and the 160 gr. VPA stuck in a rock.  :thumbsup:  and neither was the elk  :(
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »
Not trying to take away from Ray (VPA distributor), but we should give credit where credit is due. Jeff Miller (TradGang handle "boomerang") is the man who designs and creates the VPA broadheads. He has, in my mind, created a product that stands above the rest. Don't get me wrong, Ray has done a fantastic job getting VPA heads into the hands of people around the world, but I think a lot of people overlook Jeff who is owner/designer of VPA.
-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Offline giff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »
I got some to try this year. havent killed anything yet but they shoot good.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
great heads and great customer service. Lot of compound guys shooting them as well. I got some 125s for  wheel bow. and 300's for my recurve.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
I knocked a massive hole in a black bear this spring with a 160 grain VPA. He only went 4 yards.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
I think the strength comes mostly from the shank which is threaded only enough to hold the head on the shaft. this is something other makers could learn from. The one piece construction is also a plus. Cant wait to punch a lung with mine!

Offline rayzor150

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
Ditto to Breakfast Boy.  Although I have had design input on a few of the models Jeff's the man who figures it all out and make's it happen....there a bit more than distribution going on here though.....like thousands of hours worth.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
I love broadheads! All sizes and shapes of pointy goodness. I love shooting and testing and even sharpening them.

That said If I could have only one type of head for the rest of my life it would be a VPA!   :thumbsup:
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
I shot my first buck with a VPA 175 gr head last fall. Smashed right into the offside shoulder, breaking it. No damage to the head at all...
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
Here is a buck I killed last year with a 47# longbow and 570 grain arrow with a 3 blade VPA. Complete pass-thru at 12 yards. Buck field dressed about 95#.
approp. 140 fps.I like it because I can sharpen it easy with a fine smooth file. Ken
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
I have some VPA's heading my way. What files are you guys using on them? The widest I can find is 1-1/8" single cut.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
i got the 2 blades last week and got them razor sharp with the kme. They fly like my field points.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by magnus:
I have some VPA's heading my way. What files are you guys using on them? The widest I can find is 1-1/8" single cut.
This one works great. I got it at Lowes.  Stroke the coarse, then the fine, then a ceramic stick....very sharp!

http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-DCS4-COARSE-Diamond-Sharpening/dp/B00009YV6L/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1347162194&sr=8-5&keywords=Dimond+hone

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
Gotta love those VPA's!
James Kerr

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
Took a nice bull tonight with a 160 3 blade VPA, been using them for 3 years now. Arrow weight 685, profuse blood trail.  Great head only hope I can find it in the morning. (The broadhead, bulls already worked up waiting on the mules.)

Offline outbackbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Possum Head:
I think the strength comes mostly from the shank which is threaded only enough to hold the head on the shaft. this is something other makers could learn from. The one piece construction is also a plus. Cant wait to punch a lung with mine!
I was told once, by a work mate who was studying for an engineering degree, that a threaded section on a bolt needs to be only as long as the bolts diameter as past that, there is no advantage as far as strength goes in having more threaded length.

The point I am trying to make, is that even as I can see how the short thread length on the VPA does not hurt their strength........I don't understand why you believe it would make them stronger than normal.

Being machined and quality steel would be more to the point as far as being extremely well made and strong.

I can see a possible disadvantage, in that a shorter thread, while it may not suffer any lack of strength, is probably more likely to come loose unless nipped up tight.

Like anything there are pros and cons, but I still dont understand how the short thread section can possibly make them any stronger, as the plain part of the shank is still the same length as all other broadhead types, if it was not, it would not fit into the arrow inserts.
Three things you cant take back, time past, harsh words and a well sped arrow

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
wow that buck was only 95lbs.
"Us vs Them"

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 03:52:00 PM »
Outback I have to agree with you, I don't think less material is ever stronger on things, lighter yes but not stronger.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©