3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Magnus Stinger 125 gr, flying much differently than field tips...tips???  (Read 460 times)

Offline BassBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Hello,

I started shooting my 125 gr. Magnus Stinger 4 blade out of my Dalaa 50lb 62in recurve. They are definitely flying in an odd manner. All over the place.

I don't know if I have the patience to tinker with them. Does anybody have tips for a newbie like me?

Any suggestions for "fly like field point" broadhead. I know there is no such thing, but my experiences with the stingers the past few days have been pretty disheartening.

Thanks!

Mike
Toelke Classic Whip 48# @ 28"
Big Jim Buffalo 51# @ 29".

Offline RUTANDSTRUT

• Trad Bowhunter
bare shaft tune your bow.  if the bow is not tuned to that head weight, you can never expect any broadhead of the same weight to fly straight.

Offline BassBow

• Trad Bowhunter
I have bare shaft tuned to the 125 gr heads. It sounds like I should start from scratch? Thanks!

Offline BassBow

• Trad Bowhunter
BTW, my field points hit what I want them to. The flight of the arrow seems good. At 15 yds. group very well with the field points, then try shooting the stingers and the go wherever they please it seems.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Unless you have some one else to set up your bow you are going to have to be patient and tinker.  I've shot stingers for years and they're good flying heads something has to be off on your tuning.  Not trying to sound rough here but, if your BH's are all over the place it could also be you.  My experience with tuning is that even when the bow is not tuned properly there will be some sort of consistency in impact area.  Ex. not hitting where I want them to but all hitting low and left.  Take your time and enjoy the tinkering its all part of it.   :thumbsup:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Lots of good books out there on tuning and a ton of info on here just do a search.  A lot of guys on here with a ton of knowledge to help, but there are so many variables it is hard to get a handle on with out being hands on. But should be able to get the car pointed down the road.  Good luck Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
did you spin the stingers to prove they are "true" mounted correctly

a broadhead will hit as accurately as a target head of equal weight IF the arrow is bare shaft tuned and the broadheads are mounted correctly
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline BassBow

• Trad Bowhunter
No offense taken at all. I appreciate your help! I'll get out back and try a bit more tuning.

Thanks for the advice fellas!

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Mike throw us some more info.  Shafts, fletching, draw length, etc. (as much as you can) We can start painting a picture here.  Joe

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
If you are getting good arrow flight with 125 grain field tips then rest assured your tunning is in the ball park. You really see how well your shafts are tuned when the broadheads go on.

I would go up in weight and try a 145 grain head, and if you could afford it have a 175 grain on hand just in case.
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
Re: Magnus Stinger 125 gr, flying much differently than field tips...tips???
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
Spin your arrows and make very sure they are perfect with no wobble at all and they will fly great.
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
I'm not sure I suspect the bows tune. I'd be inclined to think you don't have enough fletch or at least not enough spiral on that fletch.

I think you'd have to work at making a Stinger fly badly and if you can't get one to fly well you probably won't have much luck with another brand or style.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline BassBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the help!

Here are my specs:

50# 62" Dalaa Recurve.
Traditional Only 500's cut to 29.5".
Draw Length 28"
125 gr. Tips w/ 5 inch shield cut feathers glued by a JoJan.
125 gr. Stingers. Mounted well. Spinning true.

I have been shooting instinctively, but recently started the gap 3 under method, which has been working well.

I think I am going to get up early and do some bare shafting. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
I find that about a third of my stingers will not spin true and will not fly right.

John

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
I've never shot stingers before, but the first time I shot anything other than 3 blades was a 100gr carbon express xt 4 blade on a compound a couple of years ago.  I found that they shot all over the place at first.  I did a little tinkering and got them all set up where the main blade was indexed straight up and down on all of them and they started hitting right where my field points hit.  Any time I had them turned either at an angle or flat sidways, they tended to be off 4-6 inches.  I don't know if this is common with 2/4 blades, but I've always indexed my blades up and down since then and haven't had any problems.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
I had a few that needed the main blade re-centered. They flew fine after that.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 11:34:00 PM »
Slide a 50, 75, and 100 grain brass inserts in those shafts, then add the stinger and see what you get tuning-wise.  I'm thinking you're too dynamically stiff.    :)

Don't give up...I'm close to your set up and use 100 grain brass with my 125 Stingers.
CoilSpring

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 02:19:00 AM »
I have had exceptional results with stingers! It's definately not the broadheads. If you can't get them to fly, it's likely you won't be able to achieve satisfactory results with any other BH. Even with canted blades, or less than perfect alignment, I've been able to achieve consistent and accurate flight with these heads. Even out of my compound at much higher speeds.
 I shoot my super shrew long bow (51@28) with GT 35/55 (.500 spine) @ 29 3/8" with 300g up front at 27.5" draw length. I can shoot any broadhead in that weight range that I've tried. You are probably too stiff, causing inconsistancie and/or shelf/ riser contact. May also be a brace height issue.Good luck.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 02:20:00 AM »
I have had exceptional results with stingers! It's definately not the broadheads. If you can't get them to fly, it's likely you won't be able to achieve satisfactory results with any other BH. Even with canted blades, or less than perfect alignment, I've been able to achieve consistent and accurate flight with these heads. Even out of my compound at much higher speeds.
 I shoot my super shrew long bow (51@28) with GT 35/55 (.500 spine) @ 29 3/8" with 300g up front at 27.5" draw length. I can shoot any broadhead in that weight range that I've tried. You are probably too stiff, causing inconsistancie and/or shelf/ riser contact. May also be a brace height issue.Good luck.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 02:21:00 AM »
Sorry, browser glitch!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©