3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chronic Tinkerer...  (Read 145 times)

Offline DaddyPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
Chronic Tinkerer...
« on: September 01, 2012, 07:26:00 AM »
Transitioning to traditional archery after 30+ years of shooting compounds, tuning them and getting a degree in "Tinkerism" hasn't been easy.  The desire to tinker is still strong, so I've been playing around with different string silencers on my Super Kodiak for no other reason than I MUST tinker.

I've tried beaver fur and while it worked sufficiently I just never really liked the look of fur on my bow, I guess I'm non traditionally, traditional.  Next was "String Factors" from X Factor archery.  Hard little rubber deals that go in the string.  Bow was at least twice as loud with them as it was with beaver fur.  They do come with a lifetime guarantee though.  SCORE!

This morning, thanks to my insomnia, I've been doing lots of reading on here about silencer materials.  I had some yard on hand and was about to make some puffs when I saw a post about using old bowstring material as silencers.  Dug out an old compound string, cut up four, 4" pieces, still waxed from when they were in use.  I placed two on either end, 10.5"s from the loops.  WOW, super quiet on the shot and really took out some twang too.  

They're starting to unravel and puff out which may increase their effectiveness, time will tell.  Don't look the coolest but seem to be working nicely at what I want them to do.  Thanks for putting up with my rambling, time for more coffee...

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chronic Tinkerer...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
Never heard of that before, whatever works.   :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
Now you need to tinker with the location on the string and wrap the last few inches with yarn to eliminate string slap on the limb.

Offline DaddyPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
Cut them into two, 2" pieces and inserted at 10.5 and 13 inches from loop ends.  Even quieter I think, based on just what I hear when I shoot.  I wrapped the string with yarn once before and didn't notice a big difference but may try it again.  I have little fuzzy side Velcro on the limbs where the string contacts it.

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
Defiantly a way to recycle used bowstrings.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline DaddyPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gooserbat:
Defiantly a way to recycle used bowstrings.
My Spousal Unit came outside to do some laundry, cause that's what I have her do on Saturdays.  Anyhoo, I was shooting in the backyard and she stated, "Your bow seems more quiet, did you do something to it?"  

I can't believe how much of a difference 8 inches of recycled bowstring made in the level of noise in my Super K.  Next Saturday at this time I hope to have run a VPA through something.

Offline drphoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
just took mine off today, and the noise level has gone up alot, i used serving to make mine. better make some more before I get tuning again.
Only dead fish go with the flow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©