3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The bow I would like back..."Bow RECOVERY THREAD" (post yours too)  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
The bow I would like back..."Bow RECOVERY THREAD" (post yours too)
« on: September 02, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »
YEARS AGO>..maybe 12-14...I had a sentman competition longbow that had an arrow drawn on the belly of the upper limb. The riser was maple in the longer section, a stripe of wenge (I think it was), and then bubinga on the shorter moon section (palm side of the grip). I really don't remember what the limb core was...but it was clear glass on both the back and the belly.

If anyone knows where that bow is today, I would like to find it.

Now that was one I shouldn't have sold. Describe yours. Maybe somoene will see it in this post.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline Ceb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The bow I would like back..."Bow RECOVERY THREAD" (post yours too)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
Easy, my type I Bear A-Handle wood takedown. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
My original green stripe Bear takedown I bought new from Lenny Cardinale in the '80s.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Walker:
Lee, I had a Sentman Competition longbow from the same era that I'd buy back as well.......they were great bows!
Mine was a lefty-66" and 62#(I think).....it had a riser of bubinga in the long section and wenge on the short section with black glass on the back and clear on the belly with black locust limb cores.

Good luck on your search...........
I still have mine and you're right it's a great bow.The carbon back is what made them the "competition " bow.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
The bow I'd like back is my little Elburg Mite. Osage limbs under clear glass with a purple heart riser and tips,2 piece takedown.Sold it years ago,   :knothead:

Offline mountain lion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »
My 56" Blackwidow recurve made out of all Osage. Hind sight is 20-20 huh! Sweet shooting little bow
Wild Horse Creek  kestrel 60" 56#@28
Black Widow KB X 58" 51@28"
Black Widow PSA lll 60" 52@28"

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
2Years ago I sold a 62@28 bush bow it was a late 80's bow what Jerry told me should have never sold her now she resides in Arkansas

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
Funny, I was thinking about this about 2 weeks ago.  I had a cameleon Shrew Classic Hunter about 6 years ago that was absolutely stunning.  I really didn't know what I was doing back then and order it with specs that didn't match me.  I sold it and it felt like I was burying my dog when I was packaging it up!  I regretting selling it until 2 weeks ago when my new Classic Hunter arrived.  Equally as nice looking and the specs on this one fit me perfectly.  I guess I can now forgive myself for selling that first Shrew.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »
Jim Johnson, Legend Longbow, 62" 50#@28". Sold it about 10 or 11 years ago and now I am regretting it.

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Goshawkin:

Lee, I had a Sentman Competition longbow from the same era that I'd buy back as well.......they were great bows!
Mine was a lefty-66" and 62#(I think).....it had a riser of bubinga in the long section and wenge on the short section with black glass on the back and clear on the belly with black locust limb cores.

I still have mine and you're right it's a great bow.The carbon back is what made them the "competition " bow. [/b]
Gary didn't put carbon on the exterior back...but covered it with black glass...but upon special request he would use carbon with a lamintion over it...and therefore use clear glass on those bows on both back and belly. Such bows ALSO had the "competition" name due to the use of carbon. I imagine I bought and sold about 50 of his bows over the years. He may not have done this for many, but I know he did such for us.
Lee

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
Additionally, with the various models that he had...he had "Competitor Deluxe," "Competition Deluxe," etc... and names changed over the years with different things meaning different things within the slightly different models.

Just some that I remember would be...

Competitor, Competitor deluxe (laminated riser I believe), Competition, Competition Deluxe, Carbon Competition, Chief, Moosejaw Elite, Mountain Bow, 5th Deminsion, Razorback, Rogue, Strike Force, Recon,...but I am sure there were others as well. I think he had one called "classic" but I can't swear to that...and he is currently making one called the Icon.

The bow I often wonder about was one that Sara drew an arrow on the belly. It was a plain, but very nice bow.
Lee

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
My father sold his RH Bear Alaskan with nice soft mint green fiberglass at a yardsale while I was away in the USAF back in the 80s. 45#

I'd love to find one in LH.

I'd rather have his back though.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
Early 90s Bighorn. Brown Ramwood riser with black glass, 62" on a 17" riser.

Offline Mike Theis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
Martin Hunter - Blonde Maple Riser, Black Glass, 70# - Boy could that bow launch an arrow. Sold it to somebody in Maryland.
If man were to know everything in advance, there would be no such thing as adventure!

Offline FXJr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 02:40:00 PM »
A H.H. reverse handle locator grip Big Five,black glass. According to Craig it was built in the 70's. I got my first rabbit wit it.
  Frank X.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
The bow that I'd most like to have back is a Malibu Archery "Panther". It was a semi-recurve 40# bow that was made of all bamboo. I believe that it was only sold during a brief period of about 1953-1954. That little bow was lightweight and had very good cast. On the interior laminates it used edge grain and flat grain to maximize the performance. As an eleven year old that was my daily companion.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Keep It Simple Archery:

Originally posted by Goshawkin:

I still have mine and you're right it's a great bow.The carbon back is what made them the "competition " bow. [/b]
Gary didn't put carbon on the exterior back...but covered it with black glass...but upon special request he would use carbon with a lamintion over it...and therefore use clear glass on those bows on both back and belly. Such bows ALSO had the "competition" name due to the use of carbon. I imagine I bought and sold about 50 of his bows over the years. He may not have done this for many, but I know he did such for us. [/b]
You are correct. I should have said "black glass AND carbon"
Here's a pic of the letter that came with Gary's brochure in '98. On the top he says" All my bows are made on the same basic form.Therefore I have one model only.The following are descriptions of the variations of that model."

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
My first recurve - it was/is a Black Widow MAV (pre phenolic and CNC), might of even been the first year the iron wood came out.  My Dad bought it for me and he's no longer here.  It's also the only bow I've even had my name put on, "William Meyer".
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
Man, I wouldn't give up my Sentman Moosejaw for anything in the world. What my children do with it after I'm gone doesn't matter, but for now it is going nowhere.

Online BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
I had a Sentman for a short time years ago myself. Killed my only hog with it. I wish I had 4 back that come to mind.  
Jim Johnson longbow, 64" and 56@28, cocobolo and red elm
Lonetree Longbow. 62" and 54@28 I think
Fredericks Longbow 62"  59@28
Green Mountain Longbow  66"  67@28 (first trad kill with it)
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©