3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Just a bear / Got my bear back  (Read 897 times)

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Just a bear / Got my bear back
« on: September 02, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
Day 3, ontario bear hunt: I sat in my stand patiently, pondering the events leading to my being here. I signed up for this hunt with a bunch of my fellow United Bowhunters of Missouri buddies back in Feb when this hunt was auctioned at our annual banquet. Since that time I almost cancelled twice due to my youngest son having to have 2 stents put in his heart, and then surgery for me on my carotid artery to clean out blockage 4 weeks before the hunt. 2 days before I was due to leave, my next youngest son was tested and it was thought he had potential problems with his heart. He convinced me to go ahead and go ahead with the hunt. You can imagine the relief when I got the news that everything was great with him before we hit the Canadian border. Wait, there's a bear.

My first sighting on this trip. I had killed a couple average bears a few years before so told myself to hold out for something better. It was hard to resist reaching for my bow, but could tell this was about a 150# bear at the most. He didn't stay around long, acting a bit nervous and looking around a lot.
The first 2 evenings I sat a different spot and hadn't seen anything. Tonite would be fun with sightings of 3 bears.

The next day I went out and sat for 3 hours in the morning but didn't see anything. After lunch at the cabin, I heade back out the evening hunt wondering what I would see. Little did I know what to expect.
About 5 that eveing the biggest of the bear I had seen before came in very slowly and cautious. He only stayed for 9 minutes and took off.

Now all these smaller bears would really take their time coming in as I could see them back in the woods standing and circling for quite some time.
With 25 minutes of shooting time left, I heard a couple twigs break and a bear just walked in like he owned the place. He did! There was no question of even thinking" Is he big enough". He walks in, sniffs the barrel, walks off about 10 feet, pauses there for about 10 seconds and walks off into the brush. My heart is hammering in my chest from this encounter. " Is he coming back?  Will I run out of light?" These are the questions going thru my head. About 5 minutes goes by and I hear a branch break behind me. Now the previous evening, the smaller bears would circle like this, so I had an idea of where he might show up next. There was a hill sloping up to my left and I could see there easily because it was a rocky glade type opening. I saw bears cross there 4 times the night before.
There he is! Just standing there looking. Here he comes. He walks down into the woods angling for the bait. He walks right down into the opening and turns broadside behind the barrel. The barrel was on its side from the little one knocking it over earlier. The bow comes back and I watch the white splices on my feathers disappear into solid black. Is the shot good enough? I thought it was, but maybe a hair low. He crashes off and then about 30 seconds later I hear another crash back in the woods. I started to get my gear together as it is getting dark rapidly. Just get my gear on and hear a moan from where I heard the last crash. Is that what I think it is?
 I got down and walked back to the truck, then it hit me. I hadn't been nervous before the shot cause I was so worried about running out of light.
Back at the cabin, when anybody walks in in the evening, everyone looks at you and says "Well".
I said I just shot a big $%#*&()^$@#@.  
Everyone wants to go on the trail. 35 yds, there he is. I can't believe the size of him and neither can anyone else.

This brute weighed in at 410# on a scale we double checked.
And my shot I was second guessing was pretty good.

Later the outfitter gave my this trailcam picturs from that bait.

This was some kind of ending for a hunt that almost didn't happen. Never did I even dream of a bear this size. I was hoping for a bear of maybe 220# - 250#, which I would have been exceedingly happy with.
9 of 10 hunters took bears on this hunt and the 10th guy had his chances. All traditional shooters and a great bunch of guys.
 Here is a 180# bear.

PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just a bear / Got my bear back
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
Awesome!  All things happen for a reason.

Spectacular story and photos!

Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
Nice Bear!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline DaddyPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
Very nice read sir!

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
Daniel  :wavey:  Congrats on your AWESOMEEEEE bear   :clapper:   Best of health for you and your sons  :pray:

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
OH boy that would be so scary!! i think i would have to check my pants   :scared:    :laughing:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
Good Bear!  Congrats. Glad to hear all your family are doing good.
Jeff, just be sure to carry an extra pair of your "DEPENDS"!
Johnny/JAG
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 04:51:00 PM »
Glad to hear all is well for your family. That is an excellent bear! What outfitter were you guys hunting with if you don't mind saying?

God Bless,
Charlie

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  
Nice bear !
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »
Great story and bear, congrats!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
congratts!  a really nice bear!  :thumbsup:

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
Now thats a beast and a half!
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 05:51:00 PM »
Outstanding......congratulations.   :clapper:  

God. Bless,       Pierre
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 05:51:00 PM »
Congrats man, great story and great bear!
samuel koger

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
Well done, super bear   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
Nice bear, Dan! He's a brute! I remember eating some of your cougar a while back at Flatrock. When do I get a bear steak?   :)
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
Outstanding Dan. Congrats. RC

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :clapper:    :clapper:  

:cool:

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
Nice shootin'!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
Excellent  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©