3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best state for Mule deer elk combo hunt  (Read 218 times)

Offline Hoofhearted

• Trad Bowhunter
Best state for Mule deer elk combo hunt
« on: September 02, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
Never hunted outside the borders of GA.  Me and my dad have been talking about going out west for years, but just never done it.  So, we decided we would like to try to go next year.

I know he wants to take his rifle, so that narrows the time frame down to a rifle season.  So, now I have got to decide which state to try for.  I am thinking we would go for a do it yourself hunt, but a semi - guided hunt may be a option also.  So for those who have been hunting western states, where would you go and why?  Or pros/cons of the state you hunted.

Thanks

Offline Hoofhearted

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best state for Mule deer elk combo hunt
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
forgot to say that I would like hunt with my bow.  So I would like one that allows for archery use during the rifle season.

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
Is a muzzleloader an option for your dad?  If so, Colorado has a muzzleloader season right in the middle of archery and would be a good choice.  Lots of elk and deer.

That being said, I have gotten away from buying tags for different animals on the same hunt.  The best elk country is often not as good for deer, and vice versa.  And it just seems like
I do better if I focus my attention and efforts on one animal.  

Wherever you end up going, enjoy the trip with your dad!  It should be fantastic!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Hoofhearted

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
thanks whip -- yeah, he does have a muzzleloader so that could be decent option -- thanks!!

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whip:
Is a muzzleloader an option for your dad?  If so, Colorado has a muzzleloader season right in the middle of archery and would be a good choice.  Lots of elk and deer.

That being said, I have gotten away from buying tags for different animals on the same hunt.  The best elk country is often not as good for deer, and vice versa.  And it just seems like
I do better if I focus my attention and efforts on one animal.  

Wherever you end up going, enjoy the trip with your dad!  It should be fantastic!
That is a good suggestion, ML is also a draw only proposition, but there are lots of OTC archery units that your dad could put in for a ML draw. With some research on the Colorado Wildlife n Parks website, he would have a good shot at drawing.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
Hoofhearted,

If I were you, I'd book a guide somewhere in The Bob Marshall Wilderness, two districts in there have a "Backcountry Rifle" season that starts September 15th.  That's in the rut, that week and the following can be productive (especially if you have a guide)  Mule Deer would be a bonus.  You dad would have better odds.

And oh yeah, you can bowhunt in Montana's rifle season.  I do it all the time.  You just have to wear 600" of blaze orange above the waste.  Doing it in a Wilderness ups your odds a lot.

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 12:03:00 AM »
Oh, NR tags have been MUCH more available since the passing of I181 in MT.  That initiative took away the "outfitter gauranteed" tags and put everyone in the same drawing.  Which gave non-guided, non-residents the same odds as guys with 10K to burn.

But, the flipside is, tags cost more now...

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 04:26:00 AM »
what about alberta??
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Hoofhearted

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
Thanks for the info!!  Lots of good ideas.

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
Yeah...  What about Alberta?  I'd like to know the skinny on hunting Canada (I'm within an hour of the border)

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
Nevada is a draw state for all big game.  You can hunt archery in gun season.  You can also use scopes on ML during general gun season.
Whip is right about multiple species.  My elk is 1 Oct, and my buck is 5 Oct,  200 miles apart.  Boyh tjose areas are 400 miles from Reno and at 4 bucks a gal, scouting is limited
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©