3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stinky sweaty feet!  (Read 366 times)

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
Stinky sweaty feet!
« on: September 02, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
I have had sweaty feet for years and it causes my feet/boots to smell rancid.  Also I have had to end hunts because my feet have frozen out.  This is not just a hunting problem it happens every day.  Even in flip flops my feet sweat.  

I have tried to remedy this problem before hunt by wearing flip flops and then, when I get to where I am hunting, I put on my socks and boots.  I also layer my socks with a liner and then a thick sock.  I have tried every type of outer sock I can think of.  Cotten, wool, poly ect.  Nothing seems to work.  

Others who have the same problem as me what have you done to prevent sweat?  I think If I can stop or cut back the sweat the smell will go away.  What about an anti-perspirant applied to the feet?
The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years.
---James Forrestal

Sticks and stones will break some bones and feed my family this winter.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stinky sweaty feet!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
I have used a good anti-perspirant on my feet before. Helps from getting my feet wet and cold around here. Now I make sure I have as few layers as possible on during the walk in. That includes socks and hat. Then layer up after I have cooled down a bit. I wear wool or poly pro. The silver antimicrobial liners may help.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
Try gold bond or a powder to absorb the moisture and Lysol spray after the hunt to kill the odor. its more of a gland issue.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
I just throw a good dusting of Gold Bond in my socks and sweat away.  It helps but doesn't solve the problem.  I am a really warm natured person though.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
You can apply anti persperant.  It is a recognized treatment for hyperhydrosis.  It needs to be a clinical strength.  You can also get drysol without a prescription now and you can get some other Rx strength antiperspirants online.  

Sweathelp.org
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
I have a friend that Carey's two pair of socks along. Changes after he gets on stand and again later if doing a long sit.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
Ive known several jarheads over the years with the same problem and anti persperant works.......... spray,roll on, stick or jell. Try different ones till you find one that works best for you. Believe me you wont ignore your nasty feet if the 16 other guys sharing a GP tent cant stand them...............If your feet are really bad you may have to re-apply half way through the day.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
Ditto the anti persperant.Spray everyday for about 5 days and it will really make a difference.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
Hyperhydrosis, excessive sweating, is the problem. Bromohydrosis, the odor, comes from bacteria multiplying in the moist environment. Stop the water stop the odor. Powders help absorb but do not stop the moisture. Over the counter anti-antiperspirants, like aerosol right guard, works for mild cases. Drysol is also a good product. Prescription formulas are available for more difficult to control cases. Treating shoes with a 10% bleach solution kills the bacteria.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I have my wife on a mission to find some RX anti-perspirant tomorrow.  I will try the bleach solution and the lysol.  If that doesn't work I am going to see a doctor.  I will also carry a change of socks into the stand.
The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years.
---James Forrestal

Sticks and stones will break some bones and feed my family this winter.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
I bought these Browning wicking sox from the Sportsmansguide a couple of years ago, in the summer I put cotton sox on and then these Browning sox over them, my feet never sweat and that is out in 90+ humid conditions with work boots on. In the winter I put wool sox on and then the Browning sox over them, if my feet get cold it's not because of sweat, they pretty much stay warm depending on the boots I have on versus the weather conditions.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
i have had the same trouble. id talk to your doc.
Kevin Day

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
Control the sweating as best you can. Take chlorophyl for odor control.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline cuboodle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 11:34:00 PM »
Do your self a favor search for a product called certain dri it will solve your issue

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 06:07:00 AM »
if you're feet are freezing you may just have poor circulation in your feet also!   Something I've noticed since I tweaked my back a number of years ago.  At one time I used to kick every cover off my feet minus my sleeping bags.....now, my feet are cold more often than not!

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 06:40:00 AM »
If you have sweaty feet they get cold a lot faster in a treestand, a little antiperspirant goes a long ways to helping to have warm feet.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 07:40:00 AM »
Deodorant and powder on the feet then baking soda in the boots. You can use a baking soda and peroxide mix with water in a spray bottle for the boots as well.

Offline Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »
You might give Lavalin a try. Its better known as an underarm deordorant. This stuff is amazing one application last for several days. Doesn't stop sweating but kills ordor causing bateria. They have a stronger foot formula.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
X2 on the Certain Dri. It keeps my feet from sweating if I apply it for a couple nights before a hunt. Lasts a couple days, too. Just reapply as needed.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
I've read about women getting botox to stop arm pit sweating. Wonder if that would work on feet?
Might be worth checking into.
Member NCBA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©