3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting near an apple tree  (Read 462 times)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting near an apple tree
« on: September 02, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
I found an apple tree dropping semi and ripe apples on the edge of a soybean field. Will it still be dropping apples Sept 29th for our opening weekend? It is covered up in deer sign and had even been hit midday sometime after the heavier rains.

I've never hunted near an apple tree before so I'm not sure if the apples will still be there for the opener.

Thanks for any information.

God Bless,
Charlie

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting near an apple tree
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
I think any food supply is good. I'd like an opportunity to hunt near an orchard or an apple tree.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
It really depends on the variety of apples - some hold them much longer than others.  But it will likely remain a magnet until they are gone!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
i would think weather it is dropping apples or not it will be a hot spot on the opener. the deer will still curse by just searching. if apples are still on the tree all the better   :thumbsup:
Kevin Day

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
:pray:  Hoping those apples are still there.

How often do you get apples and soybeans literally on top of each other? I mean some of the apples are laying in the soybeans! I wish season was open now....

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
Absolutely hunt the tree if apples are still there.

There are early and late season apple trees.  Last year I had an apple tree dropping apples well into November, but I have also had them done by the middle of October for the late season variety.

The answer is to monitor the tree, they bring turkeys in as well, which is good for my fall turkey tags.  It is a regular circus watching them fight over apples.
Inquiring minds.......

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
I have three "volunteer" apple trees near my favorite spot and they hold a few apples well into November.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 06:13:00 AM »
Like Whip said, seems to depend on the variety.
This place I live on was settled by an apple farmer.
"Old growth" orchard in the front field and the woods/field edges are full of trees, this being the "big crop" year(every second year here). Some trees are bare now and one, a yellow delicious planted by the guy I bought the place from, has its fruit to late November. That tree is 70' from the house and is hard hit until cleaned up. Big scrape there last year.
Monitor your tree(like THAT has to be said!) and then you'll know for future seasons.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »
Charlie     Buy a bushel of apples as needed.Kip  :bigsmyl:    :wavey:    :campfire:

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
Kip has the plan!

Just keep restocking that tree.Check your game laws 1st.
Also if there is a orchard near by?Ask permission to pick up the drops.We could get a pickup load in a few hours w/ a few 5 gallon buckets.
good luck

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 08:32:00 AM »
I hunt some wild apple trees, they hold apples thru October & depending on frost into November, but what I have noticed is once the deer are patterned to go past the apple trees they keep that pattern thru November anyways.

The bucks make scrapes around the wild apple trees also & even though the apples are gone the scrapes are still there so they must keep tending them.

Wild apple trees are as good as it gets for deer hunting.

Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
Up here in NH all the apples are early and I just hope they will still be available in 2 weeks. They are disappearing as soon as they hit the ground. Several trees that are prolific bearers have dropped most of their apples already and I can't even find too many drops. Other food is scarce, as well, so any food source here is going to be good. We don't have soybeans, So, even if  your apples are done by the end of the month you have the beans to play with.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by Whip:
It really depends on the variety of apples - some hold them much longer than others.  But it will likely remain a magnet until they are gone!
Whip is spot on!

We have several apple trees around our house and the deer will gobble them up as soon as they fall. We've seen them do the 2-legged shuffle to try to get the ones even higher in the trees.

Our trees are bare right now of all but a few of the highest apples.

Apples seem to be a "red hot while they last" type of food source......but not really long lived (depending on the type of trees)

Good Luck!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
I wouldn't bugger up the spot by adding apples....just my opinion. Hang back, stay down wind of it. Every "wild" apple tree I know of draws deer year round. Especially alongside a mature soybean field....even the bits of apple and the dried out 'rotten' ones will draw deer for a long time. I have seen deer licking at the "apple cider mud" well into January.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
There still should be some apples.  Seems like apples are scarce everywhere this year, which is why this tree is getting so much attention.  Should be a good set-up for you!

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
A month is a long time if they are dropping now.Everything seems to be ripening early this year.I don't know if it is legal where you are but what about gathering the apples now and putting some back as the apple fall starts to diminish?

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
In Ohio we are allowed to bait deer on private land. This is private land, so I could just keep dropping apples under the tree. Not sure if I want to do that yet. It would be fun to put my trail camera out there. I bet there are some nice fat deer in the area!

Also, The area is super thick. Unless I do major trimming there is only one good/ok tree and all the shots would be about 5-8 yards. How far out would you guys set up? On a travel corridor or right on the tree?

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
Travel corridor. That way you won't bust a deer going in...hopefully. And if they hang up until dark, they may hang up right in front of you, before approaching the tree.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
5-8 YARDS!!!!!!
Too close for my comfort.Everything and I mean everything has to be just right for that range.

Give it a try and if it dosen't workout.Go back after the season and cut a shooting area to get you off the tree more.If you really feel energetic and you know you'll have permission for time to come,Plant a whitepine w/in 20 yrds and maintain that appletree for the future.

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
I have to sneak through a grown over 80 tree orchard cross a creek to get to my stand just to hunt the corn field.Some times they are in the orchard I need to set up a ground ambush in that orchard. Don't everyone want a problem like this  :)
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©