3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Centaur string length  (Read 263 times)

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
Centaur string length
« on: September 03, 2012, 07:33:00 AM »
I'm building a string for a 58 AMO Centaur and my first string came out at 55.25" after twisting and stretching. On the bow, it didn't quite hit the brace height. Twisted to 2 twists per inch, the string was still just a bit long.

So before I twist another one at 57 AMO I thought I'd ask the group if there were any other tricks to working with the extra small limb tips that I should be adjusting for in some other way?

Other than turning the loops back early for that 5/8ths inch loop, I made it just like any other longbow string.
Thanks,
Thom

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Centaur string length
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »
When I make a string for my bows,I like to measure the actual string length if the bow has one.And too I like to measure the bows actual length from nock to nock,I don't go by what is marked on a bow.The I can gauge what pin to start to get a finished length I want.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
Thanks, I should have put that in my original post. 54.5" on the existing one.

If this was a thicker string I'm sure it would have twisted the rest of the way up.
Thom

Offline BowDiddle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
This would be a question for Jim Neaves.

I believe he is a sponsor here as well.

He can probably tell you exactly what you need to know.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts, but I don't see a reason to bother Jim with something like this. I'm sure plenty of folks here have done this before.

If I don't hear anything back on this thread I'll just try one at 57 AMO and maybe another at 58 AMO and measure off an extra 1/4 or 3/8ths of an inch before starting each loop.

BTW, Jim is a sponsor here and he builds a heck of a sweet bow!
Thom

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 11:17:00 AM »
My opinion is that AMO specs are too inconsistent to be much value to me when building a string.  I have 3 different 60 inch bows that all take different length strings???
I have a Centaur Double Carbon from 2006 that is 62" long and takes a 61" string to get the brace correct.
One simple thing that I do is to put a few more twists on each end after all of the tag ends or padding are tied back into the main body of the string.  This will shorten the string somewhat and looks "neater" to my eyes anyway.

Take care,
Jason
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
Hey there bro.... AMO length and actual string length for each bow is going to vary. Did Jim give you a recommended brace height for your bow?  You'd be wise to stay close to his recommendation.

An AMO string length for a 58" bow is 55" my bows take a 55.5" string typically, but each design can vary a bit.... for small loops you'll need a wee bit longer string too... hope that helps... kirk

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
Thanks fellas, I'll just run with my plan and see if the finished length and number of twists looks good. Just wondering if there were any special tricks people used on these.

Normally I have the bow in my hands and make sure strings measure up as I go. This is a buddy's bow that lives a little too far away to make that work this time around.

Kirk, I dropped the peg in the 60 AMO hole on my jig and came out with a perfect string for my Sasquatch on the very first attempt.

Stuff like this gives you an even deeper appreciation for what the sponsor string builders here go through to get those awesome strings built right!
Thom

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
Just get a string from Centaur ... they are very good strings, I use them on several of my LB's with great results.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
Just dropping one peg made this one come out perfectly. 3/4" top loop, 5/8" bottom loop, exactly 54.5" at 1.5 twists per inch.

Tight loops and gradual tapers, it should look great on that bow with red/yellow bundle combo and black accent strands.
   :thumbsup:  
Thom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©