3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowhunters.......Enjoy Dad while you can  (Read 383 times)

Offline Arkansaslongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowhunters.......Enjoy Dad while you can
« on: September 03, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
My Dad is 80 years old and a few weeks back, he had a stroke and is now confined to a wheelchair; we always shared bowhunting camp together until a couple of years ago; his memeory is real bad now and getting worse; it's extremely hard to be at camp without him there; a great christian man who passed the love of hunting down to me at a very early age;

If your Dad is still able to hunt with you, NEVER take it for granted and Enjoy every minute that you can; trust me, it does end...........  :campfire:
May the sun always shine bright on your path and the wind be in your face

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowhunters.......Enjoy Dad while you can
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »
We sometimes take for granted the shared times we've had with family and friends.I lost my son and hunting partner in 2002 and all but about gave up shooting my bow .Bless your FATHER and remember the good times you've had  together,   GOD BLESS

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
As I have said before: who I hunt with is more important than what I am hunting now days.

1.  Dad  (yeah i like to drag his deer out)
1a. My girls (See the outdoors through there eyes)
1b. Wife ( Becasue we have very little time just us)

Thanks for the reminder.

ESP

Offline mountain lion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
my dad was never really a hunter but whenever he was around he would walk through the woods with me while i hunted squirrels. i havent seen him in about ten years and i honestly dont know if he is alive or dead, but i cherish the time we did spend together. that being said it makes me want to be the best father i can, i have a 5 year old son and a 2 year old daughter and im always taking them with me. whether its stump shooting or dove hunting etc, seeing the excitement in there eyes when they hear the gobble of a turkey or see a deer running away is worth every miniute. i wish my father and i could have spent more time together but it is what it is. im looking forward to making many fond memorys in the woods with my children.
Wild Horse Creek  kestrel 60" 56#@28
Black Widow KB X 58" 51@28"
Black Widow PSA lll 60" 52@28"

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
My  eathly Dad only went hunting a time or two with me and my brothers and my Dad never hardly did anything with us...He pretty much told us we were good for nothing and put us down most of the time even in front of his drinking buddys ...I tried most of my life to impress my Dad with whatever I did but never seemed to get that "I'm proud of you son" or "You did good" praise that we men seem to always strive to hear from Dad...Just a "I love you son" would let me know I'm something to him...Back in 1999 I made the decision and asked my real Father to help me quit drinking so I wouldn't end up like my earthly Dad and this year As of October 31th will be my 13th year celabration of not following my Dads footsteps...My dad quit also but he is still misserable as a bear to be around and since I have asked Christ into my heart my Dad has said many comments about me being a Christian and nothing nice really...My wife and I have adopted two children and one has special needs and my Dad made some rude comments about that and just recently I told him we are about to adopt another special needs and again he asks "WHY"? You guys are near 50 years old? ...I tell my girls every night I love them and every morning I quietly go into their bedroom and ask God to Bless their day and put a hedge of protection around them while I'm away at work and I whisper I love you to them...I don't know why I looked into this post but I'm glad to see some Dads are good dads to their sons and daughters ...When my Mom passed Dad wasn't even there by her side to tell her it was o.k. to go home...He couldn't deal with her passing but I did hold her hand and walked her to the gate and said "Go Home Mom" I'll see ya later on the other side and I told her Thank you for raising my brother's ,sister and I up with all the love she gave us and I watched a tear roll down her cheek as she took her last breath here on earth....I'm so glad and I praise God not to let me be like my earthly Dad but to be the man He would want me to be...I struggle daily and I have a long road to walk but I know my heavenly Father Loves me and that his blessings of our children are gifts from Him and that is a reminder that I have the best Dad ever....Thanks Dad...
     Keefers<><

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
My Father has been gone since 1997 and altho he didn't hunt and we were not that close I wish I could call him up just to say HI
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
I never pass up a chance to talk about my dad and the influence he had on me. He was an avid bowhunter and took me with him from the time I was big enough to know what was going on.We were best hunting buddies and we enjoyed every hunting season until he passed away in 2004. I really enjoy seeing pics of people with their kids. It is the best of the best,bowhunting. Thanks Dad.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline DaddyPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
4/24/1994...miss him everyday.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
I lost my dad on June 23, 2009 at the young age of 64.
Dad was never a hunter, but he took me rabbit hunting and squirrel hunting as a youngster.  Finally, in 1979 he took me deer hunting.  All those times we went, I never saw my dad kill an animal.
On our annual deer hunt in 1985, I was fortunate to take my first deer.  We left camp that night, and that was the last day my dad ever hunted.
I miss him every single day and think about him every single day.
After he died, I realized that the only reason he ever took me hunting was to introduce me to the outdoors and let me make a choice as to whether or not I would become a hunter.
Thanks dad.
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
My dad's has been gone for 21 years now and has been missed every day.  When we go on our trips to Africa or Alaska he is with us every time.  Please take the time and make sure you take him with you if you can.  You'll remember it forever.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
My father introduced me to hunting. He too never killed anything with gun or bow while we were hunting. He just never had the right recipe for success.

He drew on a doe once, and as the fawn appeared behind the doe he let down. I guess God gave him the chance and he passed based on his personal ethics. Dad passed His test, I guess. I'll always remember his respect for the animals he did hunt, his personal ethics, and his adherence to established hunting laws.

My father is now 74 and hasn't hunted in over 15 years or so. with a bad back and a rough working life taking a toll on his body he just doesn't have the desire.

I'd give anything to have some of those hunts back. My memory of them fades with time.

Thanks for posting Arkansaslongbow.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
My Dad was not a bowhunter, but we had lots of great times together in the field with our deer rifles.  I've got several great friends...some of which I hunt with...but rarely do I see in their eyes the "true" understanding of a great day in the field when I try to share my experiences of seeing various flora and fauna while in the hunting fields.  "Their success" usually meant or means "animals killed or fish caught".  In my opinion my Dad always "got it"....killing stuff was fine and he appreciated meat in the freezer...but he...like I...really enjoyed seeing all of the animals, plants, and weather phenomenon while out of doors....He never really talked to me about his feelings regarding hunting, fishing, and filling of limits...Some how I always seemed to enjoy just going fishing and hunting for just being able to get out from the city and enjoy these activities...(mainly with him, my PawPaw, and my brother).....which always held a special magic for me......These days I see so many "cool to me" things when hunting and fishing that I wish that I would be able to share with him if he were still alive....I'm hoping that my sons will some day "get it" like my Dad did.....

Yes!!  If your Dad is still around...enjoy time with him...especially in nature if possible!!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
sorry to hear about your dad. I still have both of my parents for now and I see and talk to them daily. my dad doesnt hunt anymore and got out of our deer camp a few years ago but Im gonna try and get him to go with me at least a couple times this year for squirrels if nothing else.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 06:52:00 AM »
Dad took me squirrel hunting when I was young. He was done with hunting by that time in his life, but I pestered him till he took me.
He's been gone now for 12 years but every sept when it rains and I smell that smell in the air...I never forget those days.
Slickhead

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 07:32:00 AM »
Yep, I'll never forget my hunt with my Dad a few years back. A man that put the love of the outdoors in my brother and me.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline DrMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »
Never take your love ones for granted. That goes for your Dad,Mom,or sons and daughters always tell them you love them.
Aim small, miss small

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 09:12:00 AM »
I agree, take the time if you can. Mine has been gone for 9 years now. He shot his last elk when he was 85, very cool.  

Don
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
7/24/2012 marked 15 years my dad has been gone.  I was 15 at the time, so I've spent half my life without him. I miss him dearly every day.

I've been married a year, and we're planning on children soon. I can't wait to share the outdoors with them like my dad did with my brother and me. I hope I end up being half the man he was.

On an upbeat note, I am lucky in many regards. I have a great mom and have also been blessed with a great stepdad. Some folks aren't lucky enough to have even one good parent, and I've had three.

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 02:40:00 PM »
I'm still pretty young, only 28, and my dad is only 53, so hopefully I will have quite a few years hunting with him.  He's taught me most of what I know about hunting and is one of the best bowhunters that I've met in N. Louisiana, even if he does use a wheel bow.  (I'm working on that though).

My grandfather passed away 2 years ago at the age of 78 and the next year's season wasn't the same without him.  He hunted right to the end and killed a nice 7-point less than a year before he passed.  Him and my dad have been probably the two biggest/best influences in my life.

I have a 6 yr old son and a 4 yr old daughter and I hope I do as well for them as my dad and grandfather did for me.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline jon_j

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »
15 years ago today my Dad died - taught me a lot of baseball, hunting (all kinds) and trout fishing.  You never know when you say goodbye if it will be the last time.  SO - say the things you only think!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©