3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Static Recurve Question  (Read 843 times)

Offline coldpaddler

• Trad Bowhunter
Static Recurve Question
« on: August 09, 2007, 01:26:00 AM »
Could someone explain the benefits of a static recurve limb.  I have seen several bows from the 1950's era that have this configuration, but you don't see many produced these days.  I assume it’s because the cast of a longbow or a working recurve is superior.  What are your thoughts??

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Static Recurve Question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
there was a post a while back that gave an excellant explanation of static tips.  Actually, static tip recurves are more effecient and quieter than working tip recurves, but you don't see many because from what I understand, they are harder to produce.  I have a bow with static tips and love it, in fact I ordered another.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »
Static tips use leverage to increase the eficiency of the draw.  As string angle increases, leverage is lost and you have to pull harder to store the same amount of energy in the limbs.  The static tips lower string angle and therefore allow the same energy storage with less effort.

Plus, they are just plain cool looking.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
Does any manufacturer of Olympic class limbs make static limb set for ILF riser?

I anticipate that where price is less important than performance, static limb sets would be available.
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »
Lance,

I've thought about this, as well.  Having heard that static tips were more efficient and smoother would make it a sure thing in the ILF market.  I wonder if it has been done and why it isn't more prevalent.  

They might be accomplishing the same or better with materials and other designs...would be an interesting topic to read, though.

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »
Since there has been no response identifying a target limb manufacturer who offers static recurve limb sets, I suspect the benefits of static recurve limbs are nothing to get excited about.
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Offline Jarrod Feiner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
I have looked at the static recurve as if the limbs work like a crow-bar: leverage, immediate tension.

Contrast this to the more commercial version of recurve limbs which unspool like a rolled carpet.
"Your own soul, as a hunter, has gone out to fasten on the soul of the deer, even before the deer has any wind of you, it is so. It is a subtle, profound battle of wills , which takes place in the invisible" D.H. Lawrence

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 03:37:00 PM »
"Since there has been no response identifying a target limb manufacturer who offers static recurve limb sets, I suspect the benefits of static recurve limbs are nothing to get excited about."

I think if you shot an RER, you'd change your mind.  Us knuckledraggers with long draw's LOVE static tip recurves.  The fact that no one makes static tipped limbs for a target bow means diddly squat.
Otto

Offline archrmn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »
Who is making them today, I see older styles but cant find new ones. Thanks.

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 04:20:00 PM »
could someone please post a picture of a static tip recurve or give a name of one, i am curious and i have never seen one at least one that i could identify as one.
thanks

Offline Rusty Izatt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
Here is the static tip on my 52" Texas Recurve Comanche.

The new Sheepeater Spirit made by Black Mountain Bows has static tips also.

Rusty

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
I think what Lance was driving at was that if the companies that spend millions in r/d on the Olympic equipment thought that static tips were worth exploring, they would....a discussion of those in the know of why/why not might be interesting.

RER makes a great bow, I've owned several and still own an Arroyo...diddly squat might not explain it quite right, though.

If anyone has real insight, it would be interesting to hear.

Offline hs6181

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »

2 views of my favorite bow
Harold

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »
Classic Bowhunting Company makes the "Sheepeater" recurve.Another modern day static tip recurve is John Fazio's Ballistik.I had a Bear Static Tip Recurve that I should have kept.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »
Sovereign Archery[John Fazio]also has a one piece called the Trident I should have mentioned.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 05:28:00 PM »
Static limbs would be a challenge to build with carbon.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Yellowsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
If your looking for an eurasian style recurve check out Saluki bows.  These style of bows always have static tips.  Grozer and Kassai also make eurasian style bows with static tips.  The bows made by Grozer and Kassai use fiberglass limbs.

Offline J-Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
I have a feeling that the reason there arent static tiped ILF limbs is because, with those super light weight arrows they shoot, combined with the excess weight at the tips to stiffen them, it would add up to some serious hand shock, which isnt good when you shoot alot of arrows.  

With most trad hunting guys shooting several medium to heavy arrows at short ranges, it probably isnt relevent.

Just a thought...........
The wind messed me up, what were you thinking?

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »
Jack Kemph makes his quick styk recurve with static tips
Gord

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
Current makers of bows with static limbs are, RER, Sovereign, Charing, Horne ( semi-static), Acadian ( semi-static), and I am certain there are others that I do not know about or can't think of at the present. I have shot some static limb recurves and find they seem to be a bit faster than standard limb recurves, but speed isn't everything. All of the makers mentioned above make excellent quality bows.

Louis
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©