3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pack goats and bowhunting  (Read 471 times)

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pack goats and bowhunting
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
For any of you that have knee or back issues that prevent you from carrying a pack or meat, goats really can be your ticket to the backcountry.  For camping, backpacking or hunting, they can be a wonderful asset.

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
Would love to see some pics of these guys in action!!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline ROB TAYLOR

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
Oxnam,
Great info!  I don't have the setup to have goats but have been very intrigued with the idea since reading several threads on here years ago.  They must have been relegated to some archive somewhere as I can't find them on a search.  IIRC, the guy who had them...and appeared very knowledgeable in their use, as you do...was out of Oregon.  All great and interesting info.  Goats would be the way to go...like I always tell my wife (who THINKS she wants a horse), "The best horse is someone else's horse!"
>>>--TGMM-Family of the Bow--->

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
Dang, i want a goat!   Google pics has some cool images

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
I don't have experience with pack goats but when I was a kid we had one that my dad rigged up a cart for.  He did a decent job of pulling it but there was no way to guide him -- ornery old cuss.  Dad wound up selling him to a neighbor.  

We used him for a couple of years clearing fence rows. He'd eat ANY vegetation!

Offline perry f.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 11:45:00 PM »
I have a cart for my pack goats. I take the long handle out of my frog gig, tie some fresh leaves to it, and the dangle out in from of the goat. Works like a charm, and the kids have a ball. They wear one goat out and then get the next one. We have to stay out of the front yard though. We about caused a wreck last time. I told the people, "Some people have a go-cart, but we have a goat cart."

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2012, 01:07:00 AM »
Oxnam,
I am interested in how you divide the Elk meat load on your goats. Are you carrying a scale? I haven't tried an Elk on mine and worry I will overload them. Any tips would be appreciated.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »
Cool. I love horses and mules, but they can be a major pain in the arst on a lot of different levels. Thanks
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline pbr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »
Where were the goats when you shot your elk? Did you leave them tied up at that point, or were they with you during the stalk and shot?

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
This is all very interesting. I have heard of lamas being used, but didn't know about pack goats.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
hey guys... there is another thread about the elk hunt too. On this or that thread he talks about splitting up the meat and that the goats were right behind him when he shot the elk....
pretty cool. My wife may take away my Tradgang if I end up getting goats : )
His dad had a quarter, he had front shoulders and boned out meat was on some goats if I remember right.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »
I hunted in CO with my buddy Charlie Marshall for years.  Charlie had pack goats..Sannens I think.  They were awesome and a great part of the trip.  They could pack anywhere.  You didn't have to do anything with them except a little bit of food in camp.  They roamed free when we were in camp.  They just hung around.  When we left camp we would tie them up or they would follow you.  But in camp they were like pets.  Not the best eyesight though at distances!  If they saw an animal in the distance they ran back to camp!  Funny!  I miss those old goats.  They are all gone now.  Old age and Mountain Lions got them.

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
Thanks Oregon Okie.

Originally posted by Canyon:
Oxnam,
I am interested in how you divide the Elk meat load on your goats. Are you carrying a scale? I haven't tried an Elk on mine and worry I will overload them. Any tips would be appreciated.
I didn't have a scale, but just have a pretty good feel for what they can pack.  Earlier on in packing I did always carry a little fishing scale to keep the loads balanced.  The backstraps and tenderloins were real easy to balance in panniers.  And the boned hind quarter was pretty easy also.  We had it boned in one large chunck, so I just eyeballed it and chuck the large chunk in half.  The were close to even but cut about a two pound chunk off the heavier side to balance it off.

The terrain wasn't too steep, downhill, and we didn't have any major obstacles so I felt comfortable giving him a heavier load than normal.  Goats can normally handle a fourth of their weight and even 1/3 if they are conditioned and the terrain isn't too strenuous.  Putting measure weight on them in the off season can help you figure out what your guys can handle.

Originally posted by pbr:
Oxnam,
Where were the goats when you shot your elk? Did you leave them tied up at that point, or were they with you during the stalk and shot?
They were right behind when I shot and stayed with me the enire hunt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©