3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Goals for the season?  (Read 1189 times)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Goals for the season?
« on: August 09, 2007, 07:42:00 AM »
Something to ponder as the seasons approach and for some are here.

Do you go into the season with a set goal for the animal you hope to take? Does the goal change as the season progresses? Are you a follower of take any animal on the first day that you would be happy with on the last?

Lots of new, veteran and in the middle bowhunters here so I thought it would be interesting to see how the goals compare.

In VT we are allowed only 2 deer over the three seasons and only one with antlers with the bow so I don't mind milking the season out for a buck and putting a good doe in the freezer when the chance presents itself.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Goals for the season?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »
My goal is to have an enjoyable hunting experience. Enjoy the woods, see some critters, hunt with some old friends. I would like to take another animal with a flint head, but the success of my season won't depend on it.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 08:09:00 AM »
I would like to get out as much as I can for starters. The past couple years I passed on a few animals. This year I'm looking for meat. You know they say you can't eat the antlers... Oh wait! Ferrets deer eat them! May be I'll try it too.   :bigsmyl:
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 08:10:00 AM »
Same thing here.  My goal is to be able to hunt all season and enjoy as much time as possible in the woods.  The abundance of deer in WI during recent years and the chance for more than one tag make it less of a delemia on what and when to shoot.  But even now I still pass up far more than I shoot.
The worst bow season I have ever had was back when we were only allowed one deer with the bow and I shot a buck my first time out for the season.  I regreted that one the rest of the fall.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 08:12:00 AM »
My goal is to make memories, friends, and meat. And to have a bloodtrail like James Wrenn    :notworthy:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 08:18:00 AM »
My goal for the year is to get out as much as I can and enjoy my time spent in the outdoors.  I am still looking for my first traditional bow killed deer so if that happens it would just be icing on the cake.  Only 7 more weeks here in Michigan.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 08:19:00 AM »
to have time to hunt.
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »
My goal is aways to bring home anything I decide to shoot at.Other than that is just to have fun while hoping to get those shots.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 08:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jerry Jeffer:
 You know they say you can't eat the antlers... Oh wait! Ferrets deer eat them! May be I'll try it too.    :bigsmyl:  
I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!  

Top goal this year would be to stalk and kill a deer in it's bed without it knowing I was there.  Would also like to take a couple deer for the freezer.  Man, I love bowhunting!
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »
my first deer!, I hunt all seasons and it would be cool if my first deer was with a trad bow
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 08:40:00 AM »
Lots of meat.  Full freezer.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 08:55:00 AM »
Kill my first caribou and bear with a bow. Never hunted either and now have a chance at both on the same hunt. Is life great or what.

Also would like to take some exotics on my new lease here in Texas and enjoy a month of hunting with my Bro when he gets here in December.

Just to be in the woods makes it all worth while.

Donald
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 09:00:00 AM »
Savor each moment: in the woods, on the hunt, at the campfire with friends both old and new. "There are only so many..."
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline OzarkRamblr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 09:04:00 AM »
I plan on hunting more & harder. That doesn't mean I'm going to only concentrate on the deer though. I just plan on putting myself in the woods more.
"A friend of mine said that I'm lucky, I told him luck has nothing to do with the life I chose, we choose the life we have and don't have, so choose wisely"...Kingwouldbe

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 09:10:00 AM »
Probably won,t change much, It would have to be a monster to get me to pull the string to early in the season, My wife always accuses me of holding out and using all the season, she is probably close.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 09:10:00 AM »
My goals are to get as many days afield as I can.  To get back as much of my garden(and landscape plants) in the form of doe meat as I can.  To shoot only 110" or higher bucks.  To go on a wilderness paddle-in hunt and to hunt my late grandfather's farm and my friend's late grandfather's farm.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »
I have killed enough deer that I don't feel the need to kill something. I just want to enjoy mine time in the woods and if an opportunity presents to make a confident shot then I'll take it.  I hope to use the first part of the season to 'learn' how to stalk an animal, any animal be it a coon, squirrel or deer.  I have always hunted tree stands where I stomp in and out not paying too much attention about the sound I make.  Since this is my first season with a stick bow I plan to employee an all approach (litterally) to my hunting.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline DMM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 09:18:00 AM »
This year I hope to have my first shot opportunity at an elk.  Then because of the liberal antlerless permits for deer around home.  I normally take the first fat doe or two I can (my wife and kids love to eat deer), then I like to spend as much quality time as possible in the woods.  This year I would like to take a deer from the ground and I am planning to setup a "double treestand" so my seven year old can sit with me during the early season.
"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me."
Genesis 27:3

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »
Spend as much time as possible in the woods. Hunt at least 2 weeks with my Dad. Take my 5yr old daughter hunting with me.

This is my first season with a stickbow so hopefully it will result with my first traditional deer. I am planning on taking the first adult doe or any buck of reasonable size that presents me with a comfortable shot.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
I am hoping that things will go as smooth in real life as they do in my head  ;)  I am looking forward to my first trad kill..since I was 10. I am looking forward to another deer camp with my son. And last but not least lots and lots of meat for my family.
G
Oh yea some cold weather..
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©