3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Goals for the season?  (Read 1191 times)

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Goals for the season?
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »
My goal for this year is to have a close encounter with the monster behind the house. I don't necessarily have to shoot him, but I want to see him up close. It's been 12 or 13 years since I've had a 160"+ deer up close, and I can still remember the rush like it was yesterday.

Last year I filled my buck tag 1 1/2 hours into the season.... not this year. I don't need the meat that bad.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 09:54:00 AM »
My goals this year are to take a good size doe and my first antlered buck with a bow.  I doubt I'll take a spike, but a good forkhorn?  Maybe.  I'll know when the deer is in front of me.  And as always the goal is a quick, clean, humane kill.  Oh, and my first sika deer (preferably a stag) would be Icing on the cake.  Other than that, it'll just be nice to enjoy getting back into seriously focusing on deer hunting.  My mind has been on the ducks and geese the past few seasons.

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 09:57:00 AM »
P&Y buck with a longbow!  It is, and will be my goal, until I get it done.  I'm spending the first week of November in Pike Co. IL.  This will be my first hunting trip north of Tennessee and I can't wait.  My goal in Alabama will be same as always, as many as I can take with my longbow.  That usually means 2 or 3.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »
What Ferret said. Enjoy. Jawge

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2007, 09:59:00 AM »
A. Enjoy the time outdoors, and the experiences it brings. B. Take any animal I decide to quickly and efficiently. C. Introduce someone to the wonders of archery hunting. D. Hopefully connect with the bear(s) that has been raiding the yard/garbage/birdfeeders...  :thumbsup:
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »
As Gene Wensel once said, I plan on spending as much time as possible in the " Cathedral of the Pines"(or hardwoods in my case)  We are blessed with a very long season and liberal bag limits, but can only take one antlered deer. Shooting a doe or two is on the agenda but not necessary. I'm hoping for a close encounter with a buck I got a glimpse of last year, I don't really have to kill him, but I want to get close enough to feel that rush of adrenaline!!
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Online Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2007, 10:10:00 AM »
I really want to kill some squirrels and rabbits this year.  I would really like to take a coyote and a bobcat with a longbow.  A doe would be nice as well.  My Dad retired this year and I would like to get to go on some hunts with him.  We haven't gotten to do that much the last few years.  We are planning on a little outing together with my sons as well.  You really couldn't ask for more than that.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by John Scifres:
Lots of meat.  Full freezer.
Me TOO!!!

My doc ok'd it as my Cholesterol is way too high... Man this fish, oatmeal, and chicken diet is getting old!!!
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
My goal is everytime I step into the woods during hunting season with my stick and string is to harvest an animal. As what has already been stated, my sucess is not measured on if I accomplish that goal, but that is my goal. And here in Michigan we have very liberal harvest quotas so I can be pretty selective on when and what I harvest.
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline Flatstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »
David, to answer your questions directly:

1. Do you go into the season with a set goal for the animal you hope to take?

Yes, I normally do have some type of goal in mind when it comes to the size of buck I want to take. But the first and foremost is to take the first doe or two that I can because not only do I enjoy the hunt but also I truly enjoy eating venison! I love the emotional & spiritual outdoor experience and savor the taste of it too!  

2. Does the goal change as the season progresses?

No, not usually. I generally set a goal for the area I’m hunting based on what is there. I’m lucky enough to live on the stateline and can hunt two states, in one state I hunt on private ground only hunted by the landowner and myself so my goals are pretty high there. In the other state I hunt the same ground as everyone else does in this area, my goals are lower and opportunities are fewer and far between there. But still situations come up that over ride personal goals,,one year during pre-rut I had a buck that with a couple more years on him would be an exceptional deer. But as he approached along an active scrape line he just was not acting right. As he got closer I could see why, someone had gut shot him with a slug low in the belly (gun season was still a week away!). My goals were higher but never so high to let a suffering animal walk by and die a slow death.

3. Are you a follower of take any animal on the first day that you would be happy with on the last?

Not when it comes to hunting my home ground during a full season. But if I were on a short hunt in some other state with limited time I would shoot the same animal on the first day as I would the last.

Sorry for the long reply but I hope it's the kind of answers you were looking for.
"Good Luck" & "Shoot Straight!"

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »
It has been said to never pass on an animal the first day, that you would gladly take the last day.  

I guess I'm shooting every squirrel that gets within 5 yards of me while in the deer stand.  :)

My goal is a deer and a turkey with my homemade bow.
Jesus died for us!  Following him brings us closer to God.  Think about it!

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »
"It has been said to never pass on an animal the first day, that you would gladly take the last day. "
That a good adage, I still ain't learned that'un myself.    ;)

Ferret pretty well summed it up for me too.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline brendon7800

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
My goal is to finish my first traditional homemade recurve selfbow before the season starts. Oct 1st around these parts. I'm trying not to rush it and make a hasty mistake, but I just want to shoot the dang thing!

Beyond that I'd like to spend more time hunting with my dad and brother. And take a turkey and a deer this season with my trad bow. (they would both be my first animals with a bow)
If Chuck Norris were a boywer... well he wouldn't be because he can just roundhouse kick his enemies to death.

Offline Huntrdfk@Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
First and foremost, to be able to hunt as much as possible, that alone will make my season a success.

Second, I do want to bloody three different bows this year, my Kwyk Styk, an old Bear Alaskan, and finally an osage selfbow, not neccessarily in that order....

David

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2007, 01:37:00 PM »
My primary goal is to put some venison in my freezer while enjoying the multiple hunting destinations I travel to each year.  One of these days I'd like to take a really big antlered whitetail or mulie buck, but most of the time I'm just as happy with a well-placed shot on whatever God gives me.   :archer:  .

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »
Hard to improve on what Claudia has mentioned above.  

To return home safely...to enjoy the warmth of the full moon, to give my quarry a more than sporting chance, and to take no shot that results in a blood trail beyond fifty yards.  

These are my hopes...my goals...my passion.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Noelkman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »
As uncouth as it may be to put a number on an animal, my goal for elk season is a 320+ bull. The area we hunt has the bulls, the challenge is in finding one and getting close enough. That said, they changed the limit from 5pt. or better to any elk, and I would be happy with a fat cow in the freezer this winter.

For the Jan deer hunt, any legal mule deer buck is the goal.

Remember, goals are for people that are afraid to improvise.  ;)

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2007, 03:13:00 PM »
Like most every body, i want one bigger than the last one.. It doesn't always happen that way though. Its just whatever the mood is or circumstances are for me, i've got plenty of time and i'm in no hurry to end my seson. I use to be one of those IF ITS BROWN ITS DOWN, and i can't say i'm still not like that, i've taken a lot of deer with a bow and i still have to ask myself(will another one get this close). I've found over the years that yes they will. Patience-Patience-Patience..  :archer:    :pray:
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline Robert Warnock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
I  have only beeh shooting trad for a month, so I don't know if I will be ready to take a deer this season or not.  However, I am now retired so I plan to spen a lot of enjoyable time in the woods. Hope to meet some old friends and make some new ones.

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
My goal is to have a safe hunting season with well placed arrows. Every deer to me is a gift that I truly cherish-regardless of sex.
 I will pass on this year's young deer and would like to shoot a bear or turkey this fall.
 There is never enough time for me to spend in the woods so I enjoy what I do have to the fullest.That stretch from Jan. to Oct. just seems so long!
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©