3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Adirondack wilderness canoe trip  (Read 719 times)

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
Adirondack wilderness canoe trip
« on: August 09, 2007, 10:11:00 AM »
After reading the entire adirondack attack thread and regretting not being able to attend it this year it got me thinking.  I've always dreamed of doing a wilderness canoe hunt and am considering the adirondacks as a possability for next year.  I'm more interested in doing it for the solitude than filling a tag.  that would be great (especially for the chance at a bear!), but is secondary to the reasons I'd like to get away for a week or so.  I have an old sports afield article on something similar in the cranberry lake region and wanted input on that or other areas to consider, anyone's experiences on something similar here, time of year to consider, etc.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Adirondack wilderness canoe trip
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
Indian lake area is supposed to hold quite a few bear if I heard right...sounds like an awesome time either way. Good luck on your quest. Im sure some of the "dack" boys will chime in to help you out.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »
look at the 5 ponds area and Stillwater Reservoir too. All of these areas are popular, so don't be afraid to look at some maps and find areas that are off the beaten path if you are looking for TRUE solitude.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
Moose River Plains is the best I know of up that way.Its just outside the village of Indian Lake. You can launch a canoe from Limekiln Lake campground and do a bit of travelling through the area.Not exactly wilderness but its pretty wild.Lots of game there too.I took a bear not too far from there and theres and  plenty left.If the beech trees are good youll be in deer, bear and turkeys.A ton of grouse up there also.Honestly though you might not see deer everyday but theres been some beasts taken out of there.Drop me a line if you wind up going.Id be glad to show you around up there.
                                Izzy

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 11:43:00 AM »
Did a lot of what you posted about on the Cedar River Flow some 35 or more years ago. Did a lot around Cranberry & Little Tupper also. Don't know how just much wilderness there is aywhere any more, but those areas we floated back then, we never saw anyone else anywhere.

You can get into some pretty remote places up there. As Izzy said, "you might not see deer every day" but when you do they're usually worth the wait!  Also, some of the little beaver pond brookies on flies were like miniature jewels. Talk about perfection . . Makes you believe there's more to this world than just us!!!

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »
I used to hunt the Moose River Recreation Area/Cedar  River Flow years ago. I probly covered every mile between Old Forge and Indian Lake

(40 miles as the crows flys of pure wilderness "Gods Country"!!!!!)
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 03:11:00 PM »
woodchucker - they let you in the MRR? or should I say, they let you OUT?  :)

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »
Wow!  Thanks for the responses guys!  I'm making an early new year's resolution that this trip will happen.  Herkimerhunter, I'll deffinitely be picking your brain on this.  LAR43, a flyrod will deffinitely be packed along with the bow.  Brooktrout are one of the most beautiful creatures out there.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »
When I used to hunt up there.....The Rangers wouldn't let anyone drive back ito the Cedar River Flow (after Oct. 1st) without 4 wheel drive or tire chains.....(the Rangers used BOTH    ;)  )

I think they were worried about "SNOW" LOL    :rolleyes:

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »
I would have to agree with Izzy, The Moose River Plains would be "IT"!!!!!

There is a HUGE deer yard back in there too.....With a little "Early Snow"     :rolleyes:  

If you have a 4WD and would prefer to drive in I would suggest the Cedar River Flow. The entrance is just North of the village of Indian Lake,Take a left off Rt.30 and you can drive for about 20-30 miles back in.

(Hard packed secondary/Gravel road)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
Yup, Moose River Plains is awesome. Very remote yet accessable by road and canoe. We fished that area all the time when I was a kid, many good ponds with some nice brookies back then !! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 05:14:00 PM »
when would this thing be?
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »
I'd like to do this next season.  Its not too late to do it this year, except for money and time being focused in other areas this season.  I'll have to look at some maps but you guys have given me a great starting point.  Thanks!  Moose river plains is looking like a strong possability.

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »
Dont kid yourself there is alot of wilderness up there. I grew up in Utica & spent alot of time through the area as a kid. Have 4 wheel drive & chains, & bring a chain saw & emergency equipment. I think that is the area that a hunter died last year because they couldnt get out after a storm. I think it was a heart attack & rescue crews couldnt get in either. Its a fun area but when fall arrives you just never know about the weather. Have fun up there as it is a unique area but please be safe & careful.  Regards,  Mike
Big Mike

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »
Yep better have a chain saw if you want to hunt and a fallen tree blocks the road.

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 09:04:00 AM »
do I smell an early season tradgang deer/bear hunt shaping up?  :)

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
It sure does sound like it!!!!!   :archer:

Online VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
My son and I are heading over for a 4 day trip in the St Regis Canoe area tomorrow. Not real remote but usually see deer and I'm not sure but I would bet they'res a lot less people there in October.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline First White Falcon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »
Just got back from Lake Placid area, beautiful country. Everyone has one Kayak or two on their car and a fly rod in the back of their car. Highest point,4800 Ft. or so, but very steep.
That would be a trip of a lifetime.
Grant  :archer:

Offline von

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2007, 05:44:00 PM »
Did a lot of trapping in the dead creek flow on Cranberry lake 20 years ago , never saw a deer but several bears and at least 3 different MOOSE! Its a great area and you won't see a soul other than maybe a ranger near town. when the gun season opens the whole lake becomes a busy city at every available camping spot .

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©