3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advice on getting a deer out?  (Read 428 times)

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
Advice on getting a deer out?
« on: September 05, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
Last year I got permision to hunt 80 scres on the side of a mountain with access only from the top.  I only had the chance to hunt it one time and thought how will I ever get a deer out of here?  I am planning on hunting it more this year and my thoughts are to quarter the deer up and pack it out.  I know there are several people on here that are experienced with this. Can you give me some advice?  This is something that I have never done.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advice on getting a deer out?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
This was posted a few weeks ago. Pretty good technique.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=119365
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
What I do is hunt with young guys.    :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
I understand your concern ALwoodsman. I have cut deer in half and carried them out more than once.  Thank you for posting that link Bud B. I'm gonna give that I try myself.
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 12:55:00 AM »
This is what I had left to carry out after using the gutless method on the small buck in my Avatar. Carried him out in one load from a deep canyon in Northern AZ. If it would have been much larger or further out I would have boned the four corners and stripped the ribs. Only way I do big game unless they fall in a road.
 Click the pic for a larger view.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 01:10:00 AM »
Buy a quality internal frame pack and debone it where it lays.  I hunt several places like you described and I will tell you that from many many times of dragging deer back up the mountain, this is the easiest way.

If you decide to drag it, cut or get a stout stick about three feet long, tie the front legs up around the head and leave about 14-15 inches between the stick and the deer.  Turn downhill towards the deer, bend over and backup, dig you fee in and pull it to your feet.  Like a rowing machine.  Work but not to bad versus the standard dragging method.

Like I said, done both quite a bit and dragged a lot more than the backpack because that didn't used to be legal here, but I never intend to "row" one back up the side of a mountain again.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 06:34:00 AM »
So it looks like it might be a good idea to take a sheet of plastic to lay the meat on?  Do most of you use garbage bags to pack the meat in?

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 06:47:00 AM »
My state requires the deer to be checked before disassembling. We can do that by phone, but some mountains have no service. I have used a rope and patience, a Deer Sleigh'r, and a toboggan at different times.

I have seen others use a woven plastic feed bag as a drag.
Hopefully your state lets you dismantle before transport to checkin.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 07:04:00 AM »
I got a deer cart several years ago, and it has been a life saver.  It balances nicely and with a little patience it if pretty effortless getting a gutted deer out of the woods.

I'm not sure in a mountain situation.  I hunt on forty acres and I'm pretty out of shape, and it makes it expnetially easier for me.  Get a good one that is well made. It would be an option if you want to get the whole carcass out ..

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 07:19:00 AM »
I hunt alone and I have a "Stag Drag" which is a rolled up piece of heavy duty plastic. Inexpensive and very light. Have'nt used it on a deer yet but I think it will work fine.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
Maybe a string of pack goats.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
I use a game cart and love the thing.  Get one with very strong wheels.  Last year I got a cow elk out by my self in one miserable trip.(I should have made two)
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Old Chief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
I carry cotton game bags in a large plastic garbage bag.  Lay the meat on the plastic bag, but do not pack meat in one.  The plastic bag will not allow the meat to cool and if you have warm weather, it will spoil.  Use cotton bags for the packing and remember to pack out your plastic bag.

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
Bone it out, pack it in pillow cases. Simple an clean.
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline pcappy08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
deer cart as well for me....it has turned what used to be anywhere from a 5 to 8 hr drag to in the truck in 35 min
Great Northern Super Ghost
56" 60lbs @ 29"
Morrison Cheyenne
62lbs @ 29"

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »
Cut the meat off it.  Put it pillow cases and in a pack.  A deer don't weigh much once it's off the bone.  Especially them itty bitty Alabammy deer  :)

We finally got computer check in here so I will never drag another deer as long as I can check them in.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
I phone them in and then bone them out if in real difficult terrain. Alot easier than dragging in the hills in western Va.-nothing like out west but not pleasant either.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
Deer cart for me.

The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
Did a deer in ND for a friend just like this yesterday.  Took 30 min. Out we walked with no stress.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=119365
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
Jet Sled works for me deep enough for the deer to lay down in and not fall out, and heavy duty enough to last for several years.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©